Gumpster's Gripping

gumpster

Actually with all your bending i dont think TNS your #2.5 would be a prob for u.

Choker work may be suitable in the beggining of the workout. If u can do at least 5 singles with 22 mm using one choker are great news.

I wish TNS closing the #2.5 was that easy but I've been within a few mm for months now. I tried a wider spread on my #3 today and did it with only a few warm-ups on the #1...couldn't quite get it closed, about 3mm away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13Oct08

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30#, 40# - broke ground, 35# - 1sec, 35# 1sec

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, , 50# - R broke ground L 5sec, 55# - L broke ground, 45# - 5sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 50# - 5sec, 60# - 5sec, 70# - R 5sec (PR) L failed, 75# - R 1sec

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x5

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm attempt 3mm away

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm attempt 3mm away

#2.5 R&L - TNS attempt 2mm away

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#2 R&L - MMS

#1 R&L - TNS x10

#1 - parallel reps R 20 L 25

2 7/8" DB lift R&L - 80# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec

Reverse Wrist Curl 2 7/8" DB R&L - 10# x5

Wrist Curl 2 7/8" DB R&L - 30# x5

I picked up a standard DB bar (and another 20# plate) last week while in a bigger city and today I stopped by my local machine shop and had them cut me a piece of 2 7/8" pipe (they didn't have 3") so I could make it a thick handled DB. I planned ahead and did a couple things to help lock the plates down so it would feel more like a solid DB (like the Inch). That was a huge success and I couldn't help but try a few extra attempts - it rolled out just as I had heard the Inch does. I only have 95# total in weight plates and can fit a maximum of 82.5# on the DB bar. I'm sure I could lift another 10 or 20# but my current assortment of plates won't allow it. I even tried it thumbless once...failed miserably, wrist gave out (I read this makes it a wrist test and it was). Lifting this thick DB is now one of my favorite exercises.

It was raining today and maybe that explains the good pinching I had. My hands were sticking to the pinch block really well and I got 70# up for the first time ever with my right hand. Both hands felt solid with 60# as well. I got the IM hub up with 50# on my left and broke ground with 55# (first time ever to attempt 55#). Grippers were just OK today. Tried the #3 gripper with a wider spread and didn't quite make it.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gumpster

• ewokhugo

• Griparn

• easyWeight

Top Posters In This Topic

Good workout! The pinching and hub lifting seems really good. :) Nice to hear you have finally got yourself a thick handled dumbell. I think it's a great training tool for overall handstrength. I havent used mine for deadlifts in a while now, but I think I will start using it again.

Good workout! The pinching and hub lifting seems really good. :) Nice to hear you have finally got yourself a thick handled dumbell. I think it's a great training tool for overall handstrength. I havent used mine for deadlifts in a while now, but I think I will start using it again.

Thanks! I'm loving the new grip toy - thick handled DB. With it I'm replacing most of the exercises I did with the PVC pipe attached to the loading pin. I also tried some thumbless work with it today since this is my wrist workout...quite a bit harder than with the thumb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15Oct08

Grippers - #2 R&L - MMS 56 singles throughout the day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18Oct08

Stacker Lift - R&L 20# hold for 5sec, 30# L 5sec R failed, 25# hold for 5sec, 25# hold for 5sec

8# Sledge Front - R&L 5sec holds choked up 10"/8"/10"/10"

8# Sledge Rear - R&L 5sec holds choked up 0"/0"/0"/0"/0"

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 20"x2/18"x2/16"x1/18"x2

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L 1/2/1

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# 3reps, 10# 3reps, 15# 3reps

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 5reps, 35# 5reps, 35# 8reps

Plate Wrist Curls - R&L 20# 4reps, 20# 4reps

2 7/8" DB Thumbless - R&L 50# 5sec, 50# 5sec, 50# 5sec

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x 5

#2.5 R&L - TNS attempt 5mm away

#2.5 R&L - MMS attempt 2mm away

#2.5 R&L - MMS L good 5sec R 2mm away

Tearing - deck of cards attempt, got about 40 or so ripped together after a few tore apart and slipped off from the top and bottom (maybe 2 minutes total), then tore the halves in half

Had to travel out of town again on the 15th so I took my #2 gripper with me that day. I considered doing TNS closes but it would have been futile since I wouldn't have been able to do very many. I was struggling to get a MMS close by the end of the day. Skin got chewed up a bit like the day I did the 150 #1 closes but no worse. Just something for variety and a little fun.

