Table No Set

xrated618

Closing A Gripper  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best way to train closing a gripper?

• TNS
    • CCS
    • MMS
    • Combination of all three

Bob, I saw your TNS #2 and that's good stuff! Looks like a wide gripper too. Jason Payne's got a doozy of a #2 that would challenge a lot of guys to no set it.

I guess my real issue is that I have a very small hand, only about 7", and I am really trying to progress at grippers, but I seem to be stuck right around #2 (on a really good day) but I have not seem improvement for a couple of months now. I believe this is largely because I am horrible at pretty much all sets. I find it really difficult to set a #2 and I can close it further with TNS than MMS or CCS, which shouldn't be the case. I feel as though my other hand is not strong enough to properly set the gripper. I guess it is really hard to explain without looking at my technique and what I do, but I guess my question is: Is it normal to not be able to MMS as much at first and should I incorporate that more into my workouts so that it improves or what can I do to get over this hump? I know you will probably need to ask more questions to find out, so I will check this thread regularly to answer them, but your help is greatly appreciated.

-- Jason

Also, thanks for all the responses on the poll.

I guess my real issue is that I have a very small hand, only about 7", and I am really trying to progress at grippers, but I seem to be stuck right around #2 (on a really good day) but I have not seem improvement for a couple of months now. I believe this is largely because I am horrible at pretty much all sets. I find it really difficult to set a #2 and I can close it further with TNS than MMS or CCS, which shouldn't be the case. I feel as though my other hand is not strong enough to properly set the gripper. I guess it is really hard to explain without looking at my technique and what I do, but I guess my question is: Is it normal to not be able to MMS as much at first and should I incorporate that more into my workouts so that it improves or what can I do to get over this hump? I know you will probably need to ask more questions to find out, so I will check this thread regularly to answer them, but your help is greatly appreciated.

-- Jason

As all things, it is a matter of practice. It is clear that you need to incorporate more set closes into your workout to get better at them. Also if you can't close your #2 in any way for most of the time, you need an easier gripper to be your main tool in your gripper training. You should have a gripper that you are able to set and close for a few singles or just a couple of reps any day and build up from there by adding volume gradually. Gripper close with a parallel set requires specific strength and skill that needs specific practice and it needs to be done over and over again. You'll get more comfortable with the set within time. Edited by Teemu I

-- Jason

I squeeze with my closing hand while my other hand sets. I wouldn't set for **** if I only used my setting hand to get it down.

-- Jason

As I have gotten to harder grippers I cant really set the gripper how I want it. So I practice just setting my goal gripper or one above it a few times. #3 is my goal gripper at the moment, and its a pain for me to set this thing. So I practice setting it 3 or 4 times. My GM sweep is noticeably harder then both my #3s so I practice with that one as well, and when I go to set my #3 it is a little bit easier. So practice on your setting ability.

My gripper ability remained at a level just below my previous peak for several years up until I started training parallel set choker closes in preparation for Gripmas Carol. Now I'm stronger than I've ever been regardless of type of set (no-set, credit card, parallel). I suspect most of the progress can be attributed to the enthusiasm that being able to close tougher grippers brought to my training.