Gumpster's Gripping

gumpster

Impressive work with the grippers! Your #3 will fall very soon Im sure :rock

Thanks! If things keep going they way they are I may have it by mid-year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10May09

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - broke ground, 30# - 5sec

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec, 50# - R failed L 3sec, 40# - 10sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 50# - 5sec, 55# - 5sec, 60# - R 5sec L 2sec, 50# - R 10sec L 5sec, 40# - 20sec

2 7/8" DB Lift - R&L 82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

Plate Curls - R&L 20# x5

Bending - DU - 6.7mm x 5" Square HRS (PR) 52deg

Rev - FBBC 5/16" x 6" Grade 2 Bolt - failed, barely wobbled it

Rev - FBBC 1/4" x 7" Square CRS - previously kinked, moved from 35deg to 45deg

DO - 5/16" x 8" CRS - got it to about 110deg over a 2 hour period

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x3

#2 R&L - 8 parallel reps

Nothing exciting in the pinch world today. Felt ok on the chunk but kind of weak on the block, usually they feel the same. Tried some longer holds at the end on the hub/block - 40# for 20seconds was a killer! Wanted to do a little bending so I got a nice DU PR with locally purchased stock. Then I tried a 5/16" Grade 2 bolt reverse...not happening. I'm kind of at a sticking point for reverse certs so I went back to the old 7" square bar that I started months ago. It was kinked to about 35deg but I never got it to 40. Today I nudged it past that. I think I'm good for the 1/4" x 7" square cert now. Pretty happy with that since I know I'll be trying it cut down as soon as I kill the 7". Last up was some locally purchased 5/16" CRS (rare in these parts). This felt similar to FBBC stock in difficulty even though I've never been able to do more than wobble a bastard. The extra inch in length made it easier to get going but even with it at 110deg it was still too wide to interlock my fingers for any crush attempts. It went in really small movements since I hit it every 10 minutes or so. When I get this down I'll try a 7.5".

P.S. I had never seen 5/16" CRS here (in the Philippines) previously. I stopped in this hardware store that deals in scrap metal as well. I went in the back to see what they had and there was the most tempting stack of bending stock I've ever seen...about 1000 pieces of 5/16" x 8' rods. :ohmy I asked how much they were and the guy said all the scrap metal is sold by weight. One 8 foot bar cost me less than $1...amazing. I went back a couple days later and bought 5 more (I'll be needing them). Some had minor surface rust but after a little cleaning they look almost like FBBC stock. The guy said it was a surplus batch they bought and won't be getting more. I may have to grab a few more before they disappear. I also found a big round disc of steel I'm going to use for thin pinching (it's similar in size/weight to a 10# plate). I asked my local machine shop to weld a small plate with a hole on the edge so I can hook it to my loading pin.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gumpster

• ewokhugo

• Griparn

• easyWeight

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Hugo! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

13May09

Stacker Lift - R&L 25# 5sec, 30# R failed L 5sec, 27.5# 5sec

(inches between hand and head of hammer)

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds - 20" 5sec/20" 10sec/20" 10sec/18" 10sec

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds - 28" 5sec/28" 10sec/28" 10sec/26" 10sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides - 14"x1/12"x1/12"x1/10"x3

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L - 28"x1/28"x1/28" R2 L3

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 15# x3, 12.5# x5, 12.5# x5

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 40# x5, 45# R2 L4, 40# x5

Plate Curls - R&L 20#+5#+loading pin - negative x1, 20# x3, 20# x3

Plate Wrist Curls - R&L 20# x8, 20# x6, 20# x3

2 7/8" DB Lift Thumbless - R&L 82.5# 10sec, 82.5# 10sec, 82.5# 5sec, 82.5# 10sec

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x10

#2 R&L - TNS x1

Tearing - easy deck of cards in the box, halved & quartered

Bending - finished crushing down the 1/4" x 5" FBBC square that I got to almost 90deg a couple weeks back

ISOs on 5/16" x 7.5" local CRS - wobbled it to 10deg

Felt OK today. Right wrist is still acting up during rear and overhead levering but it's not as bad as the past few wrist workouts. Tried a little something new with cards - left them in the box and tore the whole thing. A little harder than not in the box (quartering in particular). I'll try to post a vid later. Went to work on the 5" square that I got to nearly 90deg some days ago. Took me about half an hour of hit-rest-hit every 5 minutes or so to get it down. I doubt the next one will go down in 5min but maybe in the same session. Did some ISOs on a 7.5" piece of locally purchased 5/16" CRS (I got the 8" down to about 110deg then it froze on me a few days back) - barely wobbled it to 10deg. Might have better luck when I'm fresh.

