• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• Teemu I

• jad

• acorn

Top Posters In This Topic

Closing a #3.5 doesn't mean that you are "close to closing the #4". Closer than if you are closing a #3, but still far. I can't even set the #4 properly. I know there's a ton of work that needs to be done to fix that. As the grippers get harder the progress comes slower. Even if you know you are doing all the right things it might take several weeks or months to notice anything happen. Going from #2 to #3 is a lot easier than to go from #3.5 to #4.

1/4" away from closing is way more on #4 than it is on a #3.

Will a new GR8 #4 cert ever happen?

It might be semantics, but I feel like the question needs to be "Will a CCS #4 cert ever happen?"

Yes.

GR8 or otherwise is irrelevant except that a new gripper must be used and new grippers have GR8 springs. I was also initially romanced by the shiny spring and was convinced it was harder. Our best measurement at this point are the folks who have tried many grippers and there seems to be a resounding concurrence that, in terms of difficultly to close, GR8 looks pretty and nothing more.

Closing a #3.5 doesn't mean that you are "close to closing the #4". Closer than if you are closing a #3, but still far. I can't even set the #4 properly. I know there's a ton of work that needs to be done to fix that. As the grippers get harder the progress comes slower. Even if you know you are doing all the right things it might take several weeks or months to notice anything happen. Going from #2 to #3 is a lot easier than to go from #3.5 to #4.

1/4" away from closing is way more on #4 than it is on a #3.

Agree with Teemu on this one - it takes a lot more than talk to close a #4.

It might be semantics, but I feel like the question needs to be "Will a CCS #4 cert ever happen?"

Yes.

GR8 or otherwise is irrelevant except that a new gripper must be used and new grippers have GR8 springs. I was also initially romanced by the shiny spring and was convinced it was harder. Our best measurement at this point are the folks who have tried many grippers and there seems to be a resounding concurrence that, in terms of difficultly to close, GR8 looks pretty and nothing more.

Excactly! The whole "new grippers are harder"-idea needs to be forgotten. It is just coincidence that CCS-rule and GR8-springs came approximately same time.

Someone will cert on the #4 under the new rules eventually, I just don't have any idea who it might be, I'm thinking we'll know when it happens.

I have got a grd8 #4 to 1/8 inch or so before but it was just a hard #4. Not an insanely hard one. I verry much agree with what Bearcat74 and jad said about them. A cc-set of a grd8 #4 will be done in time.

The #3.5gripper that I Credit-Card closed was calibrated at 180 and has a 2.75 inch spread if anyone wanted to know.

I have got a grd8 #4 to 1/8 inch or so before but it was just a hard #4. Not an insanely hard one. I verry much agree with what Bearcat74 and jad said about them. A cc-set of a grd8 #4 will be done in time.

The #3.5gripper that I Credit-Card closed was calibrated at 180 and has a 2.75 inch spread if anyone wanted to know.

What does 180lbs rate at according to the RGC(3.4, 3.6....)

Unreal crushing power there, keep it up.

180 is equal to 3.51

From Dave and Gregs blog.

Surprisingly the 3.5s all were around 182.5 pounds +/- 2.5 pounds. Only one gripper was 190.

#3.5 (5 grippers calibrated)

Average 182.5 3.56

Low 180 3.52

High 190 3.69

Edited by patrick

180 is equal to 3.51

How the calculation was done?

Thanks

180 is equal to 3.51

How the calculation was done?

Thanks

3.00 = 150

4.00 = 209

difference is 59#

to calculate on #3 scale

180 (calibration of said gripper) - 150 (3.00) = 30

30/59 = 3.51 based on Greg and Daves RGC Scale

- Aaron

i dont know if the year makes a difference cuss i dont have old grippers, i think all my grippers have gr8 springs - i do have video of getting it to 1/8 an holding it shut, but ill wait till i close it. I think im most likely capable of closing it now just needs to be right day at the right time with fresh hands.

As far as ccs goes im sure i can do my 3.5 now an #4 is simply months away after i close it with a deeper set - the cert is nowhere near impossible an there should be several people certing in time

So are most people here of the opinion that a GR8 #4 cert will never be done? I think it will be done someday but it's going to take a beast to do it.

