St. Croix Polo 1

MalachiMcMullen

Did you get any other size polos from John? I'm curious how the #2 would rate. I've only ever had the one #1 from Chris Rider but I think the #2 would make a good bend.

Again great job. It's a nice step up from the ultra lite.

Tim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MalachiMcMullen

• Tim71

• vikingsrule92

• DAN PRAYDIS

Did you get any other size polos from John? I'm curious how the #2 would rate. I've only ever had the one #1 from Chris Rider but I think the #2 would make a good bend.

Again great job. It's a nice step up from the ultra lite.

Tim

John is only carrying the Size 1 Polo for right now, said he'd get some different ones in the coming months but for now just the Polo 1's.

Call me crazy but I think the #2 would be easier. Maybe it's just me but the SCF UL 2 is the easiest shoe to bend, I can turn one into a heart anytime I try and in bulk, but the 1's are very difficult. EVERYTIME I bend a 1 it takes me 5 minutes to get it into a heart. It's not the size either, 0's go as easy as the 2's and I have 7 1/4" hands. I think it's more a leverage thing.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I know what you mean and I can explain that. It varies with the brands but horseshoes use the same thickness and width for only 2 or 3 different sizes and when you get to the size that the steel size increases then it takes a jump up in difficulty again. In other words let's say a UL shoe in size 1 and size 2 are the same width and same thickness, then as you noticed the #2 will be easier.

On one of the horseshoe sites, it gives the thickness and width for the different size shoes and that's what made me notice that. I don't remember where the steel size changes for the different sizes and brands but if I remember right, 2 or 3 sizes are usually stamped or forged from the same thickness and width. I think, but don't hold me to it, that the diamond classics get wider when you go to a #2 and for most the #2 gets harder than the #1. And usually as you go down then the 0 is harder than the one too because of the reduced leverage.

If I find the chart again I'll post it but I think it was the actual Diamond or St croix website.

Tim

Having done a couple of the DC #2 shoes now, I finally did a #1 last night. It's definitely the same thickness and just a little bit wider, but to me it felt noticeably harder throughout the entire bend. No great revelation here, being that we're talking about steel, but I'm sure results will vary, based on a whole slew of different factors. :tongue

Eric,

Your experiences is why I said "for most". Maybe hand size plays into it some too? Of course I've had 3 distinct strengths of DC1 horseshoes and I assume the same holds true for other sizes as well, so I can immagine a #2 of the easiest of the 3 would be easier than a DC1 of the hardest variety.

Wrenches, horseshoes, nails, bolts, you name it and it all varies unfortuneately. Don't these people know we need consistancy to bend these things?

Tim

Oh, BTW, the band is Gogol Bordello so... yeah I was quite sure no one would guess it :D

I have bent Polo #2s and they are definitely harder than a #1. Maybe Chris Rider can chime in, he knows the exact width/thickness/size of the rim for the St. Croix shoes and they do step up a bit by size.

Nice bend.

Dig the song, too, but I'd have gone with "Think Locally, F*** Globally."

-r

I thought about it but I figured since this one was shorter I would put it on there so you could hear more of the song :D

:rock :rock :rock Gogol Bordello :rock :rock :rock

I have bent Polo #2s and they are definitely harder than a #1. Maybe Chris Rider can chime in, he knows the exact width/thickness/size of the rim for the St. Croix shoes and they do step up a bit by size.

i posted 2 pics of the no 1 and 2 shoe made by st croix in the gallery the no 2 looks lots harder and more steel in it :Dhttp://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6738

i posted 2 pics of the no 1 and 2 shoe made by st croix in the gallery the no 2 looks lots harder and more steel in it :Dhttp://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6738

It looks like that #2 is the Lite version I heard about somewhere. Am I right guys?

Good Picks though Dan thanks!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Zach I agree with you, that #2 looks a lot like some of the Lites I've seen, the way the ridges are designed isn't the same as a polo

It looks like that #2 is the Lite version I heard about somewhere. Am I right guys?

your right buddy what is the difference the light i got in the pic was the next step up in bending that i saw where i got them they had 1,2,3,4 in regular and light the ones i got were the closest in bending

your right buddy what is the difference the light i got in the pic was the next step up in bending that i saw where i got them they had 1,2,3,4 in regular and light the ones i got were the closest in bending

Look at the ridges/rims of the shoe, they're different. Oh okay, yeah I've seen some of the Regulars and I don't think they're even bendable by human hands the Lites still look monstrous! Did they not have Polo #2s? Mine does.