What did you think about that 5" square Perry? When I bent mine, it took me nearly 10 minutes to finish! IMO the crush on that stuff was harder than the Huge Shiny. Great work there!

Edited by easyWeight

What did you think about that 5" square Perry? When I bent mine, it took me nearly 10 minutes to finish! IMO the crush on that stuff was harder than the Huge Shiny. Great work there!

I could get it kinked without too much trouble but getting it through 70-100deg and the final crush down were brutal. 5" stock in general is tough for me...the Grade 5 kicked my butt several times. Hopefully my crush will be good and ready when the day to kill a shiny comes along. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

17May09

Bending - DU - 60d

Reverse - 60d

DO - 7.65mm x 7" (IM wraps)

Reverse - FBBC 1/4" x 7" Square CRS (PR/cert)

DU - 7.65mm x 5.5" - DU (PR with this stock)

DO - 7mm x 5" Square HRS (1st attempt at this length - took 30 min)

DO - FBBC 1/4" x 7" Square CRS - (was kinked to just past 40deg from many previous reverse attempts...just finished it off)

DO - 1/4" x 4" SS bolt

SCF Ultra Lite #2 - first ever horseshoe

Good day overall! Did a couple 60d warm-ups for DU/Reverse and a piece of local stock (in IM wraps) then I got to the hard stuff. I knew I was close to getting the 1/4" square reverse style so I went for it today and got it - huge PR for me and about 7 months in the making. I moved it a bit on the first hit then switched hands and did nothing, so I went back to the original setup and was able to move it some more. Got it to about 52deg. I'll have to go for a 6.5" soon and I imagine a 7" will be in my sights DU before too long. I didn't want to risk another piece of 5" square on what would surely be a failed cert attempt so I used a piece of locally purchased stock (7mm HRS) which seems to be really close in difficulty. It did the job and stumped me on the crush down for about half an hour...getting from 2.5" to 2" was really tough. I think when I can kill one of those I'll be ready for the cert on the 1/4" stuff. My last unbraced bend was a tiny 1/4" x 4" stainless bolt I found in a hardware store. I thought it looked like a "fun" bolt to bend. It surprised me - really tough the whole way through but I got it under 5min (it's no Grade 5 though).

Today I opened the bender's bag for a new treat - a horseshoe. Two were included in my order so I grabbed the one I thought would be easier. I had to do a little research to figure out just which shoe this is since I'm a horseshoe newbie. I remembered a few things I'd read about wrapping so that the wraps don't loosen as you're applying force. Other than that I was just winging it and you can tell by the video I really had no clue what I was doing (had my hands backwards at the start, then realized my mistake). My lack of body mass and core strength didn't help much but I was able to get it flattened out after a few minutes. I even made a feeble attempt between the legs to go for a heart...not ready for that. It was fun in a twisted sort of way but the tops of my thighs/hips are feeling it now - hurts to just get up out of a chair. I imagine I'll have some new sore spots tomorrow but hopefully no bruises or I'll have fun explaining those. I can't see myself getting hooked on the braced bending as much as the unbraced but it may be fun every once in a while. I'll get the video up later (as embarrassing as it is).

oops...forgot to add that I did some grippers as well

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x5

#2 R&L - TNS x2

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 - Parallel Reps R10 L8

#1 - Parallel Reps R50 L46 (PRs)

21May09

IM Hub - R&L 35# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 45# - 3sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 35# - 5sec, 50# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec

2-25s Pinch - good

2-35s Pinch - failed

2-50s 2HP - failed but broke ground, very wide plates

2 7/8" DB Lift - R&L 90# 5sec hold

110# 3sec hold (PR)

100# 5sec hold

90# 5sec hold

90# 5sec hold

90# 5sec hold

Plate Curls - R&L 25# negative x1, but held at parallel for 5sec, ""

Plate Wrist Curls - 25# R1 L2

DB Wrist Curls - R&L 40# x10, 45# x6

DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# x10, 15# x10

Bending - Rev - 60d

DU - 7.3mm x 6"

DO - 7.3mm x 6"

