Acorn Inch Lift Or Bust!

acorn

Aaron, what do you use for a choker? I really think these days that it is more productive to use a choker around the handles vs. choking the gripper around the spring.

I'm using a hose clamp around the handles. Also some electrical tape or athletic tape on the knurling so they dont get chewed up.

-Aaron

Edited by acorn

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• BrandonA

• The Natural

• vikingsrule92

Aaron, what do you use for a choker? I really think these days that it is more productive to use a choker around the handles vs. choking the gripper around the spring.

I'm using a hose clamp around the handles. Also some electrical tape or athletic tape on the knurling so they dont get chewed up.

-Aaron

That is exactly what I do also.

You are looking very strong on the choker stuff, will be interesting to hear what kind of choker form you'll be in when you hit your next MMS PR.

-Aaron

That is exactly what I do also.

You are looking very strong on the choker stuff, will be interesting to hear what kind of choker form you'll be in when you hit your next MMS PR.

you and me both. Been trying to train with this some as we are doing choker closes at the next comp I'm planning on going to: SOH in less than 4weeks.

- Aaron

Aaron, you seem to be in peak shape. Having tried a 215 pound gripper in a choker recently for laughs, I can almost relate to the crazy gripper strength you're demonstrating.

Aaron, you seem to be in peak shape. Having tried a 215 pound gripper in a choker recently for laughs, I can almost relate to the crazy gripper strength you're demonstrating.

Thanks Eric, its up and down though.

Cant remember much from Weds workout except grippers were down, pinch was ok, bending I missed on the insane golden only got it to 30deg or so Later I finished off Dereks stuck huge shiny from 4" in 3 solid hits.

This morning I did a little gym work

15min treadmill

Squats

6x135#

20x225#

Bench (first time benching in 18months at least)

6x135#

17x225#

Standing Dumbell press

3x70#

2x90#

low pulley weighted crunches

10x55#

- Aaron

1st time benching in 18 months and you hit 225 for what 17????? Very nice....Gotta try them 20 rep squats...not sure I have the endurance for them right now...been hitting 5 reps at the most....

-B

1st time benching in 18 months and you hit 225 for what 17?????

Aaron tends to cause that on people, you know, using many signs of interrogation or exclamation, heh heh.

I guess all that bending kept the pecs strong? :tongue

Aaron tends to cause that on people, you know, using many signs of interrogation or exclamation, heh heh.

That sounds like NFL combine-type numbers already-225 for reps. :whacked:rock:cool

Aaron, Teemu, or anyone, what is the rationale for "using a choker around the handles vs. choking the gripper around the spring." How is that more productive? Please excuse my ignorance.

That sounds like NFL combine-type numbers already-225 for reps. :whacked:rock:cool

Aaron, Teemu, or anyone, what is the rationale for "using a choker around the handles vs. choking the gripper around the spring." How is that more productive? Please excuse my ignorance.

I'd also be interested in hearing your rationale for this, guys. I've got pretty wide palms so when I put the hose clamp on the handles, I'm squeezing against the clamp. I'm forced to use a washer over the spring.

Bench (first time benching in 18months at least)

6x135#

17x225#

Damn, that's good. It kind of makes me wonder if I could get by with benching less and bending more without losing bench strength.

1st time benching in 18 months and you hit 225 for what 17????? Very nice....Gotta try them 20 rep squats...not sure I have the endurance for them right now...been hitting 5 reps at the most....

-B

I'm already sore from them :D

yeah, I guess it did.

Its pretty good, but I did 225 for 27 as a Junior in HS at 30# lighter. Still a pretty good maintenance level for me though. Main reason why I am doing the choker closes is because that is how grippers are being contested at the SOH grip comp next month.

I'd also be interested in hearing your rationale for this, guys. I've got pretty wide palms so when I put the hose clamp on the handles, I'm squeezing against the clamp. I'm forced to use a washer over the spring.

Yeah I'm rubbing up against the clamp too but hoping not to pinch any skin. Just too lazy to do the washer thing. Thanks for the interest guys.