Today I had a good workout (with the exception of grippers - I guess I need a break from grippers). Mostly wrist stuff and using my newly crafted thick DB. I tried to add a bit more sledge work and decided to use the thick DB for some thumbless lifts. I think I could get a little more than 50# thumbless but the wrist strain was definitely felt. Afterward, I tried to tear a full deck of cards but the top/bottom cards just kept slipping/tearing in half. After shedding a dozen or so cards I was able to finish ripping it. That's my best attempt so far. Best part of today's workout...no nagging pain in my hands/arms. :)

I plan to bend in a few days but I doubt my FBBC order will arrive by then. I'm really curious to try the 1/4" Grade 5 & 8 bolts as well as the bastard. I'm also working on getting digital calipers shipped to me from the USA as I can't find any here. Not being able to accurately measure stock that I buy locally and to show for videos/certs is frustrating. Hell, I might even give braced bending a shot in the not too distant future.

21Oct08

Bending DU - 60d, 7mm x 6.5" - finished the kinked bar from previous sessions

Bending DO - 60d, 7mm round medley 5"/5.5"/6"/6.5"/7", 5/16" x 6" bolt (G2?), 9mm x 5" to 85deg, 5/16" x 6" bolt (G5?) I've been using for ISOs...got it to 45deg

Bending Reverse - 60d, 6.5mm square medley 5"/5.5"/6"/6.5"/7"

Big bending day today. I got a little burnt out on doing PR bend attempt after PR bend attempt each bending session so today I switched things up a bit. Inspired by some of the elite guys I went after a couple medleys - Reverse using 6.5mm square & DO using 7mm round. I started with the shortest pieces (5") and then worked my way up to 7". No real trouble but the bends got tougher as I became more tired. Finished both medleys in just a couple minutes so I'm pleased. I wrapped up the 7mm x 6.5" bar I was struggling with DU and got it finished off today. Next time I'll start with a fresh bar and see if I can get a PR. The rest of the time I spent doing DO and loaded up a new bolt I found recently which was about half the cost of the 5/16" x 6" ISO bolt I've been working on. It must have been a grade 2 since I got it finished but the threads started to go before the shaft did and I had to move my wrap up on that side a bit. I tried another short fat 9mm x 5" HRS bar and got it to 85deg (last time I got it to 75deg so this is progress). Getting past that spot is my weak area. The final battle was with my slightly kinked incredibly hard 5/16" x 6" bolt that I have been using for weeks. I got it to move a bit (to about 45deg) but then it froze on me again. I seriously think this is a grade 5 bolt and it will take me a few more months I imagine to finish it. Great day overall and no injuries to speak of, just normal aching from intense bending. :happy

23Oct08

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 2sec, 25#, 30# - 2sec

IM Hub - R&L 30# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 50# - R failed L broke ground, 45# - R broke ground L 5sec, 40# - 5sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 50# - 5sec, 60# - R broke ground L failed, 55# - R 2sec L broke ground

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#1 R&L - TNS x5

2 7/8" DB lift R&L 80# - 5sec, 80# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 5sec, 82.5# - 10sec

I was still a bit sore from bending two days ago but wanted to do something. I guess I should have waited another day at least. Really weak on everything but still enjoyed the thick DB lifting.

Have you got the FBBC order yet? :)

Nope, no sign of it yet. I ordered it over 2 weeks ago but it could easily take that long to make it over to my corner of the world. Hopefully nothing happened to it. I'll send John an email to check up on it.