DO - 7mm x 7" Square HRS

DU - 60d

Rev - 60d

DO - 8.5mm x 6.5" HRS

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#3 - MMS - R 4mm L 1cm

#2.5 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 - Parallel Reps R10 L5

#3 - MMS - R 1/4" L 1cm

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#1 R&L - TNS x10

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#1 R&L - TNS x10

#2.5 - MMS R10sec L5sec

Card Tearing - deck halved & quartered

deck longways

deck halved & one half quartered

+some levering with a 10# plate on one end of a dumbbell bar (front/rear/side)

I found a gym and went to check it out. It's definitely a third world gym - everything looks like it was made when I was born, about a dozen different brands of plates, all the dumbbells are homemade with pipe for handles (some have mismatched plates)...you have to count up the weight since nothing is marked. They don't have any olympic plates but they do have one pair each of 25s, 35s and 50s that have a smooth side. This was my first time ever to try plate pinching. I got the 25s without much trouble (maybe a little easier than similar weight on my pinch block due to the texture). The 35s I couldn't get - they looked like they had been repainted with a glossy black paint and were wider than my block so it felt a little awkward. Maybe if I'm having a strong pinch day I might get them up. I tried the 50s two-handed and was able to break ground but the plates are really wide so that made it harder. I took some of my grip gear with me so I could get in a bit of an overall grip workout. I was curious to see where my limit was on my thick DB - got 110# up but that felt about as much as I could handle. Tore 3 decks of cards and did a little bending - just some easy stuff. The place is just one room and not well maintained. I guess I shouldn't complain for the price though (just over $0.50 to use for the day). It was incredibly hot and they don't have any fans so I was soaked head to toe by the time I got done. I may go back once or twice a month just to use the plates since I don't have enough to push myself with my thick DB. This was supposed to be my gripper day and I did do some but it wasn't focused like normal. I went nonstop just switching exercises as there was no place to sit and rest. I was kind of at a loss trying to think of other exercises to try but now I just thought I could have tried a 1HDL but finding a spot to do it could be an issue - the weight area is crowded and the open area for aerobics has ceramic tiles. Now that I found this place I need to get a RT...I think I might be able to get a BW lift and I only have 95# in plates here at home.

Perry:just to let u know u have the BEST training diary around:-)

big congrats for your last p.b ! specially 7" square (reverse) wich its AWESOME!

if i had 2 i would send u one VHG to help u to close your #3.

Geez, every time I wonder into this log, I'm blown away by the volume you put in each workout! :rock

It's good to hear you found a gym. The older and lessor maintained ones are the best. You have more freedom to do what you want without getting yelled at or kicked out! And as you pointed out, they're cheap to use!

BTW, great Reverse PR! I just bent my first 7" square Reverse today :D

Edited by easyWeight

Perry:just to let u know u have the BEST training diary around:-)

big congrats for your last p.b ! specially 7" square (reverse) wich its AWESOME!

if i had 2 i would send u one VHG to help u to close your #3.

Thanks Hugo! I don't know about it being the best, but I try to be complete about what I do.

Geez, every time I wonder into this log, I'm blown away by the volume you put in each workout! :rock

It's good to hear you found a gym. The older and lessor maintained ones are the best. You have more freedom to do what you want without getting yelled at or kicked out! And as you pointed out, they're cheap to use!

BTW, great Reverse PR! I just bent my first 7" square Reverse today :D

Thanks Darin! That last one was a bit more than I normally do (took me about a week to recover). I took my bag of grip tools to the gym figuring I'd do a little of my normal stuff and use their equipment to try a few things. I was correct in guessing some of the guys would be looking at me weird and wonder what the hell I was doing. I let anyone who wanted try the grippers, hub, pinch block, etc. Not one person closed the #1 and I couldn't get anyone to try cards or bending. I'll probably try to use the place a couple times each month.