- Aaron

Your just a beast man, plain and simple..I need to start hanging out with you more, maybe it will rub off a bit...

-B

Your just a beast man, plain and simple..I need to start hanging out with you more, maybe it will rub off a bit...

-B

:D

Sounds good to me.

- Aaron

Aaron, some quality workouts here, nice volume aswell. Your grippers are very strong at the moment, this is great considering how much work you are doing on everything else at the moment. My grippers fall off really quickly if i do too much other stuff like pinching and loads of thick bar. Keep it up buddy!

Aaron, some quality workouts here, nice volume aswell. Your grippers are very strong at the moment, this is great considering how much work you are doing on everything else at the moment. My grippers fall off really quickly if i do too much other stuff like pinching and loads of thick bar. Keep it up buddy!

Thanks Sam, I'm prolly overdoing it abit as my grippers can go up and down alot from workout to workout. Speaking of that I did a few gripper closes this afternoon.

Close miss on the Flush BBSE chokered to 7/8 a couple times and a long SW hold w/78# RH, and 68 LH. Couple of Inch attempts also.

- Aaron

Anything worth noting on the inch yesterday? Decent air?

maybe a couple inches. got a 2 second hold at the top with a 1finger assisted lift as well.

- Aaron

Played around with grippers some yesterday. It was an unscheduled training day so I went easy. gonna deload a little as it feels like I'm overtraining. Prolly cut the inch work til after the contest too.

Anyway

4/1/08

Kettlebells snatches warmup

Grippers

warmup #T, #1, #2, Filed #3 RH, Easy 3 LH

Chokered BBSE @ parallel 4x1 reps RH

Chokered #3.5 @ parallel 3 attempts turned neg LH

Chokered #3.5 1x3 reps RH

2HP

1x2 165#

- Aaron

Ok I couldnt help myself. was watching Big Steves DVD today and had to try some stuff.

Card tearing

( a bunch) worked on tearing and quartering with partial decks of gold crowns

Phone book 1.5" quartered

1/2x13" crushdown work

6.5x3/8 (crown bolt 690@7") isos moved it a little

St Croix Ultra lite #1 hearted

2HP

2x165#

- Aaron

ok, this being at home stuff is bad.

Added #3.5 in choker parallel 5 reps RH

Negs LH

couple inch attempts. assisted neg. and 2H clean.

2HP 2x165#

attempt on 1/2x16" bar braced. Got to about 30deg.

and St croix #1 polo to past 180 deg PR

- Aaron

Someone needs a babysitter..LOL....Good Stuff Aaron....Wont be coming by tonight, going to give my wrist a break, still pretty sore after my battle with the bastard, but sore= growth, so it is all good....

-B

Someone needs a babysitter..LOL....Good Stuff Aaron....Wont be coming by tonight, going to give my wrist a break, still pretty sore after my battle with the bastard, but sore= growth, so it is all good....

-B

Thanks Brandon, yeah I prolly do. get well man.

Last night was feeling pretty beat up but pushed thru it

2HP

2x2x165#

1x185#

1x205#

1x215#

0x220# broke off the groun a few inches

9sec hold at 200#

2 45s 1H pinch

2x1 RH, broke off ground LH then negs

2"vbar

was terrible

up to 220 RH, 185 LH

12# hammer lever to head a couple times

2"axle DL from blocks

2x215#

2x305#

1x325#

1x335#

last one was slipping out and I could tell I was totally fried so I stopped.

Arms and hands feel like they got backed over with a backhoe. gonna try to take a little time off to get out of this overtraining.

- Aaron

Three sessions in one day?? Damn man, you got the bug bad...hahahaahhaah...Good stuff bro..Fish oil really helps me with recovery. I take 6 dbl strenght gel caps a day...You deserve a day off or two, if you can handle it....Was able to sneek to the gym last night, did some light benching and dumbell work with the wrist wrapped pretty tight...feels great today, so I should be able to do some bending this weekend...

-B

Nice 2 hand pinch work :blink