Blob Plus 12 Pounds

The Natural

As I have said before the Original is a "bear" and even Tex and during Chads Grip gauntlet try were both stopped by a upright pinch ( amazingly, they both have made it lying on face) If anyone wants to be truly king of "The Blob".............it sits right here with all the "bragging rights" attached!RS

Thanks for the invite to the compound! Sounds like a fun field trip.

But I have a question. In the quote above, you said that Tex and Chad picked it up by the face but could not pick it up in the normal way. I've curled a blob by the face ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7MJW6ExDY ) and I was under the impression that this is, generally speaking, a MUCH harder thing to do than a normal "upright" lift. So is the O-Blob special in that the by-the-face lift is actually easier, generally speaking, than an upright lift? If so, then the shape of it must be very different than what I have in mind. Would you happen to have a picture on file?

Thanks,

Rex

nice strong lifts rex your hand looks to be as big as jedds and in all this grip stuff thats a plus you could probably give the inch a ride and also try 3 25lb plates Richard Sorin will probibly tell you but the blob he has is rounder on the sides and harder to grasp i have an older one but the size of your hands you will probibly lift it for sure you also look a little like wade Gillingham so keep training and well see how far you can go ps how big are your hands around 9

As I have said before the Original is a "bear" and even Tex and during Chads Grip gauntlet try were both stopped by a upright pinch ( amazingly, they both have made it lying on face) If anyone wants to be truly king of "The Blob".............it sits right here with all the "bragging rights" attached!RS

But I have a question. In the quote above, you said that Tex and Chad picked it up by the face but could not pick it up in the normal way. I've curled a blob by the face ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7MJW6ExDY ) and I was under the impression that this is, generally speaking, a MUCH harder thing to do than a normal "upright" lift. So is the O-Blob special in that the by-the-face lift is actually easier, generally speaking, than an upright lift? If so, then the shape of it must be very different than what I have in mind. Would you happen to have a picture on file?

Thanks,

Rex

nice strong lifts rex your hand looks to be as big as jedds and in all this grip stuff thats a plus you could probably give the inch a ride and also try 3 25lb plates Richard Sorin will probibly tell you but the blob he has is rounder on the sides and harder to grasp i have an older one but the size of your hands you will probibly lift it for sure you also look a little like wade Gillingham so keep training and well see how far you can go ps how big are your hands around 9

Thinking about it the Blob when lifted in ANY way is not so much an issue of weight but one of shape and relative handsize. My hands are 7 7/8 and barely can grasp the blob by the face . Larger handed guys seem to always fare better in the face lift.( no complaints or regrets intended) I can snatch or strict curl a 45 blob by the face because I think I can get at least my fingers a bit better over the edge. The O Blob is very fat, real bowed out end and weighs 52.5 so the longer finger guys both Chad and tex that both lifted it by the face still had to contend with its "wicked" contour. The O blob has never been easy for me EVER . but, some other "legit" York Blobs of later manufacture were easy for Tex, House, Me etc. I mentioned to Tex last night there was "a guy" that is coming that will do the O Blob plus 20lb......................I thought Tex would cough up a hairball! He had the look of utter amazement on his ever smiling face. I would love to see someone do something with it! Has anyone out there done The O Blob with sub 8" hands other than Tommy Heslep and myself just trying to recall. RS

Thanks,

Rex

Thanks man for the encouragement. Wade Gillingham is about 30 pounds stouter than I am, so I take that as a compliment!

here's a measurement from uppermost (closest to fingers) crease:

http://thesinnersaremuchmorefun.blogspot.com/

Edited by The Natural

Thinking about it the Blob when lifted in ANY way is not so much an issue of weight but one of shape and relative handsize. My hands are 7 7/8 and barely can grasp the blob by the face .

That's crazy! I also have 7 7/8 inch hands but I can only lift the 40# blob by the face (having problems with my left hand) due to hand size (righty I've done this with additional weight). You must have a comparable big hand span! On the 50# blob I can lay my hand completely on the face - nearly half an Inch away from reaching the edge!

I would love to see someone do something with it! Has anyone out there done The O Blob with sub 8" hands other than Tommy Heslep and myself just trying to recall. RS

Some day I'll come and deadlift the O Blob. I own two of the old shaped ones and Chad Woodall told me that they are as difficult as the O Blob. In a contest while a loading event he was not able to lift it the normal way but by the face. It's for sure not comparable to a blob lift which You do fresh - Chads strength is out of question!

Edited by Burkhard Macht

Rex, Great pictures of your hand! I make the length a bit over 8.5 and span about 9 3/8". I think you have the "tools" for success.I am sure there are other fat blobs out there that you can try too to get a better idea. Also , lets make arrangements to get this thing going! Our SUMMER get together is the end of the third week of June and perhaps you can be part of the "Grip Wrecking Crew" present at the event. As an aside Tex and Chad had 8 3/4 to-9" hands and about a 10" span. Strangely, if I really open my hand out (spread) even though the length is under 8" ( 7 7/8") the span is right at 9 3/4 ".( today as measured with steel ruler)RS

... the span is right at 9 3/4 ".( today as measured with steel ruler)RS

I assume that is the span from thumb to fingertip of the middlefinger?! That explains why You can lift the blob by the face! My span from thumb to tip of middlefinger is 8,5 inch...

pic

No, I think you have misread. My length (tip of middle finger to wrist crease is( 7 7/8")............................my SPAN from thumb tip to pinky tip is 9 3/4" I just barely get my fingers over the edge of the O Blob. RS

No, I think you have misread. My length (tip of middle finger to wrist crease is( 7 7/8")............................my SPAN from thumb tip to pinky tip is 9 3/4" I just barely get my fingers over the edge of the O Blob. RS

Ah, ok! So we have the same hand length at 7 7/8 inch - my hand span from thumb tip to pinky tip is 8 6/8 inch.

Rex, Great pictures of your hand! I make the length a bit over 8.5 and span about 9 3/8". I think you have the "tools" for success.I am sure there are other fat blobs out there that you can try too to get a better idea. Also , lets make arrangements to get this thing going! Our SUMMER get together is the end of the third week of June and perhaps you can be part of the "Grip Wrecking Crew" present at the event. As an aside Tex and Chad had 8 3/4 to-9" hands and about a 10" span. Strangely, if I really open my hand out (spread) even though the length is under 8" ( 7 7/8") the span is right at 9 3/4 ".( today as measured with steel ruler)RS

RS,

Your length to span ratio is very interesting to me--your span is approximately the same as mine! I just measured my span, using your definition of it. 10" exactly (the piece of paper in the picture is the standard 11" x 8.5" printer size). You were exactly right on length: 8 9/16 ". I could tell from some YouTube videos that Tex has enormous hands. Aaron told me that Chad has slightly bigger hands than I do, and your experience confirms that. I guess I'll need to work a little longer than them when it comes to Inch feats (though Aaron is making fast progress with the Inch with hands just under 8"; it can be done).

I'd love to be a part of your event, schedule permitting. Please give me the details in a PM.

Thanks man,

Rex

That's interesting about the hand spans. My hand is barely over 7" long, but the span is 8 3/4"