Question Concerning Loss Of Bending Strength...

gothrik

I will have to check again later....I was sure it was inches, anyways the whole point is that the blue and the bolt I thought was 3/16 were the same size and the bolt I thought was 1/4 was larger than the blue (putting the end up together they all look about the same thats why I didn't realize.)

Anyways I figured that what I thought was 3/16 was 1/4 and what I thought was 1/4 is 5/16.

How I measured was wrapping the tape around the end of the bar. can't remember if it was inches or cm but the "3/16" (I thought) was the same measurement as the blue and the "1/4" (I thought) was larger than the blue. Basicly I was getting frustraited because I thougth it was easier stock than it is. I will know for sure next time I go and buy bolts though.

How hard approx would a 5/16 g2 be at 6inches long?

Oh on another note my numbers may be a little messed up cause my tape has some annoying little metal tags at the end that don't let me wrap the bar well.

It is probably cm though.

Thanks for the answers

I guess that makes sense. It must have been a 5/16 G2. The kink is pretty tough...I'd say similar to a 1/4" square at 7". Much harder than a blue.

Why don't you just measure diameter instead of circumference? It's how most of us measure. And it's easier.

Ya just cut off one end and before you grind it or anything put the end against a tape measure.

You can tell just from that what it is you don't even need a caliper for that.

I was trying to measure them like that, but on the blues form IM I have at the ends they taper in just slightly (in the last cm or so) because of the angle they were cut at. And the bolts have the screw part at the end and I wasn't sure how to measure that.

Also I have never bothered to take the ends of my bolts, and don't have any tools to do it with. (My cut blues I went to a friends metal shop to cut...)