26Oct08

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x3

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 1mm L 3mm

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm attempt 3mm

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 1mm L 4mm

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm attempt 3mm

#2 R&L - TNS 10sec hold

#2.5 - MMS coin hold R 10sec L 8sec

#1 - parallel reps R 24 L 33

#2 - parallel reps R 3 L 3

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#1 - parallel reps R 30 L 33

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

+extensor work with rubber bands

Feeling a little sick today but did grippers anyway. I got the #2.5 TNS just a hair away from closed with my right hand. I will have it before the new year. Tried to add some variety to my gripper routine with a coin hold/TNS/MMS/parallel reps. I've never been a big fan of repping grippers but with the #1 it can be fun sometimes. I tried to kind of "sprint" at the start and do as many as I could really fast then I had to muscle through the rest. It really started burning around 30 reps which can't hurt I guess. The strange thing is my right is my stronger hand with crushing grip, but when speed repping the #1 I seem to do better with the left (I am left-handed so maybe I'm more explosive/quicker with that hand). Still a few mm away from getting the #3 in a choker @30mm but I think I'll stick with that spread since it's easy to judge progress.

Sounds like a good workout! :) 1mm away from TNS #2.5 is sooooooo disturbingly close. :D But Im sure you'll close it very soon!

Intresting also to see that your right hand has a stronger crush even though you are left-handed.

1mm away from TNS #2.5 is sooooooo disturbingly close.

Yeah, I stood there holding it at that spot for a few seconds...thinking to myself "what do I have to do to close this thing?" That's the closest I've been so at least I'm making progress.

29Oct08

Stacker Lift - R&L 20# hold for 5sec, 30# failed, 27.5# hold for 5sec

8# Sledge Front - R&L 5sec holds choked up 12"/10"/10"/10"

8# Sledge Rear - R&L 5sec holds choked up 0"/0"/0"/0"

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 18"x1/16"x1/18"x3

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L 1/1/1

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# 3reps, 12.5# 3reps, 12.5# 2reps

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 5reps, 35# 5reps, 40# 3reps

Plate Wrist Curls - R&L 20# 5reps, 20# 3reps

2 7/8" DB Thumbless Lift - R&L 55# 10sec, 55# 10sec, 55# 10sec

Grippers - #1 - parallel reps R 31 L 38

Tearing - deck of cards attempt in the box (plastic wrapper removed), got about 1/2" tear started and then the box started to slip and fall into pieces. About 3 more cards tore/slipped off while I struggled with the rest of the deck. I finally got it but it took a minute or so. Then I tore the halves in half with about half a deck in each tear. I only have one deck left from the 7 decks I bought about 8 months ago.

Still sick but had to do something. I have continued my running since whatever I caught seems to be affecting only my nose/throat, so grip work should be OK as well. Felt a little weak but still had a good workout. I didn't have all my plates with me and could only fit 55# on the thick DB. I'll make sure to brig more next time and give 60#+ a try thumbless. Finished off by grabbing the #1 and parallel repping for fun. Took the dog for a walk and then gave a deck of cards a go (still in the box). It seemed to help me hold the cards together and I got it to start. If I can find some more cheap cards I'll continue working on this feat. Not sure if I'm getting over my sickness but I felt better after the workout.

P.S. I checked with John and my FBBC bending stock is on the way now. :D

1Nov08

Bending DU - 8mm x 7" (PR)

Bending DO - 9mm x 7" HRS, 5/16" x 5.5" bolt (threads bent - couldn't finish it), 8mm x5" failed (got to 85deg), 7mm x 6" square (was barely kinked from 8 Oct session) finished in about 10 minutes

Bending Reverse - 9mm x 6.5" HRS 75deg (PR), 9mm x 6" HRS 65deg (PR)

