Gumpster's Gripping

gumpster

Darin(sorry Perry for using your log for this):

language barrier : i mean using bench,squats to warm up the hands before picking the goal gripper:-)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gumpster

• ewokhugo

• Griparn

• easyWeight

Top Posters In This Topic

Darin(sorry Perry for using your log for this):

language barrier : i mean using bench,squats to warm up the hands before picking the goal gripper:-)

Damn language barrier! I understand now :D

14Jun09

Grippers - #3 - MMS R 4mm L 1cm

#3 - MMS R 1/4"

(at gym)

2-35s Pinch - failed, but felt like they were just about to come up

2-25s Pinch - good

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec, 40# - R 3sec L 5sec, 35# - 5sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 50# - 5sec, 65# - 1sec, 62.5# - R 3sec L broke ground, 55# - 5sec, 55# - 5sec

2 7/8" DB Lift - R&L 100# 5sec hold

120# broke ground

110# 5sec hold

110# 5sec hold

120# broke ground

100# 5sec hold

100# 5sec hold

100# 5sec hold

100# 5sec hold

Plate Curls - R&L 25# negative x1, held at parallel for 10sec

Plate Wrist Curls - 25# R4 L5

DB Wrist Curls - R&L 40# x5

BB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 30# x10

BB Wrist Curls - R&L 90# x10, 90# x10

1HDL (BB) - 160# (couldn't do full DL due to the lack of collars and tile flooring so I just held it for few seconds)

Bending (all with IM wraps)

DU - 60d

Rev - 7.3mm x 6"

DO - 7.65mm x 7"

DU - 7.3mm x 6"

Rev - 7.65mm x 7"

DO - 7.65mm x 7"

DO - 7.65mm x 7"

DO - 7.65mm x 7"

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x5

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#3 - MMS - R 4mm L 1cm

#2 R&L - Parallel Reps x5

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#1 R&L - Parallel Reps x10

#2 R&L - TNS x1

Card Tearing - 4 easy decks (3 normal, 1 longways)

+a few pull-ups with I+M, M+R, and even one with R+P

Tried a different attack on the #3 - no warm-up closes on easier grippers just jumping right in. I can't say this isn't going to work for me with just one try but today wasn't the best day for it I think. It just didn't feel right trying to set or the closing. My attempts were worse than when I do warm-up closes. I didn't feel really strong on anything else today (including grippers) so maybe this was an off day. I will try it again and if that is no different maybe I'll try something in the middle.

I planned to go to the gym I found last month but when I arrived they were closed (it is Sunday) - my fault for not checking what days they were open. I started walking back and stumbled upon another gym - my lucky day. This place just so happened to have a few plates for pinching (only 25s & 35s) and way more space. Of course the entire gym floor is covered in brittle tiles and most of them are smashed (hmmm...how did that happen?). Anyway, I got down to business and even tried a couple new things. The 35s were about the same as the other place (glossy paint - some rust/peeling, chalk would have made it worse) but they felt like they were just about to leave the ground. 25s were no problem. Had a couple solid holds with my thick DB at #110 and broke ground with #120 - my best effort so far. Tried some barbell wrist curls (normal and reverse) for the first time. Didn't test for a max just wanted to try it with something I knew I could handle (I guessed the weight for the bar at 20# as it's a non-Olympic bar). I even tried a 1HDL just for fun. They didn't have anything to secure the weights on the bar so I didn't want to go for a full DL (not to mention the lack of floor protection if something fell) - I just braced my off hand on my thigh and pulled the bar up about 6" and held it. 160# felt pretty heavy - probably the heaviest thing I've ever lifted with one hand in my entire life. I may be able to get a bit more, possibly 200#. I did some 2-finger pull ups (that's 2 on each hand) just for kicks - the R+P was the hardest by far. Did some light card tearing and bending as well. I purposely left my leather wraps at home so as not to tempt myself (I need more practice with the IM wraps anyway).

You're right it might have been an off day. Some warming up to get the blood flowing is good. I just don't warm up with grippers. Jumprope, speedbag, squats, a short run or the like, should do the trick.

20Jun09

Grippers - #2 R&L - TNS 10 singles

#2 R&L - 5 parallel reps

#2 R&L - TNS 2 singles

Bending - unbraced - 60d into an "M" shape (pic link below)

DO - 7.3mm x 6.5"- in IM wraps

Tearing - medium deck of cards

later...

