What Is The Toughest Gripper Ever Closed, And Who Closed It?

AdamTGlass

Some of the #4 closer from BBB1 missed the MM3 on their first try (Maybe even all missed it first try). So It's safe to say the MM3 is harder than that "Easy #4"

We really don't know how hard Viper's HG500 is so that's up in the air.

Repping a gripper doesn't count as strongest closed either. :tongue Zach

I'm still going to have to go with Dave Morton and the MM6.

Pshht, I know that :tongue I just posted the reppages with names so hopefully someone who knows them can remember any closes they didn't get around to posting on the board :happy

The thing about the 500, though, is the thickness of the handles. Even if Paul's HG500 is a mere 3.7-3.8, those handles up the percieved difficulty A LOT despite Paul's large hands. It rates high, top 10 for sure.

I know, but given he hasn't closed a #4 it still doesn't count in my opinion.

this is not true - if you're going to state something about me as fact on a public forum, i would appreciate it if you would talk to me about it before hand >cheers bro

Sorry Paul, but the only video of you I ever saw of a #4 was about 3/8" away, I was stating what I knew. Have you closed a #4? If so I really want to see a video dude!!!

im not getting started on this again so please dont argue back about it - i would just appreciate it if you could not state that kind of thing like it's fact, to downgrade my HG500 close - i worked VERY hard to get it done >thanks

I was simply saying you haven't closed a #4 TO MY KNOWLEDGE, so it doesn't rank higher then Dave, the Holles, Magnus, etc. It's still among the best closes ever done, just not THE best in MY OPINION.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• vikingsrule92

• ewokhugo

• pdfk20

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone with any credibility witnessed your closes and tested your grippers?
Am I credible? Savage's hand strength is strong enough that I loaned him my Inch to train with, and if you look HERE you'll see he dominated my first grip competition.

Now, back to the discussion: Any advance on the 500? Or is the MM6 harder than a (let's assume it's an average) HG500?

dominating a grip competition and having the hardest gripper close known to man are two different things. Ok, so he closed a cc-width, clamped #3...that doesn't translate to an hg500 to me.

what's your point?

dominating a grip competition and having the hardest gripper close known to man are two different things. Ok, so he closed a cc-width, clamped #3...that doesn't translate to an hg500 to me.

Agreed.

The problem is, I don't think enough people have been interested enough in the HG500 to train for it. I think Steve gardener would close one if he made it his main training goal. All the official #4 closers would have been able to close one around the time they certed on the #4 IF they trained for it.

Thick handled grippers are a different thing all together i wasn't necessarily at my strongest on nomal grippers when i was doing well with the 400 and 500, for example.

Edited by CoC#3

Agreed.

The problem is, I don't think enough people have been interested enough in the HG500 to train for it. I think Steve gardener would close one if he made it his main training goal. All the official #4 closers would have been able to close one around the time they certed on the #4 IF they trained for it.

Aaron got mine to about 1/8" AFTER a 7 hour grip competition he won, and he's yet to close a #4, this shows the variance of these. Not taking anything away from Aaron of course, just proving my point.

Agreed.

Thick handled grippers are a different thing all together i wasn't necessarily at my strongest on nomal grippers when i was doing well with the 400 and 500, for example.

I concur.

interesting post ...

twin gave some credibility to Paul Savage ...

i took a look at the threat about the manchester competition ... paul closed a #3 (no set), good but not top world(not sure about the rating on these, should be an average #3?(3.0)?

Dont doubt your words Paul but will be nice to watch u closing a #4 or HG 500 using a video with GOOD quality!

After u made the close everybody will respect u! The video "Savy's" took dont have a good quality:-)(horrible in fact - the quality).

Agreed.

Aaron got mine to about 1/8" AFTER a 7 hour grip competition he won, and he's yet to close a #4, this shows the variance of these. Not taking anything away from Aaron of course, just proving my point.

They vary alright; When I did the MM1 cert I tried Brett Kerby's and literally couldn't even set it.

this thread is of the only recent time i did grippers full on infront of a gripboard witness - http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=paul+wood

im sure my HG500 is a ways easier than most HG500's, it has stayed the same difficulty for a while now but the HG400 and HG500 get easier through use like other hg grippers, spreads get smaller etc an it's had a lot of use - i cant imagine it could be any easier than the often chest crushed 500 that was sent to you though sam, maybe similar, im not sure, i only have two of them

twig - i thought mm6 was harder than a #4, but i read mm6 came in at 3.8 something in dave mortons old log >ill bring the HG500 i have closed, and my other (used it once i think) HG500 with me next week so you can check em out

i took a look at the threat about the manchester competition ... paul closed a #3 (no set), good but not top world(not sure about the rating on these, should be an average #3?(3.0)?
CAVEAT: Paul didn't set the gripper, but it had been hose clamped to CCS, the rateing on that gripper, by Clay, Sybersnott, Sam, Pete, and others is that it is a good heavy #3, well above average.

Wasn't there a video on Youtube before of someone closing the HG 500 after they heated the springs? I think that the only solution to proving credibility is either by certing on the #4, HG 500, or MM6 and beyond. Another way would be to bring your own HG 500 and close it at the grip competition or gathering. This way others will be able to see and test the gripper in question. I understand why many members are skeptical of Paul's HG 500 close due to the fact that HGs vary so much and that only few people train with HG 500 as opposed to #3 and #4.