Also who at the moment is closest to it?

Same as with any gripper event; my money is on Dave Morton

No kidding.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?&au...si&img=2413

It might be semantics, but I feel like the question needs to be "Will a CCS #4 cert ever happen?"Yes. GR8 or otherwise is irrelevant except that a new gripper must be used and new grippers have GR8 springs. I was also initially romanced by the shiny spring and was convinced it was harder. Our best measurement at this point are the folks who have tried many grippers and there seems to be a resounding concurrence that, in terms of difficultly to close, GR8 looks pretty and nothing more.
Excactly! The whole "new grippers are harder"-idea needs to be forgotten. It is just coincidence that CCS-rule and GR8-springs came approximately same time.Someone will cert on the #4 under the new rules eventually, I just don't have any idea who it might be, I'm thinking we'll know when it happens.
I've not tried ANY #4 so I'm not qualified to judge how hard old and new ones are. The reason I'm thinking GR8 #4's are harder is because nearly every video I've seen of people closing them are done on an old #4. Is this just coincidence? I'm sure most of the guys that have posted their #4 close and attempts have a new GR8 they clould have filmed??? Like I said, maybe this is just a coincedence??I just thought it'd be interesting to see the boards top guys attempts at a new #4 ccs cert, just to find out just who's nearest and how much harder than the #3.5 it is. Like I said before, I've still not got my #3 handles touching so talking about #3.5's and #4's just seems like it's insanly hard. Visual examples of how people are doing on these grippers is a far better way to learn about them and how hard they are. Plus-DON'T WE ALL LOVE WATCHING #4 VIDS? :rock:rock
i dont know if the year makes a difference cuss i dont have old grippers, i think all my grippers have gr8 springs - i do have video of getting it to 1/8 an holding it shut, but ill wait till i close it. I think im most likely capable of closing it now just needs to be right day at the right time with fresh hands. As far as ccs goes im sure i can do my 3.5 now an #4 is simply months away after i close it with a deeper set - the cert is nowhere near impossible an there should be several people certing in time
Be great to see these videos Viper, your last vids were impressive so If you've improved this much it'll be great to see :rock

So are most people here of the opinion that a GR8 #4 cert will never be done? I think it will be done someday but it's going to take a beast to do it.

Also who at the moment is closest to it?

Same as with any gripper event; my money is on Dave Morton

No kidding.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?&au...si&img=2413

Eeep

lloyd80s: On the first post of this topic you referred to me, I have two #4 videos on the youtube, other one is just a pathetic attempt to hold it closed and the other a choker close. The #4 on both videos is a GR8. I don't see much point posting a CCS attempt as it just is miles away. Same goes to anyone even though there are a couple of guys beeing closer on their #4's. MMS close on a gripper doesn't mean that you are close to closing it CCS.

Many strong guys have been at their peak before but lost most of their interest. Regardless of the #4's and their production years, there aren't that many guys around closing them as there probably was a few years ago. Most of the #4 close videos (actual closes) are from pre 2005. It doesn't prove anything about the difficulty of the new, shiny springs. It has more to do with the fact that people saw #4 cert as more doable back when it was done with 1" rule. Many got frustrated because the rules changed. As far as I know nobody has complained about the #3 or #4 cert becoming much more difficult because of "those shiny new springs". ;)

Calibration data clearly proves that while there some monster #4's there are relatively easy ones too.

Edited by Teemu I

I agree. The "new shiny springs" has nothing to with how the gripper is hard or easy.

lloyd80s: On the first post of this topic you referred to me, I have two #4 videos on the youtube, other one is just a pathetic attempt to hold it closed and the other a choker close. The #4 on both videos is a GR8. I don't see much point posting a CCS attempt as it just is miles away. Same goes to anyone even though there are a couple of guys beeing closer on their #4's. MMS close on a gripper doesn't mean that you are close to closing it CCS.

Many strong guys have been at their peak before but lost most of their interest. Regardless of the #4's and their production years, there aren't that many guys around closing them as there probably was a few years ago. Most of the #4 close videos (actual closes) are from pre 2005. It doesn't prove anything about the difficulty of the new, shiny springs. It has more to do with the fact that people saw #4 cert as more doable back when it was done with 1" rule. Many got frustrated because the rules changed. As far as I know nobody has complained about the #3 or #4 cert becoming much more difficult because of "those shiny new springs". ;)

Calibration data clearly proves that while there some monster #4's there are relatively easy ones too.