Stacker Lift - R&L 20# 5sec, 25# 5sec

(inches between hand and head of hammer)

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds - 14" 5sec, 16" 5sec

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds - 20" 5sec, 22" 5sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides - 10"x1, 10"x1

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L - 20"x1

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# x5

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 40# x5

Plate Curls - R&L 20# x3

2 7/8" DB Lift Thumbless - R&L 40# 5sec, 60# 5sec

Had another multi-hour wait at the bus stop so I took my #2 and a few pieces of steel. I decided to try the 60d W or M like I saw Mark Vogels do last year. This was way harder than I anticipated and it took me about 20 minutes. I also bent one other piece of steel and ripped a deck of cards before going home. After some lunch I wanted to do my normal wrist exercises but I could feel my body was drained. I was really weak and not up to much weight or volume so I cut things back drastically. I think the 60d bend sapped my strength and today I can feel the soreness. My right wrist is still bothering me on the overhead/rear levers. I probably strained it a bit during the bend as well. My right palm feels sore also. I never would have thought one little old 60d could trash me so bad. I'll rest a few days and hopefully get some good bending in.

60d in an "M"

"Multi-hour wait" for the bus? That's insane man!

That 60D M is awesome! Nice work there!

Perry: The 60 d M its quite impressive and beautifull at the same time!

why not to destroy one 60 d nail in 2 or 3 pieces like Mark did?

"Multi-hour wait" for the bus? That's insane man!

That 60D M is awesome! Nice work there!

Yeah, I generally have to sit at the bus stop once a week while my wife goes shopping (she runs a little grocery store). I just watch her bags/boxes until she shows up and hops on a bus to go to work. It's not that bad considering I no longer have to work. I retired at age 30 and am now a house-husband. :blush

Thanks!

Perry: The 60 d M its quite impressive and beautifull at the same time!

why not to destroy one 60 d nail in 2 or 3 pieces like Mark did?

Thanks Hugo! I've never tried to break a nail, so the next time I'm in the mood to play with a 60d I'll go for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

24Jun09

Bending

Rev - FBBC 5/16" x 6" G2 Bolt (@32deg from previous attempts) - didn't move it

DO - Red (@5 5/8" from previous attempts) - didn't move it

DU - 60d - felt easy and no pain in my right wrist

DO - 5/16" x 7.5" CRS (@10deg from previous attempts) - didn't move it

DU - 8.5mm x 6.5" HRS - killed it, 80deg, PR with that stock

DO - 5/16" x 6" F593c Bolt (@3.75" from previous attempts) - barely moved to 3 5/8"

DU - 60d - in IM wraps

DO - 5/16" x 6" G2 Bolt (dull grey/locally purchased) - killed in less than a minute, first time I've finished one within 5min

Rev - 7mm x 7" Square HRS - killed it, felt strong

DU - 7.65mm x 5" - killed, PR with this stock

Rev - 7.65mm x 5" - killed, PR with this stock

DO - 7mm x 5" Square HRS - took about 30 minutes to get it down to 2"

DO - FBBC 1/4" x 7" Square CRS

Grippers - #2 R&L - TNS x5 singles

Strange bending day - things didn't go so well to start but the more I did the better I felt. The DU 60d went down like butter and I didn't have any pain in my right wrist which was a surprise so I did a couple more with PR bars which was awesome. Couldn't do anything to the bolt that was stuck from previous reverse attempts, but later I had a couple strong reverse bends - guess I just needed to warm-up a bit. DO was a bit frustrating since the other styles were going so well. I just couldn't budge the stuck red or 7.5" CRS and barely moved the F593c bolt. Then I tried one of my locally purchased dull grey 5/16" G2 bolts and I killed it quick for the first time ever. I went after another 7mm x 5" square but this ended up taking about the same time as the first one I tried some weeks ago - brutal crush (I was finally getting tired by then).

interesting workout Perry!

U are capacble to get down the f 593 c bolt if u start with it while u are fresh.

Red nail its a pain in the ass, its one hard red ...after i got down one big bastard 3 months ago in 5-6 minutes;i did the same using one 6.5 "red from the same stock and i got stucked at 85 deg . the red nail its around the average + bastard level. ever tried to use your right palm against the end of the bar , this way i got the 6.5 red down easely(triceps power against my leg).

