Making A Trip To Fastenal

TravisRush

Travis, unless you are absolutely destroying 1/4" CRS get more, and even if you are it is so cheap and is useful for warmups. Get some 1/4" hex for sure as, once again, it is cheap at FNL. When you kill the hex, try some of the 1045 1/4" CRS Ben reco'd.

I think you can do quite well and without messing with bolts and take good advantage of FNL just down the street from you.

I would go to several hardware stores and buy a bunch of different grade 2 (1/4 inch by 6 inch) hex bolts. Batchs and brands vary considerably. Personally, my HKT's were the easiest of all the HKT, BL, 307A, and SBY's that I found. Some of my BL's are as hard as the 60D's I have. On sale, you can find 10 pound boxes of these for around $10. I found these sales at L&M Fleet stores in Minnesota and Wisconson. All of the 1/4 square that I have is way harder than the 60D's I have. If you are buying bolts individually, instead of by the pound, you are probably getting the shaft. Some of the major hardware store chains that I stop at are selling 5/16 by 6 inch grade 2 bolts for almost $1 A PIECE!!! Shop around and save lots of money. Good luck with the 60D!

You could order some 9/32" O-1 drill rod from fastenal (has to be special order). Don't quite remember if it was harder or easier than my hard 60d's--your mileage may vary!

Thanks,

Justin

The 9/32" I tried was a little easier then a G8 inch for inch so I don't think that's be a good idea to order. Not sure if Aaron's was O1 or W1, but if it was W1 that just means this would be harder.

The 9/32" O-1 at 7' was a tad easyier than the 1/4"x7" FBBC Sq.

Maybe I got some easy drill rod that time, because the 9/32" I got wasn't near as hard as the 1/4" square...but I haven't bent that size in a while, though. Never mind my suggestion, then!

Thanks,

Justin

OK you guys, enough egghead steel rating :D Travis is working on the 60d and all of this could be a litte confusing. Stick to the basics: 1/4" HRS, 1/4" CRS, then you have the 60d. O-1 drillrod, even 1/4", is harder than a 60d in my opinion, so all the discussion about O-1 and W-1 9/32" is probably not going to help.