My FBBC bending stock should be arriving in the next week or so and I wanted to get some quality bends in. I made a couple videos as practice for certs that will happen soon. Part of the success might be the fact that I used new wraps for most of the bends. I took a shot in the dark with the DU. It was really hard and barely within 30 seconds - huge PR for me in that style. Reverse was similar with two PR bends. I've gained quite a bit of strength and noticed that with my left hand forward (holding the bar up) I'm much stronger than with my right hand forward. DO was good but no PRs. I didn't do any warm-up bends with 60d nails like I usually do. The 9mm HRS was good for a warm-up though...not too hard, not too easy. I bought a 5/16" x 5.5" bolt just like the 6.5" bolts I've bent before. Unfortunately, it gave way on the threads and I was unable to finish it off...though I tried for over 5 minutes. I attempted 8mm x 5" and quickly got it to around 85deg where it froze on me. 5" stock kills me. My last bend was a piece of 7mm x 6" square that I barely kinked on 8 Oct. I took it past 90deg and thought it would be a done deal but that final crush down was a monster...took about 10 minutes to finally get it under 2". Had I attempted a fresh bar earlier I know I could have finished it in under 5 minutes.

An issue I have now is that I don't have any stock in the 6"-7" range that I can't bend DO. Even the 5/16" x 6" beast of a bolt I've been using for ISOs is finally going down. I need to find something a bit tougher than the 9mm HRS/8mm CRS/7mm square that I have. My advanced bender's bag and a few more pieces are on the way but I'll be using many of those to test myself and cert on. It costs way too much to use those for regular bending (shipping way over here isn't cheap). I'll look around next chance I get and see what is available.

3Nov08

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 5mm L 3mm

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm attempt 5mm

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 1cm L 3mm

#2 R&L - TNS attempt 1mm

#2.5 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS attempt 2mm

#2 - TNS attempt R good L 1mm (dogleg in fingers)

#2 - parallel reps R 5 L 6

#2 R&L - TNS attempt 2mm

#2 R&L - MMS 30sec hold

#1 - parallel reps R 36 L 43

+extensor work with rubber bands

Thought maybe I should wait another day but since I had to go out and do stuff that required me walking several miles and getting sweaty I did some grippers when I got home. I wanted to give the #2.5 TNS another run but for some reason it just felt out of place today. I couldn't find the groove in my right hand and it felt slippery even though I was using plenty of chalk. I was a little further away on the choked #3 as well. Then I figured I'd do a #2 TNS to remind me I can close it...couldn't get it, 1mm away. I couldn't figure it out. On my third attempt I switched the gripper around so the dogleg was in my fingers and nailed it with my right hand...strange indeed. The rest of the workout was OK. Tried something I've never done with the #2...held it shut for 30sec. That was possibly the most painful thing I have done with grippers. It took about 5 minutes for the smashed skin on my fingers between the knuckles to return to semi-normal shape. Finished off with a couple of PR parallel rep-outs on the #1. I'm starting to enjoy that to finish my gripper workouts.

6Nov08

FBBC Chunk - R&L 25# - 5sec, 30# - 2sec, 30# - 1sec

IM Hub - R&L 35# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 45# - broke ground

3" Pinch Block - R&L 40# - 5sec, 50# - R 5sec L 1sec, 45# - 5sec

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS 2mm away

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

2 7/8" DB lift R&L 82.5# - 10sec

95# - 5sec

85# - 5sec

82.5# - 5sec

82.5# - 5sec

82.5# - 5sec

82.5# - 5sec

82.5# - 5sec

Didn't feel strong today. Had trouble with normally routine weights on the chunk/hub/block. Grippers felt weak also. I added all my plates (95# total) by hanging 6.25 on each end of the thick DB. I got it up but I could tell I wasn't going to be able to do it for long. Still enjoying that big fatty even though I was feeling weak.

I found some thicker HRS bar a couple days ago (looks to be between 10-11mm). I cut an 8" piece and did some isos with it the last couple days so maybe that weakened me. The bar didn't move even 1mm.