Ok Temmu, so are you saying as far as you no there's nobody about CCS cert on a #4 any time soon?

I just thought seeing Clays close, Dave's reps, Wes and your choked closes, plus many others on you tube, that somebody must be close to a new CCS #4 cert?

I think I'm just way off the mark because I thought that if people were closing #3.5's all the time, then they must be close to the #4.

As many of you have said, being able to close a #3.5 doesn't mean your anywhere near the #4. It's just makes me think just how hard the #4 must be!!

Ok Temmu, so are you saying as far as you no there's nobody about CCS cert on a #4 any time soon?

I just thought seeing Clays close, Dave's reps, Wes and your choked closes, plus many others on you tube, that somebody must be close to a new CCS #4 cert?

I think I'm just way off the mark because I thought that if people were closing #3.5's all the time, then they must be close to the #4.

As many of you have said, being able to close a #3.5 doesn't mean your anywhere near the #4. It's just makes me think just how hard the #4 must be!!

As far as I know, nobody's close.

Clay's one of those that lost their interest and moved on to other things.

Correct. #3.5 is still miles away from the #4.

Also I don't see any reason for Dave to post any #4 close videos, he's done reps on the video and it's hard to beat that. Also he's certed already so why bother with the CCS, unless it's going to be the set used in some competition?

#4's are hard.

Edited by Teemu I

The difference between a parallel close and a credit card close with grippers that strong is phenomenal though. A || set is around .75'' and a credit card is AT LEAST 2.125''. I say at least because that's the minimum amount of space the card would be able to fit through and you'd probably have to open it up more if you were in a hurry to get it through.

Judging by videos seen or things witnessed by people, who would you say would get the #4 closest to closed from a TNS right now? (repeat: closes to closed, even if you think it can only be gotten to 1 inch between the handles in this manner and by Godzilla).

Morton certified with a parallel set didn't he? And even if he did 3-4 reps, they seemed to open to half an inch. That's totally different from a CCS or TNS. I think the most impressive video of a TNS that I've seen is Tommy's BBSE with the 2.5" spread. It's still a BBSE. And GarytheDyno said that at the AOBS dinner, after a lot of things he did (potatoes, etc), he got his #3.5 to a hair with a TNS. Surely fresh for fresh he would've gotten it, wouldn't you say? I think if he would set his mind, he'd CCS a #4 !! But he's also certed and probably no reason to go after that. But to me he's the best with big sets. Not to take anything away from Big Dave Morton, but if you read his logs in gripperhell, he does pretty much only parallel reps? So we have no idea how strong is his CCS? Do you guys think if someone is closing a #4 from a 3/4" set, it means they can CCS an avg. #3.5? Keeping in mind CCS is nearly THREE TIMES the 3/4" most people refer to as parallel.

Judging by videos seen or things witnessed by people, who would you say would get the #4 closest to closed from a TNS right now? (repeat: closes to closed, even if you think it can only be gotten to 1 inch between the handles in this manner and by Godzilla).

Morton certified with a parallel set didn't he? And even if he did 3-4 reps, they seemed to open to half an inch. That's totally different from a CCS or TNS. I think the most impressive video of a TNS that I've seen is Tommy's BBSE with the 2.5" spread. It's still a BBSE. And GarytheDyno said that at the AOBS dinner, after a lot of things he did (potatoes, etc), he got his #3.5 to a hair with a TNS. Surely fresh for fresh he would've gotten it, wouldn't you say? I think if he would set his mind, he'd CCS a #4 !! But he's also certed and probably no reason to go after that. But to me he's the best with big sets. Not to take anything away from Big Dave Morton, but if you read his logs in gripperhell, he does pretty much only parallel reps? So we have no idea how strong is his CCS? Do you guys think if someone is closing a #4 from a 3/4" set, it means they can CCS an avg. #3.5? Keeping in mind CCS is nearly THREE TIMES the 3/4" most people refer to as parallel.

The answer is simple. Judging by videos seen Joe Kinney is the best.