Blob Neg

+2.5# 6sec hold RH

4sec hold LH

8sec hold RH

4sec hold LH

Inch

block rollups

3x each hand onto 3.5" block

Hop Scotch attempts with 2x4 (trying to pull it from one side to the other over the block)

5x each hand almost clearing on a couple attempts RH

Negs

2x each hand

Thumbless Negs

2x each hand

TTK

15sec hold 27# LH

7sec hold 32# RH

8sec hold 32# RH

Sledge 12#

Parallel holds front 16" 10sec RH

15" 5sec LH

to head 14.5# 10sec hold just off forehead RH

5sec hold 1 foot from forehead LH

Rev wrist curl 135# neg 5sec

wrist curl hold neutral position 205# 11sec

elbows down feel pretty toasty now. I got a little bit of vid of the inch hop scotches too.

- Aaron

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• BrandonA

• The Natural

• vikingsrule92

Will you be bringing that dumbbell to Texas? Or are you flying?

We are driving, but I was still trying to decide on whether or not to bring it. We are planning on doing some camping along the way and visiting my family in Houston afterwards so room for it might be an issue. After that gonna visit San Antonio (Wife relative there) and Austin. Hope to see a few sites.

- Aaron

Well I live in Austin, and could recommend some places to eat at or visit.

Will you be bringing that dumbbell to Texas? Or are you flying?

We are driving, but I was still trying to decide on whether or not to bring it. We are planning on doing some camping along the way and visiting my family in Houston afterwards so room for it might be an issue. After that gonna visit San Antonio (Wife relative there) and Austin. Hope to see a few sites.

- Aaron

Well I live in Austin, and could recommend some places to eat at or visit.

Awesome, I grew up in Houston but never had an opportunity to visit Austin. Always wanted to.

- Aaron

Looks like you had some fun last night...good stuff...you should be able to get that inch to lock out in now time...

-B

Had a half decent workout last night with Rex. He did some sick stuff himself though. I will post mine when I get home as I didnt bring my log into work. I did get a few PRs though. ones I'm thinking about right now is almost clearing a 2x4 on inch hop-scotch PR, 205x16sec hold on static wrist curl, getting 3 singles with 2 45s pinch RH PR, and breaking it off the ground first time LH. Grippers are down RH right now, missed on the #3.5 again, but LH closed my filed hard #3 in the choker and my easy BBE lefty as well. The BBE close I think ties my best close LH. Blobs I didnt push too much, but did get a lift in each hand.

2HP worked up to 215# for a single then back down to 185 for easy 15sec hold. 2" vbar did 2 pulls, 235# and 255# RH. got a 2H inch clean 1 to each side into the press position. No press though :). Levered to the face pretty strictly my 12# sledge with 2.5# plate added RH anyway. Felt like I would have brained myself lefty. Front sledge lift holding hammer parallel to ground and lifting to tabletop I got 20" I think from the head on my 12# hammer RH, and 17" LH both I think might be PRs. Did some other inch work as well with lifts onto block holds 3.5" block, some drags, a few lift attempts, and some negs. Finished the workout with a few timed holds with the #6 tug R&P and I+M each hand and some timed holds with the TTK at 1" position 32# RH, 27# LH. thumbs were pretty worn out by this point so times were not what I was hoping. I think I covered alot more than I planned here.

Anyway decent night and no new injuries so thats even better.

- Aaron

H 205x16sec hold on static wrist curl

Aaron, great workout. I've never tried the "static wrist curl". Is that an arm-wrestling training movement or one you devised to develop wrist strength to fight the rotation of the Inch? The only other reference i found via Google is here. I believe a lot of grip strength is isometric-or related to same, so you appear to be on the right track with your routine, very innovative! :rock:cool Probably less injury risk than super-heavy regular wrist curls as well.

Nice pinching the 45s so easily as well. That lift continues to elude me. I can do it with a finger touch on the side with either hand, but haven't broken both plates off the ground at the same time yet.

Aaron, great workout. I've never tried the "static wrist curl". Is that an arm-wrestling training movement or one you devised to develop wrist strength to fight the rotation of the Inch? The only other reference i found via Google is here. I believe a lot of grip strength is isometric-or related to same, so you appear to be on the right track with your routine, very innovative! :rock:cool Probably less injury risk than super-heavy regular wrist curls as well.

Nice pinching the 45s so easily as well. That lift continues to elude me. I can do it with a finger touch on the side with either hand, but haven't broken both plates off the ground at the same time yet.