• 2 weeks later...

13Nov08

Grippers R&L - #1 - 100 TNS closes throughout the day

15Nov08

Bending DO - FBBC Bastard attempt - barely moved it (3mm), FBBC 1/4" x 7" square (forgot to show my wraps - oops), FBBC 1/4" x 7" square, FBBC 1/4" x 6" Grade 5 bolt, FBBC 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 bolt attempt - got it to 90deg

Bending Reverse - FBBC 1/4" x 7" square attempt - moved it a little (6mm)

I was really excited for this day but ended up feeling like a failure. I just got my first ever batch of FBBC bending stock and thought I had a real shot at getting the bastard. I got humbled. I barely moved it. Not sure what happened...an off-day maybe. I took over a week off and only did a bit of gripper work two days ago so I thought I'd be fresh for this. I had some soreness in my shoulders/traps for several days before just from carrying the box of bending stock back from the post office (about 5km). If the FBBC stock is really as hard as it felt today I have some work to do. Also, the stock I have bought locally really is looking bad about now...it doesn't even compare. The square stock felt harder than I expected since I have bent thicker and shorter locally purchased stuff. The grade 5 bolt I was happy went down without too much trouble but I had no idea what it would feel like. The grade 8 bolt was a disappointment. Maybe the pressure of trying to wrap it up quickly since I was on video got to me. I did a horrible wrapping job and the thing froze on me right at 90deg. Nothing felt good today. I'm going to get back into my routine and go after the grade 8 next bending session. I didn't even try anything DU and the reverse attempt on the square felt so wrong. I thought I would have been able to get it but it only moved a little.

Great work on that 1/4"X7" Square-FBBC! Don't beat yourself up about the Bastard man. Another day. Might be a very hard one, who knows. It might be a 480, which felt considerably harder than the normal ones.

Great work on that 1/4"X7" Square-FBBC! Don't beat yourself up about the Bastard man. Another day. Might be a very hard one, who knows. It might be a 480, which felt considerably harder than the normal ones.

Thanks Ben! Yep it could be a hard Bastard.

18Nov08

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 1mm L 3mm

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm attempt 2mm

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 1mm L 4mm

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 2mm L 5mm

#2 - parallel reps R 8 L 5

#2 R&L - TNS 5sec hold

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 5mm L 5mm

#2 - TNS attempt R 1mm L 1mm

#1 R&L - parallel reps 30

#2 R&L - MMS 15sec hold

+ crushed down 6" G8 bolt from last workout to under 2" (it was at 90deg)

Felt pretty good today - at least as strong as any other day so far on grippers. The #2.5 TNS is still barely hanging onto a gap. I'll get it soon enough. After the grippers I did some ISOs on the grade 8 bolt that froze on me at 90deg last workout. I felt it move a little so I went after it and got it down to just under 2". I think I can kill one of these when I'm fresh.

21Nov08

FBBC Chunk - R&L 20# - 5sec, 30# - 2sec, 30# - 2sec, 25# - 5sec

IM Hub - R&L 30# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 45# - R 3sec L 5sec, 50# R fail L 2sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 50# - 5sec, 55# - R 5sec L 1sec, 60# - R broke ground L fail, 55# - R 2sec L 1sec, 50# - 5sec, 50# - 5sec

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - MMS x1

#2.5 R&L - MMS x1

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#1 R&L - 20 parallel reps

2 7/8" DB DL - R&L 82.5#

95#

85#

85#

85#

82.5#

82.5#

Felt OK today but weak on grippers. Instead of doing holds for time on the thick DB I did full DLs for a change. I'm way overdue for a wrist workout (stacker, sledge, etc) so I'll do that next. Then a few days later, go back to bending since my wrists always feel tighter after those wrist workouts.