Congrats on killing the 7" square reverse as well! :rock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

27May09

Grippers - - #1 R&L - TNS x3

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2.5 R&L - TNS attempt 2mm

#3 R&L - 40mm spread in a choker - 1/4"

#3 - MMS - R 4mm L 1/4"

#2.5 - Parallel Reps R3 L2

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 - Parallel Reps R10 L7

Bending - Rev - attempted to move a couple of 7.65mm x 5" bars that I got to about 30deg previously...no movement

DO - attempted to move a piece of 5/16" x 8" CRS that I previously got to 4 11/16"...no movement

DU - finished off a previously kinked 7.3mm x 5" (was at 15deg)

DO - 60d in IM wraps

DO - finished off a previously kinked 4.5" cut 60d (was at 90deg)

DO - finished off a previously kinked 6.7mm x 5" square HRS (was at 30deg)

DO - finished off a previously kinked 5" Grade 5 Bolt (was at 70deg)

DO - 7.65mm x 6" in IM wraps

ISOs on the 5/16" F593 bolt and a red (both stuck at around 90deg)...no movement of note

I took a long break since I beat myself up that last workout. I wanted to see how grippers were going and once I couldn't get the #2.5 TNS I knew it wasn't going to be a great day. Did some good holds on the #2.5 but felt a little weak. Then I figured I'd do some bending and try to finish off some bars that got stuck in previous sessions. Things just didn't feel good and I couldn't move some things I should be able to. Those couple of IM wrap bends hurt - the 60d was worse than the thicker bar I guess due to the odd shaped ends. Pretty crummy day so things can only get better.

30May09

(part 1 - done over 2 1/2 hours while sitting at the bus stop)

Grippers - #2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - parallel reps x5

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - parallel reps x3

#2 R&L - MMS 3-finger close (no pinky) x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS x1 with 10sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 - parallel reps R5 L4

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - MMS 15sec hold

Bending - 60d into an "S" shape

(walked home and had lunch - about 90min, then did part 2 below)

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 30# - 5sec

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec, 50# - 1sec, 45# - 2sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 60# - R 5sec L 1sec, 55# - 5sec, 55# - 5sec, 50# - 5sec, 45# - 10sec, 50# - 10sec

5/8" Thin Pinch - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - R 1sec L 5sec

5/8" Key Pinch - R&L 30# - 5sec, 30# - R 5sec L 3sec, 40# failed

5/8" Palm Pinch - R&L 40# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec

Plate Curl Negatives - R&L 20#+5#+pin x1 with 5sec hold at parallel

R&L 20#+5#+5#+pin x1 with 5sec hold at parallel

R&L 20#+5#+pin x1 with 5sec hold at parallel

2 7/8" DB Lift - R&L 82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

Bending - ISOs on the red stuck at 80deg...not 1mm of movement

Had another high volume day...it just seems like the right thing to do when you feel good. I had to wait at the bus stop waiting for the wife to shop so I took my #2, a 60d with some wraps, and rubber bands for extensor work. I did a bunch of assorted closes with the #2 and was able to make a decent looking "S" out of the 60d. I thought that might be the end of my day but when I got home and had something to eat I figured why not just get in some more since I'm already sweaty. I got in a good workout and tried out my new thin pinch device for the first time. It's a big round plate of steel about 5/8" thick and weighs about 10#. With the loading pin/clip it's around 12-13# but I'm just calling it 10# for my log to keep things simple. I got it at a local hardware store that sells scrap metal for about $5 and then had my local machine shop weld on an eye ($3) so I could hook it to my loading pin. The thin pinching is a completely different feeling and I came up with 3 variations I can do. It's pretty close to the thickness of a deck of cards so this may help my card tearing strength. I hit the stuck red a few times but didn't do any damage (probably too tired at that point).

60d in an "S"

Real Bicycle Cards vs Fakes

Thin Pinch Plate

3Jun09

Stacker Lift - R&L 25# 5sec, 30# failed, 27.5# 5sec

(inches between hand and head of hammer)

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds - 22" 5sec, 20" 5sec, 20" 5sec

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds - 28" 5sec, 28" 5sec, 28" 5sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides - 14"x1, 12"x1, 12"x1

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L - 28"x1, 28"x1, 28"x1

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 15# x3, 12.5# x5

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 40# x5, 45# x5, 50# R failed L x2

Plate Curls - R&L 20# x5, 20# x5, 20#+7.5#+loading pin - negative x1, held 5sec at horizontal

Plate Wrist Curls - R&L 20# x10, 20# x10, 20# +7.5#+loading pin - negative x1, held 5sec at horizontal

2 7/8" DB Lift Thumbless - R&L 82.5# 5sec, 82.5# 5sec, 82.5# 10sec, 82.5# 10sec, 82.5# 5sec