Thanks Odin, the static wrist curl is just what I'm calling it. It prolly has some other name that I dont know. Its basically something I came up with to use an iso type training in the strong range of the exercise. my wrists tendons get pretty grumpy with the dynamic movements like plate wrist curls and wrist curls. I feel like my wrist flexion strength is one of the weakpoints I needed to address to pull that bad boy so this is one of the ways I'm working on it. I also think that static strength increases will lead to dynamic strength increases in more than just one small area of the range. Especially if you pick the right spot in the range to do them. The increase to the dynamic may not be as large as the static, but some times you just have to weigh that with other factors. by doing these longer holds in the strong range of a few exercises I hope to stimulate primarily the FG fibers (Fast-Glycolytic) for some growth. I've been reading some science on that stuff lately and wanted to try some ideas out as a result. Hope this helps clarify some. let me know if you have questions.

- Aaron

Thanks Odin, the static wrist curl is just what I'm calling it. It prolly has some other name that I dont know. Its basically something I came up with to use an iso type training in the strong range of the exercise. my wrists tendons get pretty grumpy with the dynamic movements like plate wrist curls and wrist curls. I feel like my wrist flexion strength is one of the weakpoints I needed to address to pull that bad boy so this is one of the ways I'm working on it. I also think that static strength increases will lead to dynamic strength increases in more than just one small area of the range. Especially if you pick the right spot in the range to do them. The increase to the dynamic may not be as large as the static, but some times you just have to weigh that with other factors. by doing these longer holds in the strong range of a few exercises I hope to stimulate primarily the FG fibers (Fast-Glycolytic) for some growth. I've been reading some science on that stuff lately and wanted to try some ideas out as a result. Hope this helps clarify some. let me know if you have questions.

- Aaron

Very interesting information Aaron. I noticed a similar phenomenon when trying behind-the-back wrist curls the other day. I'm guessing this movement is more like a power (upper-ROM) wrist curl, because 225x5 felt pretty good, and I'm imagining would be a good companion exercise for regular wrist curls.

I think heavy finger curls might be another piece of the puzzle when training to lift the Inch.

How high do you think someone needs to be pulling it consistently before it has a chance to fly up to full DL at any moment? Mid-shin-or higher?

What range do you hold the static wrist curls in(parallel)?

just above parallel. but fairly close to it. Closer to that than full contraction.

- Aaron

I remember Austin Slater writing something about how Todd Hutchings did something pretty close. He would do a static db wrist curl. I wanna say it was right above parallel since a lot of AWs don't like to train their wrists in a losing position. I tried it a couple of times doing holds to failure, really toasts your forearm.

I remember Austin Slater writing something about how Todd Hutchings did something pretty close. He would do a static db wrist curl. I wanna say it was right above parallel since a lot of AWs don't like to train their wrists in a losing position. I tried it a couple of times doing holds to failure, really toasts your forearm.

I didn't know anyone else did that, but it surely does let the smoke out of your forearm. Rex was there last night and I think he would attest to the fact it tore me up. Still time went up from previous workout and I hit my time goal so next week I go up in weight. :D

- Aaron

Had a half decent workout last night with Rex. He did some sick stuff himself though. I will post mine when I get home as I didnt bring my log into work. I did get a few PRs though. ones I'm thinking about right now is almost clearing a 2x4 on inch hop-scotch PR, 205x16sec hold on static wrist curl, getting 3 singles with 2 45s pinch RH PR, and breaking it off the ground first time LH. Grippers are down RH right now, missed on the #3.5 again, but LH closed my filed hard #3 in the choker and my easy BBE lefty as well. The BBE close I think ties my best close LH. Blobs I didnt push too much, but did get a lift in each hand.

2HP worked up to 215# for a single then back down to 185 for easy 15sec hold. 2" vbar did 2 pulls, 235# and 255# RH. got a 2H inch clean 1 to each side into the press position. No press though :). Levered to the face pretty strictly my 12# sledge with 2.5# plate added RH anyway. Felt like I would have brained myself lefty. Front sledge lift holding hammer parallel to ground and lifting to tabletop I got 20" I think from the head on my 12# hammer RH, and 17" LH both I think might be PRs. Did some other inch work as well with lifts onto block holds 3.5" block, some drags, a few lift attempts, and some negs. Finished the workout with a few timed holds with the #6 tug R&P and I+M each hand and some timed holds with the TTK at 1" position 32# RH, 27# LH. thumbs were pretty worn out by this point so times were not what I was hoping. I think I covered alot more than I planned here.

Anyway decent night and no new injuries so thats even better.

- Aaron

Strong! Great workout, Aaron!