Thanks Hugo! Yeah, I think I can make progress on the F593c bolt if I'm fresh since I can interlock my fingers on that one. The red is just frozen. I'm sure I'll get it moving eventually but it'll take time (or as Gazza says - "time & pain"). I've never been able to use much tricep strength while bending - I don't really have much in the tricep department. :blush

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

27Jun09

FBBC Chunk - R&L 25# - 5sec, 30# - 5sec, 35# - 2sec, 30# - 5sec

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, 45# - R 3sec L 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 40# - 2sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 50# - 5sec, 55# - R 5sec L 3sec, 55# - R 5sec L 3sec, 50# - R 10sec L 6sec

5/8" Thin Pinch - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - R 5sec L 2sec, 35# - 5sec

5/8" Key Pinch - R&L 25# - 5sec, 27.5# - R 2sec L 5sec, 30# - 1sec

5/8" Palm Pinch - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec

Plate Curl Negatives - R&L 20# - 5sec hold at parallel

R&L 20#+5#+5#+pin - 5sec hold at parallel

R&L 20#+5#+5#+pin - 5sec hold at parallel

2 7/8" DB Lift - R&L 82.5# 5sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# R 6sec L 10sec hold

82.5# 5sec hold

82.5# 5sec hold

Grippers - #2 R&L - TNS x1 hold 5sec

#2 R&L - TNS x1

#2 R&L - parallel reps x4

Bending - ISOs on the red stuck at 5 5/8"(80deg)...no movement

ISOs on 5/16" x 7.5" CRS stuck at 10deg...no movement

Uneventful workout at home. Didn't feel really strong on anything today but I tried to get a good workout in. I don't get to use all my equipment when I go to the gym so I may just go once a month to try plate pinching and add a little extra weight to my thick DB since I can't do that at home. I did some bending ISOs at the end when I was tired so I can't expect to do any damage to those stuck bars.

I've been doing a rotation of 4 grip routines for a long time now and I did some thinking on it. Since I usually do a good bit of crushing on my bending day and my palms take a beating it might not be the best idea to do grippers the next workout. Also, I've been doing my wrist workout and then bending next...both are hard on the wrists. So I'm going to switch it up and do Pinch-Wrist-Grippers-Bending, repeat. I was doing Pinch-Wrist-Bending-Grippers. Maybe my hands will feel fresher on gripper day and I'll get that #3 before year's end. I'm on a plateau anyway so it can't hurt.

1Jul09 (the year is half over...time is flying)

Grippers - #2 R&L - TNS

#2 R&L - 5 parallel reps

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - 5 parallel reps

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - 5 parallel reps

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

#2 R&L - 5 parallel reps

#2 R&L - TNS

#2 R&L - MMS 10sec hold

Bending - ISOs on 5/16" x 7.5" CRS (stuck at 10deg) - might have moved it 1deg

later...

Stacker Lift - R&L 20# 5sec, 25# 5sec

(inches between hand and head of hammer)

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds - R 20" L 22" 5sec, R 20" L 22" 5sec, 20" 5sec

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds - 28" 5sec, 28" 5sec, 28" 5sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides - 12"x1, 12"x1, 10"x2

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L - 28"x1, 28"x1, 28"x3

2 7/8" DB Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 15# x3, 12.5# x3

2 7/8" DB Wrist Curls - R&L 50# x4, 40# x10

Plate Curls - R&L 20#+5#+5#+pin - 5sec hold at parallel

20#+5#+5#+pin - 5sec hold at parallel

20# x3

Plate Wrist Curl - R&L 20# x5

2 7/8" DB Lift Thumbless - R&L 82.5# 5sec, 82.5# 5sec, 80# R 5sec L 10sec

Tearing - medium deck of cards+2 cards

Bending - ISOs on 5/16" x 7.5" CRS from earlier today - no progress

ISOs on cheat-kinked bastard that's at 30deg - no progress

Another other wait at the bus stop today. Did a good bit of gripper work on my #2 and some ISOs on a stuck bar - might have made 1mm of progress but I gave it a bunch of good hits. A little later back home I got in my wrist workout. The gripper and ISO work probably drained me a bit but I did OK. Got a few reps with my thick DB wrist curling 50# - never did that weight before so it's a kind of PR. My right wrist pain returned during the overhead/rear levering. I'll have to wait and see how DU bending goes in a week or so. I'll hit grippers hard in a few days.

Perry, already tried the deck of cards i have send to u?

I tried one deck some weeks back...failed. :blush Those things are really difficult - very slippery and sharp. Each time I would go for a tear the front/back cards would slip and rip in half. I think those would qualify as "hard" and I'm not quite strong enough yet. Thanks for sending them though.