Well I can tell you from experience now that a shoe like that #2 is a pretty large step up from that 1. I'll have pics up of some of my shoes, including my Polo 1's, my Diamonds and my Ultralite size 1's in a few minutes here.

Man that stuff is tough, I just bent my first one today. Its' a st croix lite #1 I think. Is this the easiest one to start with?

I see there is a bit of disagrement about the exact progression but what is the general idea here?

What should I shoot for next?

Also how close are the ends of the heart suppose to be. I have them about 1" apart and I can't seem to get any kind of leverage to close them all the way.

From looking at the st croix website http://www.stcroixforge.com/products/products.html all the sizes from 1 to 3 of the same type, lite or regular, have the same width and thickness. They both are 3/4" wide and the lite is 5/16" thick and the regular is 3/8". I have no idea if this is the same for all the ones they ever made that are out there or what amount of variance there is between batches and such.

Just based upon that information it seems to me that you should have more leverage with a shoe that is longer but of equal width and thickness. So the 3 would be easiest and the 1 the toughest. Not sure if 3/8" number 3 would be harder than a 5/16" number 1 but this is like comparing a 5" x 1/4" square to a 7" bastard.

Also what is a polo? Is this a regular at 3/8" or something different?

And where do Diamonds fall in this spectrum?

Are there other big companies that make standard shoes other than these 2?

Are you talking about a Lite or an ultralite? If it's a lite then HOLY CRAP!!! If it's an ultra lite a 0 might ahve been better but yeah a 1 is a pretty good starting point. Yes longer is better leverage, and I think the less thickness the easier regardless of length.

Man that stuff is tough, I just bent my first one today. Its' a st croix lite #1 I think. Is this the easiest one to start with?

I see there is a bit of disagrement about the exact progression but what is the general idea here?

What should I shoot for next?

Also how close are the ends of the heart suppose to be. I have them about 1" apart and I can't seem to get any kind of leverage to close them all the way.

From looking at the st croix website http://www.stcroixforge.com/products/products.html all the sizes from 1 to 3 of the same type, lite or regular, have the same width and thickness. They both are 3/4" wide and the lite is 5/16" thick and the regular is 3/8". I have no idea if this is the same for all the ones they ever made that are out there or what amount of variance there is between batches and such.

Just based upon that information it seems to me that you should have more leverage with a shoe that is longer but of equal width and thickness. So the 3 would be easiest and the 1 the toughest. Not sure if 3/8" number 3 would be harder than a 5/16" number 1 but this is like comparing a 5" x 1/4" square to a 7" bastard.

Also what is a polo? Is this a regular at 3/8" or something different?

And where do Diamonds fall in this spectrum?

Are there other big companies that make standard shoes other than these 2?

A St. Croix Lite #1 is not a beginners shoe!!! That's a real tough bend!!!

I'm no shoe expert but the general idea as I understand it is the smaller and thicker the shoe the harder it is BUT steel varies. You could end up with a Size 2 or 3 that is WAY harder than a tiny pony shoe despite the lack of leverage.

So long as it's a heart shape it's bent :rock All you need for an FBBC cert is to get the legs to 180 degrees, taking it into a heart is just more impressive and more fun to do because then you have an interesting conversation starter as opposed to an S :)

A polo, at least my polo's, are the same as the St. Croix Ultralites(easiest shoes) except that the polo is wider so it's slightly more akward and the inner rim is thicker than the outer rim so your bending a thicker piece of steel than the UL's.

If you can bend a Lite then you can bend a Diamond, I've never bent a Lite but I've heard they are about the same as Diamond Classic's because they sure look it.

There are alot of companies that make horseshoes, find a tractor supply store or a farm-oriented store that might have shoes and look around. A local Ferrier is probably the best place though.

It is probably an ultralite then, how can you tell the difference? All it has is a st croix forge and a 1 stamped in the back. I will try to get a picture of it soon.

It is probably an ultralite then, how can you tell the difference? All it has is a st croix forge and a 1 stamped in the back. I will try to get a picture of it soon.

Post a pic and I'll tell you. If it has seperate Rims it's probably an Ultralite but if it's solid it's a lite. I'm not sure if this makes sense but post a pic and I or Zach will tell you which it is.

One more thing Derek, there is a St Croix lite rim. It's easier than a lite but harder than a polo or diamond classic.

Tim

Also, I think 90 degrees is all you need for a legal FBBC cert.

Tim