Thanks Eric,

Wasnt really planning on training today as I was pretty wore out from work on our rental. Poured a sidewalk yesterday and some other stuff today. But John called and was telling me about TPS and I decided to grab the grippers and see how they felt. When I tried the Filed hard #3 in the choker and it slammed shut like a store bought gripper I knew I was in for some fun.

Grippers

warmup #T, #1, #2, Easy #3 BH

Filed Hard #3 in parallel choker BH

BBE @ 1/8 mount RH

Easy BBE LH

Flush mount BBSE in parallel choker RH PR closed for the first time cal 188.5#

BBGE @ 1/4 mount MM5 setting in parallel choker RH PR closed for the first time cal 192#

BBE @ 1/8 mount LH to 1/8 from close turned neg

#4 Black spring in choker @ 5/8" closed to 1/8 RH PR calibrated at 215#

#4 Black spring in choker @ 5/8 Neg opened to 1/16 or less RH

2HP

1x165

1x185

1x205

2x1x225 close misses

2"vbar

1x160, 1x185, 1x205 BH,

1x215 1" LH

1x240 RH

1x260 RH

Blob BH

Blob + 10# Neg RH

Inch

multiple attempts

2x Negs

2HP 205x9sec hold PR

12# sledge

Front lift holding parallel to ground 18" RH, 16" LH, 20" RH, 18" LH just shy of lockout.

1x16# sledge to head RH PR

1x13.5# sledge to head LH PR

TTK

32#x4sec hold RH, 27#x7sec hold LH

Axle Wrist extension hold 2x1x105#x5sec PR

Axle Wrist curl hold 1x235#x5sec PR

6# sledge Front hold parallel to ground 15sec RH PR, 7sec LH PR, 4sec LH

2finger work

#6 tug

R+P 10sec RH, 9sec LH

I+M #2x12sec RH, #6 Tugx15sec LH

Thumb Negs pony clamp 3203

Definately feeling my hands and forearms now. Really happy with the grippers today, very unexpected.

- Aaron

Lots of PRs Aaron! I think the #4 will fall this year. :cool:cool:cool

Looks like your sledge levering has improved a lot. I have just moved beyond broomstick level, so that 16.5 looks Eatonesque to me. :rock:rock:rock

Great choker closes Aaron! Seems like your levering is moving up quick too.

Thanks Eric,

Wasnt really planning on training today as I was pretty wore out from work on our rental. Poured a sidewalk yesterday and some other stuff today. But John called and was telling me about TPS and I decided to grab the grippers and see how they felt. When I tried the Filed hard #3 in the choker and it slammed shut like a store bought gripper I knew I was in for some fun.

Grippers

warmup #T, #1, #2, Easy #3 BH

Filed Hard #3 in parallel choker BH

BBE @ 1/8 mount RH

Easy BBE LH

Flush mount BBSE in parallel choker RH PR closed for the first time cal 188.5#

BBGE @ 1/4 mount MM5 setting in parallel choker RH PR closed for the first time cal 192#

BBE @ 1/8 mount LH to 1/8 from close turned neg

#4 Black spring in choker @ 5/8" closed to 1/8 RH PR calibrated at 215#

#4 Black spring in choker @ 5/8 Neg opened to 1/16 or less RH

2HP

1x165

1x185

1x205

2x1x225 close misses

2"vbar

1x160, 1x185, 1x205 BH,

1x215 1" LH

1x240 RH

1x260 RH

Blob BH

Blob + 10# Neg RH

Inch

multiple attempts

2x Negs

2HP 205x9sec hold PR

12# sledge

Front lift holding parallel to ground 18" RH, 16" LH, 20" RH, 18" LH just shy of lockout.

1x16# sledge to head RH PR

1x13.5# sledge to head LH PR

TTK

32#x4sec hold RH, 27#x7sec hold LH

Axle Wrist extension hold 2x1x105#x5sec PR

Axle Wrist curl hold 1x235#x5sec PR

6# sledge Front hold parallel to ground 15sec RH PR, 7sec LH PR, 4sec LH

2finger work

#6 tug

R+P 10sec RH, 9sec LH

I+M #2x12sec RH, #6 Tugx15sec LH

Thumb Negs pony clamp 3203

Definately feeling my hands and forearms now. Really happy with the grippers today, very unexpected.

- Aaron

Would you say that the Tug really helps the R&P for gripper closes? Or do you think something else is better?

Would you say that the Tug really helps the R&P for gripper closes? Or do you think something else is better?

I think it might. Not enough data yet for me to say for sure its that or something else in my training the helps the most. I do like them as a finishing exercise though.

- Aaron

Aaron, what do you use for a choker? I really think these days that it is more productive to use a choker around the handles vs. choking the gripper around the spring.