8Jul09

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x3

#3 - MMS attempt R 1/4" L 1cm

#3 - MMS attempt R 1/4" L 1cm

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 1mm L 2mm

#3 - MMS attempt R 4mm L 1cm

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 3mm L 3mm

#2.5 - parallel reps R 4 L 3

#2 - parallel reps R 11 L 8

#3 - MMS attempt R 5mm L 1cm, #2.5 R&L - MMS, #2 R&L - MMS, #1 R&L - TNS (drop set - back-to-back closes)

#2 R&L - TNS

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS

#1 R&L - 44 parallel reps

#2 R&L - TNS 5sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#1 R&L - TNS x10

Bending

DO - 5/16" x 7.75" CRS - finished but took about 30 minutes

ISOs on cheat-kinked FBBC bastard (@30deg) - moved it to 42deg

ISOs on 5/16" x 7.5" CRS (stuck at 11deg) - I think I moved it 1deg

I took a whole week off from grip due to some soreness in my wrists/forearms from the last workout. Not sure why I got so sore but I was still sore before today's workout. Felt better once I got going. Tried hitting the #3 again with just a few #1 closes before instead of cold - didn't feel good. I had a better attempt later but nothing near my best (2mm). Mixed things up a little by trying the drop set thing Jedd posted a video about this past week. I did more than just two grippers, since I only have 4 I ran through them all. Just average on grippers today. Added in some bending for fun. I have only completed one bend of the 5/16" CRS stock I purchased locally - an 8" piece which took several workouts. I have been working on a 7.5" piece but so far I have only wobbled it. Today I started with a fresh bar at 7.75" and was able to get a kink in it. I had to rest a few minutes between hits but eventually I got it down under 2" (maybe 30min total). I then put some hits on the cheat-kinked bastard I've been working on for months - moved it about 12deg. That was the first time I have ever "felt" the FBBC bastard stock move so it was pretty cool. The bar I cheat-kinked was one I had been using for ISOs since last November and had only wobbled a few degrees. I gave the 7.5" bar I've been working on some hits but only moved it about a degree. I may have been too tired at that point. I'm looking forward to my next workout a bit more than usual since it's bending. I want to see if I can move that bastard a bit more.

nice job perry by killing the 7.75" crs!

i am positive this steel at 7" its only slightly easier than the triangule edgin:-)

so u are agood contender for the 8" edgin cert:-))

Thanks Hugo, an 8" Edgin might be fun but I think I need to be taking down a bastard with ease first. When I reach that point I'll consider ordering some.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12Jul09

Bending

Rev - FBBC 5/16" x6" Grade 2 bolt (@32deg) - no progress

DU - 60d - right wrist hurt a bit

DO - FBBC bastard (@42deg) - no progress

DO - Red (@5 5/8", 80deg) - no progress

DO - 5/16" x 7.5" CRS (@11deg) - no progress

DO - F593c bolt (@3 5/8") - moved it to 2 13/16"

DU - 8.5mm x 6" HRS - got it to 90deg (PR with this stock)

Rev - 8.5mm x 5.5" HRS - got it to 60deg (PR with this stock)

DU - 8.5mm x 5.5" HRS - got it to 75deg (PR with this stock)

DO - 2 - FBBC 1/4" x 7" round taped together (barely wobbled from previous attempt) - moved it to 15deg

Tearing - medium deck of cards

Started out hitting some hard stuff and couldn't make a dent in them. A bit later I seemed to get in my groove and did a few good bends. This is reminding me of grippers where if I just jump in on hard attempts I don't seem to do so well. I guess I need a bit of a warm-up on bending also. Anyway, I couldn't budge most of the bars I've been working on in DO style but I got some good ISO work with all the effort I put in. I was really hoping to make some progress on the bastard I moved last workout and I could have sworn I felt it move but it may have just been flexing and my hands slipping a bit on the wraps. I was happy to get a couple PRs with the 8.5mm HRS I purchased locally. My right wrist hurt a bit while doing the bends but later it felt OK. I attempted the 2 x 1/4" bars many months ago and barely wobbled it. I got a little bit of movement on them today which was fun.

Awesome work on the f593c bolt Perry! a new thophy its ready for u:-)

the 7" red(hard stock) its damm hard for a red nail; i bend some average bastards easier than the red u are using.

