Inch Dumbbell Deadlift

Paul Savage

thanks again guys

laine - awesome work! cant wait to see the vid

most of the inch lifts ive seen have had tilt in them so i just thought the ruling for the list here meant that you cant do it verticle or something, but guess not - personally the way i look at it is simply the way thomas inch held the challenge >the idea behind the dumbbell is that it is 'unliftable' so if you grab it with one hand an pick it up, you have lifted it & beat the dumbbell

There is no such ruling. See my comment before. What was agreed upon was that if one was comparing lifts a non tilted bell beats a tilted one because it is harder to do. Those that made up the 'that's not how it should be done' have no idea what they were talking about (I quoted for example the one hand deadlift rules which allow a tilt - they had nothing). Inch is often quoted as saying 'lifting of the bell with one hand' but very little else. Ignore anyone who claims to know better - yours was as good as any.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Paul Savage

• LAINE SNOOK

Top Posters In This Topic

I quoted for example the one hand deadlift rules which allow a tilt

I didn't want to be the one to bring it up, but I wondered why the inch would be treated differently from a one-hand DL where lockout is what counts. Great lift Paul!

the idea behind the dumbbell is that it is 'unliftable' so if you grab it with one hand an pick it up, you have lifted it & beat the dumbbell

Thats how I see it. Great job Paul.

Paul,

Great easy lift of the Inch!!! :rock

personally the way i look at it is simply the way thomas inch held the challenge >the idea behind the dumbbell is that it is 'unliftable' so if you grab it with one hand an pick it up, you have lifted it & beat the dumbbell
That's pretty much my goal with it, anything more is gravy.

I quoted for example the one hand deadlift rules which allow a tilt

I didn't want to be the one to bring it up, but I wondered why the inch would be treated differently from a one-hand DL where lockout is what counts. Great lift Paul!

You'd be factually incorrect. The one hand deadlift, as per what would be done with a straddle, allows for both ends to go above the knee. It does not require locking out (because your balls would be in the way for a start)! :blink

You'd be factually incorrect. The one hand deadlift, as per what would be done with a straddle, allows for both ends to go above the knee. It does not require locking out (because your balls would be in the way for a start)! :blink

Interesting. I practice both conventional and straddle one handed deadlifts and lock out on both. Perhaps it's because my arms are longish in relation to my legs, but I'd have to seriously roll back the shoulder or crook the arm to get high enough to damage anything important :D (yes, I did experiment just now with a 70 lb dumbbell) :D :D

cheers guys

i have done it a bunch of times with the dumbbell completely straight, but i just wanted to make sure i got it on video to get on the list - jedd has deemed this a no lift because of tilt so that was bad idea >i didnt realise all the others on the list had done this with no tilt, ive only ever seen that done by a couple people

You've only seen a couple people lift the inch level?

I just want to point out that Paul's lift was very nice. I originally added it to the list in fact. However, after Bob Sundin asked me to review it, I have to take it off because the lift is rather titled. I did not pay close enough attention the first time I viewed it and the sideways video was very distracting so i did not notice the tilt at lockout - I had originally thought he evened it out after the first foot off the ground. After seeing the tilt on the second view, I decided I better pull it and I PM'd Paul.

It must be without excessive tilt for the list here on the gripboard. It is WAY easier to lift the inch dumbbell when it was tilted and that is what I go by. Even though you must be very strong to lift the Inch to lockout even with a tilt, as Paul obviously is, I am still looking for a relatively flat dumbbell at the end of the lift.

Laine, your lift of the millenium was incredible, 1. because it is the millenium db and 2. because you lifted it suitcase style. Heck with the tilt. I don't think I have ever seen a lift of the millenium without a tilt except maybe Joel Sward. However, he did this by lifting only the millenium so he was able to judge the balance much better because it was directly in front of him. I think I am misspelling millenium so i am sorry.

-Jedd-

I just want to point out that Paul's lift was very nice. I originally added it to the list in fact. However, after Bob Sundin asked me to review it, I have to take it off because the lift is rather titled. I did not pay close enough attention the first time I viewed it and the sideways video was very distracting so i did not notice the tilt at lockout - I had originally thought he evened it out after the first foot off the ground. After seeing the tilt on the second view, I decided I better pull it and I PM'd Paul.

It must be without excessive tilt for the list here on the gripboard. It is WAY easier to lift the inch dumbbell when it was tilted and that is what I go by. Even though you must be very strong to lift the Inch to lockout even with a tilt, as Paul obviously is, I am still looking for a relatively flat dumbbell at the end of the lift.

Laine, your lift of the millenium was incredible, 1. because it is the millenium db and 2. because you lifted it suitcase style. Heck with the tilt. I don't think I have ever seen a lift of the millenium without a tilt except maybe Joel Sward. However, he did this by lifting only the millenium so he was able to judge the balance much better because it was directly in front of him. I think I am misspelling millenium so i am sorry.

-Jedd-

I agree with everything in Jedd's post.

Paul has all the potential in the world and should be one of the elite grip contestants for decades if he maintains his focus. The lift clearly did not meet GB criteria:

2. The bell must remain horizontal without significant tilt.

There has clearly been a pattern of obscured and questionable videos from Paul. I even tried talking to him about it in a kind way in his old training log

This is the second feat he's had removed from the list:(remember the 2x45 rubber plate fiasco?)

There have been multiple threads locked due to unfounded claims, like the phantom #4 "close", followed by professions of innocence and/or extreme naivete.