24Nov08

Stacker Lift - R&L 20# 5sec, 30# R 1sec L 5sec, 27.5# 5sec, 25# 5sec

8# Sledge Front - R&L 5sec holds choked up 10"/8" R 3sec L 5sec/10"/10"/10"

8# Sledge Rear - R&L 5sec holds choked up 0"/0"/0"/0"/0"

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 18"x1/16"x1/18"x1/18"x1/18"x1

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L 1/1/1/1/1

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# 3reps, 12.5# R 3reps L 2reps, 10# 5reps

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 5reps, 40# 3reps

Plate Wrist Curls - R&L 20# 5reps, 20# R 4reps L 3reps

2 7/8" DB Thumbless Lift - R&L 50# 10sec, 55# 10sec, 55# 10sec, 60# 10sec

Grippers - #1 - R&L 20 parallel reps

#1 - R&L 3 TNS reps

Felt OK today. I've been doing some bending ISOs (hitting a bar in DO & reverse that I can't move for several seconds, then repeat a few times) each day for about the last week and I think that's keeping me in a state of constant lower arm/hand fatigue. My performance didn't seem to suffer much today so I can't say it hurt. Tried 60# on the thick DB thumbless and, while I could lift & hold it, I could definitely feel it stressing my wrists. It feels different than any other exercises I do but I think it will help with overall hand strength.

27Nov08

Bending

DU - FBBC 1/4" x 7"

Rev - FBBC 1/4" x 7"

DO - FBBC 1/4" x 6.5" Square

DU - FBBC 1/4" x 6" Grade 5 bolt - failed, got it to about 20deg

DO - FBBC 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 bolt - failed, got it to about 10deg

DO - FBBC 1/4" x 5.5" Grade 5 bolt

DO - FBBC 1/4" x 5" Grade 5 bolt - failed, got a 3mm kink

DO - 60d

DO - FBBC 5/16" x 6" Grade 2 bolt

DU - FBBC 1/4" x 6"

Rev - FBBC 1/4" x 6"

I was hoping for a great bending day but it just didn't happen. I used all FBBC stock (except for a 60d) so I could get a feel for the 1/4" round stuff. It's a bit more stout than the stuff I buy locally. I got the 1/4" x 7" square last time so I cut off half an inch and got it again. It seems a little odd to me that there is 7", 6", 5.5" & 5" stock but not any 6.5" in the bender's bag. Anyway, the 6.5" square was a fairly tough bend for me today. I doubt I could have pulled off the 6". I had a go at a grade 5 DU and it only moved a little (20deg). I gave it all I had and almost tore skin off my pinkies. I got a decent kink in the grade 8 last time and crushed it down a few days later so I thought I might be able to get it. Bad day, weak day, stronger bolt...who knows. I could barely move the damn thing today. Tried a 5.5" grade 5 bolt and it wasn't too much trouble, so I figured I should do some damage to a 5". It was like a completely different animal - wayyyy harder. After looking things over I discovered the 5" bolt was "JH" brand and the others were FNL and triangle marked. The grade 8 bolt I bent last time was a triangle and this time was a FNL...maybe they differ quite a bit? I guess I got some of each in my bender's bag. Took down one of my regular 60d nails and it felt fairly easy. Decided to try out one of the 5/16" x 6" grade 2 bolts. Pretty tough bend for me but I rested 10-15 seconds after each hit and got movement each time. A satisfying bend it was. I finished off with a piece of 1/4" x 6" round in DU and reverse style. DU was a bit of a struggle but reverse went down easy.

My hands and forearms are aching so at least I know I had a good workout even if I didn't feel really strong. Maybe next time I can get that grade 8 finished off.