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x3

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 3mm L 5mm

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 2mm L 5mm

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#1 R&L - 40 parallel reps

Bending - Rev - FBBC 5/16" x 6" Grade 2 Bolt (barely wobbled a couple weeks back) got it to 25deg

DU - 60d

DO - 5/16" x 8" CRS - finally got the stuck piece finished, crushed down under 2" (was at 4 5/8" when I started today)

DO - ISOs on a 1/4" x 5" Grade 8 Bolt stuck at 70deg...no movement

Things went OK today even though I was getting sprayed by the rain as I worked out. Got a 50# wrist curl for the first time I believe with my thick DB (left only). My right wrist is still giving me problems with rear & overhead levering. I only feel pain while doing the exercises and even though I only do levering about once every two weeks it doesn't seem to be going away. I may have to give the right side a break from those and cut out DU bending for a bit. The best part of the day was getting that damn 8" piece of local 5/16" CRS finished. I've been working on that for weeks without any noticeable progress once it seemed to freeze up around 90deg. I carefully measured it between the ends before I started and then again after my first hit...I could see it moved about 1mm, then 1/16" the next hit, and so on. It still took about 20 minutes just to get it crushed down. I'll work on the 7.5" piece next (I've got it at about 10deg now). Getting some decent movement on the 5/16" Grade 2 bolt in reverse was a good feeling also. I think I'll try for the FBBC 1/4" x 6.5" square next workout.

5Jun09

#1 R&L - TNS x5

#1 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#1 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#1 R&L - TNS x5

#1 R&L - TNS x5

#1 R&L - Parallel Reps x5

#1 R&L - TNS 2 finger close (I&M) x1

#1 R&L - Parallel Reps x10

#1 R&L - Parallel Reps x20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7Jun09

Bending - Rev - 60d

DO - 5" 60d

Rev - FBBC 1/4" x 6.5" Square CRS - failed but got it to 30deg in 30sec, finished later to 45deg reverse then crushed down DO

DO - 7mm x 15cm stainless (from Hugo) - PR! killed it just under 5min

Rev - FBBC 5/16" x 6" Bolt - (previously bent to 30deg) - no movement today

ISOs on the stuck red - no movement of note

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x10

Did a little gripper work on the 5th but I was saving myself for the bending session a couple days later. I went for the 6.5" square reverse and almost got it. I think I have 2 more 7" bars that I can cut to try this again. I believe I can get it next time. Next was my fourth attempt on the 7mm x 15cm stainless from Hugo. I've been working on these beasts for several months now (first attempt was on 8 Feb and my last attempt I got it done in 34min, 20Apr). I was really happy to kill this in 5min - major PR for me. Had I tried a fresh red today I think it might have gone down. Felt good going through the kink/sweep but that crush was still a killer. I have one more bar to try later so I can see if I've improved in another month or two. Those two bends pretty much sapped my strength as I couldn't do anything to the other bars I tried after in Rev and DO. I purposely left out any DU today to see if giving my right wrist a break will help it heal.

Congrats on that SS Perry :rock :rock :rock Those are tough little buggers!

awesome bending power Perry!

the shorth ss its a killer!u should try one shiny or one of your 8 mm ss:-)

Congrats on that SS Perry :rock :rock :rock Those are tough little buggers!

Thanks Darin - yes they are! ;) I still haven't mowed one down like you did on your first try.

awesome bending power Perry!

the shorth ss its a killer!u should try one shiny or one of your 8 mm ss:-)

Thanks Hugo! I credit these bars with a lot of my gains in bending this year. I got nowhere close the first time but I kept working on that stuck bar for weeks until I got it. Now, several attempts later, I'm finally able to get it down in a normal time frame. If it weren't for you I might not have progressed as far - thanks again buddy! :D I'll do the last 7mm bar soon then I'll be moving on to the 5/16"/8mm stuff.

10Jun09

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2.5 - TNS R good L 2mm

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#3 - MMS R 3mm L 5mm

#3 - MMS R 2mm L 5mm

#3 - MMS R 2mm L 5mm

#2.5 - parallel reps R4 L3

#2 - parallel reps R14 L8 (PR right)

#3 - MMS R 3mm L 5mm

#2.5 - TNS R good L 2mm

#3 - MMS R 3mm L 1/4"

#2.5 R&L - MMS 15sec hold

#2 - parallel reps R10 L7

#1 R&L - parallel reps x51 (PR both)

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 - parallel reps R5 L3

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - TNS x1

Major gripper workout today - maybe the most I've ever done. I put some chalk on my hands right before the first #2.5 TNS attempts and did the rest of the workout without adding any. That seemed to work fine, just started to develop some raw patches on my fingers by the time I finished and didn't have any problems with handles slipping. I've found too much chalk on my hands can cause them to get torn up faster. Matched my best effort on the #3...down to 2mm, and got a couple other PRs on easier grippers for parallel reps. This was a strong gripper day for sure. I'll try to head to the gym for my next workout in a few days.