Finally, look at this video. I didn't notice any possible deception (wasn't looking for it), until I saw the reply underneath. The plate looks rather small for a 45 once the actual movement begins and what would be the possible motivation to videotape from that obscured angle? Please educate me and "say it ain't so".

Edited by odin

Bob makes good points here. These videos are quite telling. I forgot all about the rubber plates video. And had no idea viper and Paul Savage were the same guy. This wrist curl one looks very fishy.

Giving credit for a lift is hard enough, let alone when there is a string of evidence against somebody. Please tell us you are acting in the good spirit of strength here and not trying to fool people.

Finally, look at this video. I didn't notice any possible deception (wasn't looking for it), until I saw the reply underneath. The plate looks rather small for a 45 once the actual movement begins and what would be the possible motivation to videotape from that obscured angle? Please educate me and "say it ain't so".

I think the key there is the description on the side. It says "two hand plate wrist curls".

He is using both hands, not just one.

If you look close at times near his knuckles or near the palm side of his hand you can see the other hand in the background.

The plate might have been switched as well, or it could be the same plate, but we never see the face of the plate at the start or end of the set.

I think the key there is the description on the side. It says "two hand plate wrist curls".

He is using both hands, not just one.

If you look close at times near his knuckles or near the palm side of his hand you can see the other hand in the background.

The plate might have been switched as well, or it could be the same plate, but we never see the face of the plate at the start or end of the set.

"Two-handed" was never part of what I perceived to be deceptive. I knew the intention was to show a two-handed plate wrist curl for 20 reps, which is a remarkable feat of strength.

Good points raised here Bob and yes, i also agree this lift does not comply with gripboard standards, but as a friend of Paul's and having trained with him in person i maintain that he is as strong as he suggests in his threads / his vids

suggest. I don't think any of lifts are fraudulent.

The #4 in that video was not closed. There is no disputing this. That being said, given Paul's strength when i last trained with him 8 months ago i wouldn't be surprised if he could indeed close an easier #4.

I think the rubber 2 45s was done when he wasn't aware what plates have to be used for this lift.

The wrist curl vid is unrelated to the question at hands of whether or not the inch lift was 'good enough' and whether or not Paul is posting honest vids. No one really cares about plate wrist curls as there are no standards set here for this lift, very few threads on what is 'good' etc...

Good points raised here Bob and yes, i also agree this lift does not comply with gripboard standards, but as a friend of Paul's and having trained with him in person i maintain that he is as strong as he suggests in his threads / his vids

suggest. I don't think any of lifts are fraudulent.

The #4 in that video was not closed. There is no disputing this. That being said, given Paul's strength when i last trained with him 8 months ago i wouldn't be surprised if he could indeed close an easier #4.

I think the rubber 2 45s was done when he wasn't aware what plates have to be used for this lift.

The wrist curl vid is unrelated to the question at hands of whether or not the inch lift was 'good enough' and whether or not Paul is posting honest vids. No one really cares about plate wrist curls as there are no standards set here for this lift, very few threads on what is 'good' etc...

Paul is obviously extremely strong; I will not be surprised when he lifts the Inch or closes the #4. The plate wrist curl is notable only in that it fits the apparent pattern of deception (it appears the plate was switched while in his lap-why else would he show it from such a bizarre angle?). As great as Paul is, he seems to want to appear to be right now at the level he will be at in a few months.

I don't see Paul as a fraud. He PROVED himself MANY times. When he went to Steve and Sam. When he won his first comp like it was a warmup to him. I don't think it's hard to believe anyone can do a 20KG plate wrist curl times 20. Is it that hard? No I don't think so. Also, all the videos Paul have are not good (except this last Inch list). So it is no big deal for this wrist curl (because the only thing he's not good at are his video taking ability...and that will also improve). Plus this wrist curl (like what Sam said) has NOTHING to do with the Inch. So please let's not mix topics here. Paul will meet Twig soon and he will lift the Inch parallel to the gound with video. I am sure of it.

Perhaps I missed something. Has Paul, in either of his persona's, asked to be included on any GB lists? Or claimed his lifts were of a GB standard? Or even that he accepts a standard set by the GB?

I do agree his videos are bloody awful but that's another matter. :whacked

Perhaps I missed something. Has Paul, in either of his persona's, asked to be included on any GB lists? Or claimed his lifts were of a GB standard? Or even that he accepts a standard set by the GB?

I do agree his videos are bloody awful but that's another matter. :whacked

If I've understood correctly, Jedd doesn't add any feat on any list unless you PM him about it.

If that's the case and Jedd posted then I'm guessing Paul asked him to include them. In which case I both stand corrected and Paul needs to up his game to the standard required. :blush

id rather eat my own jacobs than switch a plate but you are free to think whatever you like dude, thats cool

i did ask jedd if this was ok for the list, i didnt ask if the 2 20kg pinch was ok for that list - im not overly bothered about being on a list personally, it's actually doing the feat that matters most to me

there is nothing that suggest im a fraud, thats impossible, because im not - for example you didnt actually see me switch the plate, in reality you made that up in you're head, same with everything else

i will not be lifting the inch straight up at twigs, to me lifting the inch is lifting the inch, an ive done that many times, straight an tilted, my aim now is to lift it for 3 reps or more

When I closed the #2 on video (long time ago) Jedd contacted me. I didn't even know there was a list.

You can do it Paul :rock

Edited by Alawadhi