30Nov08

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 2mm L 3mm

#2.5 - TNS R good (PR!) L 3mm

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm R good (PR!) L 5mm

#3 R&L - Choker@30mm R 1mm L 5mm

#2.5 - CCS attempt 3mm away

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 - parallel reps R 8 L 5

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2.5 R&L - Choker@30mm 5sec hold

#1 R&L - parallel reps R 32 L 38

+ a few ISOs on a Bastard bar

This is the day I've been waiting for. :D Finally got that damn #2.5 TNS closed (only with the right). I had been stuck at just a couple mm for months now. I also got the #3 closed in the choker @30mm spread - first time at that width, so another PR. Now I just have to get consistent with the right TNS on the #2.5 and I'm sure I'll get the left in the next few months. I closed the #2.5 with a MMS 11 months ago and gripper progress has been slow all year. I started bending in Feb so I guess what I heard was true (bending will hinder progress on grippers). I thought I might pull off the MM0 this year but that will have to wait until next year...along with the Bastard. It seemed so easy last year when I only trained with my #2 as that was the only grip equipment I had. I saw progress every month. Trying to train all aspects of grip and the balancing act becomes much more tricky.

Thanks NEETOP!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3Dec08

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - broke ground, 25# - 5sec, 25# - 5sec, 30# - 5sec

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, 45# - R failed L 3sec, 45# - R 1sec L 3sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 45# - 5sec, 50# - 5sec, 55# - R 3sec L 3sec, 55# - R 5sec L 3sec

2 7/8" DB - R&L 80# DL

82.5# DL

82.5# DL

82.5# DL

82.5# DL

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 5sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS failed

#2.5 R&L - MMS failed

+bending ISOs

Nothing special today. Felt weak on the hub and like a little girl on grippers...pathetic even. The chunk seemed like it wouldn't budge with 30# at first but after a couple tries with 25# and going back to 30# it was solid. Enjoyed the thick DB as usual. A couple of locals (Filipinos) saw me lifting it and came over to give it a try. They couldn't get any air, took off 20# and still couldn't get it. Made me feel a little better. Forearms and hands felt destroyed after the bending ISOs.

Congrats on the TNS #2.5!! Thats really good! :rock

Thanks, it was a long time coming. I really didn't think it would take nearly a year to get it. Slow progress is still progress. :happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7Dec08

Stacker Lift - R&L 20# 5sec, 25# 5sec, 30# failed, 27.5# 3sec

8# Sledge Front - R&L 5sec holds choked up 8"/10"/10"/10"

8# Sledge Rear - R&L 5sec holds choked up 0"/0"/0"/0"

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 18"x1/16"x1/18"x1/18"x1

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L 1/1/1/1

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# 5reps, 15# 1rep, 12.5# 3reps

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 5reps, 35# 5reps, 40# 2reps

Plate Wrist Curls - R&L 20# 6reps

2 7/8" DB Thumbless Lift - R&L 60# 10sec, 70# 10sec, 72.5# 10sec, 72.5# 10sec, 72.5# 10sec

Weaver Stick Front - R&L 5# (PR), 3.75#, 3.75#

Weaver Stick Rear - R&L 7.5# failed (got air though), 5#, 5#

+Bending ISOs (DO) - killed my ISO bolt (5/16" x 6")

Felt weak on the stacker - couldn't get 30# up with my left which is usually a given. Had a good workout other than that. Did all the weights I had with me that would fit on my thick DB using the thumbless style. I might be able to get nearly what I can with the thumb soon. I haven't used my weaver stick in months so I gave it a shot today. Managed to get 5# up in front which is my best ever but couldn't get 7.5# up rear which would have been a PR. I may have been able to if I did it earlier in my workout though. I've been doing bending ISOs after my non-bending workouts just to keep stressing the areas that need to get stronger. Today I used my trusty 5/16" x 6" unmarked bolt that I bought locally (way harder than the FBBC 5/16" x 6" Grade 2 bolt). I had kinked it a little some months back and was making tiny bits of progress on it. Today I felt it move a bit so I went after it. It took me a good 10 minutes or so but I managed to get it past that evil 100-80deg range. I wiped a bit of chalk between my fingers and got it locked in nice and tight for the crush down. I was feeling really good after killing that thing. I would rate that beast harder than the 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 bolts. I'm really looking forward to my next workout now which is bending.