Thats a pretty heavy workout, good going with your PRs :rock How long did you train with grippers today? If i was doing this, i'd probably have spread it out over the whole day :blink

Thats a pretty heavy workout, good going with your PRs :rock How long did you train with grippers today? If i was doing this, i'd probably have spread it out over the whole day :blink

Thanks, yeah I wanted to beat myself up on grippers...I need to get that #3 shut this year (2 1/2 years now on grippers). I worked out for about 3 hours total. I did it all while waiting at a bus stop while my wife was shopping. I figured if I had to sit around there for a few hours I should do something productive. I did some extensor work with rubber bands while I rested between gripper attempts for a few minutes (and drank a 1 liter bottle of water as well). The locals all think I'm nuts but it's OK since I'm a foreigner here. A few guys came up and tried the grippers - nobody even got the #1. My hands are trashed right now but they'll feel good in a couple days. :)

Brutal-looking workout Perry! I'm looking forward to seeing you shut the #3.

I agree. That's TONS of volume on the grippers. Great work!

I agree. That's TONS of volume on the grippers. Great work!

Perry, I don't think I could replicate what you do did on the volume :blink I never do warmup sets on grippers before heavy single attempts especially on goal grippers. Any time I have messed with doing warmup squeezes, it took off some top end strength. That said, you did say that you just wanted to trash your hands. So, I do understand that. After resting up a few days. I would like to see how you would do just going straight for the #3 on your first attempt. It sounds like you are ready to smash the #3 any day. I can't wait to see you do it.

Thanks Bob, Goody & John.

John, I've always done some sort of warm-up closes on an easier gripper (except back when I only had a #2). I remember reading about someone doing cold closes on a #3 and injuring himself. I've done a couple squeezes on my #2.5 & #3 on non-grip days and sometimes I feel/hear a "pop" which gets me a little worried. I guess the chances are fairly low that I'll injure myself now that I have a couple years of conditioning. I'll wait a couple days and take a fresh attempt at the #3 without any warm-up closes. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and close it. By doing my warm-up sets I can tell if I'm having a strong day (the #2.5 TNS goes down right-handed easily) but maybe, like you said, that's taking the edge off my peak power before I get to the #3. I'll chalk up and have the camera on when I give it a shot. ;)

Thanks Bob, Goody & John.

John, I've always done some sort of warm-up closes on an easier gripper (except back when I only had a #2). I remember reading about someone doing cold closes on a #3 and injuring himself. I've done a couple squeezes on my #2.5 & #3 on non-grip days and sometimes I feel/hear a "pop" which gets me a little worried. I guess the chances are fairly low that I'll injure myself now that I have a couple years of conditioning. I'll wait a couple days and take a fresh attempt at the #3 without any warm-up closes. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and close it. By doing my warm-up sets I can tell if I'm having a strong day (the #2.5 TNS goes down right-handed easily) but maybe, like you said, that's taking the edge off my peak power before I get to the #3. I'll chalk up and have the camera on when I give it a shot. ;)

Sometimes I warmup by hitting the speedbag for 5 minutes or so. It gets the blood flowing but doesn't take away any strength that I've seen. The same thing can be done with a short run or jumprope.

Interesting what John said, i believe this way(doing warm up using a different exercice)should be the "trick" to close the #3 sooner.

same for squats, bench press or playing boxing games at the playstation ..lol

I'm with John on the no warm ups for goal gripper singles. I've also found that if I do any warm up, it really impairs my ability to close bigger grippers. The way I close my #3 and now my new custom Elite is just by picking it up randomly a few times each day or every other day. Either you're going to do it or you're not. So far, I haven't experienced any injuries from grippers. It's the steel bending that seems to be messing with my hands lately.

Hugo, I don't believe you should ever go straight to your max set on squats, bench etc. without properly warming up. You ARE asking for injury there.