Braced Bend Record

David Horne

Ever give that 7/8 a tug David? Sorry but looking at the one (unbent) in my collection for so long, I'm really anxious to see somebody bend it. To my knowledge, it's never been done.

Tim

Tim

What are the criteria for this bend i dont mean for a list cause i aint interested in them i mean for it to be recognised as a genuine feat EG:- wraps used wether ita a pull or push start etc.

I take it ita HRS i would also be interested in what you think are the top HRS and CRS bends in long and medium bar bending again what criteria was used/can be used as you are pretty much the best when it comes to knowledge on these type of bends plus youve also done alot of them as well.

Not being big headed but i figure i can take a shot at some of them if the start is the pull/row method.

Also can the bend be finished off useing say over the head'kneck or back etc i know you cant use your feet but is it anything else goes.

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bracedbending.html

That should answer most of your questions I think Gazza. There are probably some guys like Big Steve that have done some crazy stuff too but those are the certified ones so far.

I have cracked the scale on a 7/8" rowing it. I am questioning wether I should continue rowing big stuff though. I have heard of a few people hurting their back pretty bad this way and I am thinking it may be better to try and work towards it pushing down over the thigh.

What is the biggest stuff you have gotten with this method David? I have never tried to max on it with longer bars. I don't mean to derail your thread with that particular debate though I will start another thread for that soon I think.

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Gazza, this type of bending was my first love and what got me into it although I kinda dropped it. Really it's expensive. This article is one of the first I ever saw:

Bill Kazmaier bending steel

I first saw Kaz bending a bar on TV and he had his foot propped up in a chair or something and pulled it around his knee then put one end on his thigh and pulled down on the other end.

Basically as long as the ground doesn't give leverage I think you can kneel, set, stand on your head whatever. Per David you can't use your foot too but anything else goes. What I call WSM style is where you keep one hand on each end of the bar and bend around head or neck. Pretty sure you can wrap yourself around the bar like a contortionist if you want, as long as the ground or your feet aren't involved.

From what I gather the 3/4 inch by 4 foot is the big boy and anything above that becomes pretty elite. Of course your 20mm would be noticably tougher if the metal is similiar which I assume it is.

To my knowlege only one person has done 3/4 by 4 foot square and that's Big Steve McGranahan. 7/8 has never been done that I know of. Most impressive round bar would have to be David's 20mm bend that is #1 on his list. Best record for 5/8 inch round would be 26 inches that has been done both by David and Steve. Steve does it on his 2nd DVD and it looks pretty solid. Those 2 would make a good bend-off.

My record for 3/4 is 44 inches and man did it hurt. I had welps and bruises like you wouldn't believe. I can't immagine the top bends. I did get 40 inches to probably 40 degrees or so but I just couldn't get it going now.

Oh yeah, CRS is almost non-existant in long bar. At the longer lengths the springiness translates into a crazy ammount (distance-wise) of spring travel and is quite dangerous but I know that doens't deter you. Plus, if a audience is watching, all they see is size so you're better off to bend the thickest bar.

Tim, at the 4 foot lengths I can never get much leverage on the pushing down method. And I've never really seen too many people that have had much luck with it that way. I can bend better stuff over my head at that length.

Oh yeah, best bar bent WSM style has been 11/16 by 4.5 feet but that size isn't made any longer. Kaz did bend a world record bar at a wrestling match back in the late 80s and it was 3/4 but I don't know the method he used. I've done 9/16 by 4 foot that way but couldn't quite finish a 5/8 bar that way. It works muscles that you evidently don't use every day. Tearing pec muscles were pretty common in that event.

Go for it guys! Mats needs to tackle this too. Whoever gets 3/4 square or especially 7/8 first is going to accomplish something. A note from personal experience. 3/4 square is not only hard because of the strength of the bar, but it's terribly painful to grab ahold of. At least to my hands.

Oh yeah, Mike Dayton did put a partial bend in a one inch bar (yikes!) but by his own admittion, it was a slight bend. Still, very impressive though.

Can't wait to see the results. Makes me want long break out my long bar ISO bar again.

Tim

I second you on the square. It is very awkward. I was going to use it as a progression to the 7/8" but then just went to the 7/8". I bet once you can bend that square you can get a 7/8" bar. I wish Big Steve was still around to tell us about his experience with this stuff.

Tim,

I do like that about HRS how it gives you it's early warning with that scale. I cracked the scale on my 3/4 square on my best day but it was slight and didn't go any further.

I know I won't be the first.

Tim