Hugo, the F593c bolt is now a trophy. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15Jul09

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x3

#2 R&L - TNS

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 2mm L 2mm

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#1 R&L - TNS x3

#1 R&L - TNS x3

#1 R&L - MMS 2-finger close (I+M)

#2.5 - TNS attempt R 4mm L 4mm

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#2.5 R&L - parallel reps x2

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2.5 R&L - MMS 5sec hold

#2 R&L - TNS

#1 R&L - TNS x10

#2 R&L - TNS

#1 R&L - parallel reps x20

#1 R&L - TNS x10

Bending

unbraced scrolling - 60d - attempted to break it but gave up and made an "M"

Rev - 7.3mm x 6.25" CRS (IM wraps)

DO - 5/16" x 6" F593c bolt (@2 13/16") - finished it off, crushed down to 1 11/16"

Rev - 7.3mm x 7" CRS (IM wraps)

Tearing - medium deck of cards, quartered one half

Wasn't even planning to do anything today but had to spend a couple hours waiting at the bus stop so I took my toys with me. Got in some gripper work but didn't feel strong. Decided to give breaking a 60d a shot after Hugo suggested it. I bent it back and forth a few times but then it seemed to start bending on either side of the main bend so I gave up on breaking it and made it into an "M" shape. I did it all unbraced so maybe if I had braced a bit I could have done more damage. Did a couple IM wrap bends and was also able to finally finish off the F593c bolt Hugo sent me. That is one tough bolt for a grade 2 - hard all the way through and the crush stumped me for several weeks. I felt it move on each of the 4 hits I gave it. Also tore a medium deck of cards and quartered one half (I think that's the first time I've quartered a medium deck...took about 20-30sec, very hard). My next workout (pinch) will have to wait a few more days since I couldn't control myself today.

Congrats Perry for the new trophy!

I believe breaking one 60d nail its not a prob for u.

did u used the horshoe technique?

Nice work Perry :rock

Wow Perry :blink Serious volume! :rock Strong work bro!

Thanks, I've had some days with much more volume.

Congrats Perry for the new trophy!

I believe breaking one 60d nail its not a prob for u.

did u used the horshoe technique?

Thanks Hugo! No, I didn't use the horseshoe technique like you did on the red. I did it all unbraced. I'm sure I'll try bracing sometime.

Nice work Perry :rock

Thanks John!

19Jul09

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - R 5sec L 3sec, 40# - R broke ground

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec, 50# - 3sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 55# - 5sec, 60# - R 5sec L 1sec, 65# - R 2sec L broke ground

5/8" Thin Pinch - R&L 30# - 5sec, 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec

5/8" Key Pinch - R&L 25# - 5sec, 25# - 5sec, 30# - 5sec, 30# - 5sec

5/8" Palm Pinch - R&L 50# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec, 50# - 5sec

Plate Curls - R&L 20# x5

2 7/8" DB Lift - R&L 82.5# 5sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

82.5# 10sec hold

Grippers - #1 R&L - TNS x2

#3 - MMS R 1mm (PR) L 5mm

#3 - MMS R 3mm L 6mm

#3 - MMS R 2mm L 6mm

#2.5 R&L - MMS

#2 R&L - MMS

#1 R&L - parallel reps x40

Bending - Rev - ISOs on the FBBC 5/16" x 6" Grade 2 bolt - no movement

DO - ISOs on 5/16" x 7.5" CRS (@10deg) - moved it a little to 13deg

DO - 60d in IM wraps

Rev - tried a 60d in one IM wrap...no go, ouch! (Hugo, you have my respect on that one.)

Back on schedule after the last unplanned workout and nonstop rain for the past 3 days. I took the dog for a walk as my warm-up and decided to give John Eaton's suggestion another try on grippers. I did a couple closes on the #1 just to put my hands through the motion, then I chalked up and gave the #3 my best shot. I got it down to just a tiny gap with my right hand - a PR! Left hand is lagging behind as always. Had a couple more decent attempts but no improvement. I think I may have the old MMS done in the next couple months if I can get my set down consistantly. Pretty good workout overall - got the hub up with 50# both hands and good lifts on the chunk/block/thin pinch. Doing the left hand thin palm pinch it felt like my fingers were pulling apart at the joints but no damage was done. Hit some stuck bars in rev/DO and moved the 7.5" x 5/16" bar a few deg.

nice attempt Perry (60 d nail in one im wraps)! the hardest part its the kink the rest will go down easely; give it a try again while u are fresh:-)