Twig: "CAVEAT: Paul didn't set the gripper, but it had been hose clamped to CCS, the rateing on that gripper, by Clay, Sybersnott, Sam, Pete, and others is that it is a good heavy #3, well above average"

Thanks for the correction:-)

by the way .. what's the rating of an average HG 500(brand new)? seems to be a little harder than COC#4

according to gripboard rating list ...

hg's season a little bit ... COC's doesnt season that much... paul's its probably right even if his HG its not new ... one thing should be taking in consideration: there are some guys stronger than 3.8 gripper (according to your statement : mm6=3.8) ii wont name any gripboard members ... Magnus Samuelsson its one of them : he would eat a brand new HG 500 for reps:) If some guys become angry with this threat i bet someone will close a bigger grip soon ...

Edited by ewokhugo

I have an HG500 and it will be at my contest. The best gripper guys at my contest (Josh & Ben) can tell you guys how rediculously hard it is after we get done, if this thread is still open.

I tried a HG500 out of the package after the contest here last month. It wasnt too bad. Felt easier than a #4 to me. At that point I had already been going for many hours and still was able to hold it at 1/8 or so for a neg. Derek and his Dad Wes were witnesses. I doubt I would have had that much left if I had tried any of my #4s that day.

- Aaron

The one I tried had over a 3" spread and when you combine that with the thick handles...good luck

I think Wes, Derek's dad got it as one of the prizes at the comp. I'll ask them to bring it to the next get together and see what I can do. your right thought those big handles suck.

- Aaron

Aaron: best of luck , u can do it!:-)

i believe after 100 chest crush with it, it will become sligtly lighter:-)(i am talking about Derek's brand new hg 500).

Aaron its my oppinion the real deal .. a true warrior .. he liked the challenge ...

Edited by ewokhugo

Aaron, I was already thinking I should bring it next griptogether so we can see how you do fresh ;)

The one I tried had over a 3" spread and when you combine that with the thick handles...good luck

Josh, my HG500 did have 3 1/8in spread when you tried it, but now after hundreds of chest crushes it is just a tad over 3in. It is still crazy hard, and is in no danger of me ever crushing it.....Brett

Yes I trained with Paul Savage a couple of months back, on that occasion he was a couple of mm off the HG500 I think, also did easy double TNS with #3's and HG400s amongst other things.

With the #3 close in the Manchester competition, that was simply what was needed to win, not a max effort - grippers were passed round 'last man standing' style.

Since nobody knows how their grippers stack up against others unless they are calibrated, these discussions will always tend to generate more heat than light. With the HG500, the poundage alone would not necessarily indicate which is 'hardest' vs a #4 for example, as the thick handles make it a different feat.

Aaron: best of luck , u can do it!:-)

i believe after 100 chest crush with it, it will become sligtly lighter:-)(i am talking about Derek's brand new hg 500).

Aaron its my oppinion the real deal .. a true warrior .. he liked the challenge ...

Not chest crushing as well... sad, sad, sad.

Only reliable way to compare people accurately is the MM-ladder, so to date MM6 gets my vote of beeing the toughest gripper ever closed. MM-ladder is nice competition and certainly a motivational factor.

RGC calibration is better than subjective feel-based measure, but it doesn't reflect the difficulty of the gripper throughout the range, excludes the effect of the spread etc.

You really should not even consider talking about narrow Pro's in this context, as the narrow spread makes for a lot easier set and although I have closed my narrow Pro calibrated at 3,86 and came 2 mm away from closing a harder one that is 4,03, I haven't yet closed my regular spread BBSE that is 3,80 (allthough I'm very close now). That's how much the spread makes a difference. As all grippers these narrow Pro's vary a great deal too so I don't have any idea how my closes stack up against anyone elses narrow Pro closes. Besides it doesn't matter to me anyway as I just try to beat my previous best in training and there the calibration data gives me some kind of feedback of how I'm doing. It's all different in the competition of course.

Also the variation between all #4's out there leads me to think that we don't know what is the hardest #4 closed to date. But I think along the lines of Josh. IMO 190 lbs #4 is already a pretty decent #4 and anything over 200 lbs (on the RGC) with a regular spread is a great gripper feat. As for the GR8-springs there's nothing special about them, they vary as well to both directions and you can find relatively "easy" untampered #4's as well as real monsters.

So the point I wanted to make is that to accurately compare you need to have people close the exact same grippers with the same rules.

Edited by Teemu I

Not sure but i believe mm6 should be higher in terms of rating than 3.8 ...

if mm4 = 345 lbs and an average #4=4.0 i think mm6 its probably + 4.0 ...

Edited by ewokhugo

Mobsterone: thanks for your oppinion !:-) cheers.

Edited by ewokhugo

Not sure but i believe mm6 should be higher in terms of rating than 3.8 ...

if mm4 = 345 lbs and an average #4=4.0 i think mm6 its probably + 4.0 ...

That's the problem with the 3-point-whatever rating; you have to agree on a baseline. Using the RGC number is the way to go in my opinion. For example, if the MM6 turned out to be 202 we know exactly how it compares to the 190# #4 or a 220 #4 vs. a decimal rating based off of who knows what base. As Teemu mentioned spread plays a huge role but for now I think it's the best we have.

Yep with a 3.something rating it all depends on which #3 and which #4 you are comparing it to. So my version of what is a 3.6 or a 3.8 could well be different to Josh' rating for example, because no doubt our #3s and #4s are slightly different in strength. When i use this to rate grippers these days i try to base it on the average #3 out of all the 16 i have closed - this side should be fairly accurate - and the average #4 out of the 6 i have felt (none of which i have fully closed so this wouldn't be quite as accurate as i don't know how tough they are right at the close).