My Quest For Re Certification On Ironmind#3

1stCoC

What happened in 2001ish and before is people starting talking and exchanging information. A little known internet discussion board was growing. :) Terms like set, overcrush, negative crush, and more were born. A bet lot of grippers were sold during this time period. I would bet moreso than any other period if I was to guess. So, I wouldn't necessarily call it lowered standards because no one thought it was at the time I guarantee you that. But it was a period of enlightenment and it wasn't until the data started gathering over a period of a few years that the rule change was made to make it a more elite accomplishment grip wise again.

I also think the credit card should be dropped in the COC cert. It seems to be more of a trick to get it set right and stick it in there between the handles. Why not just change the rule to no-set?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1stCoC

• Bill Piche

• twig

• Florian Kellersmann

I hate to be the one who asks this but I will, what happens if you fail on your #3 cert, or anybody for that matter trying to re-cert?

Just a question I had hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Edited by PowerHouse

I hate to be the one who asks this but I will, what happens if you fail on your #3 cert, or anybody for that matter trying to re-cert?

Just a question I had hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Just my opinion but nothing happens. He still certed under the rules of the time back then. If he fails to recert now under the new rules, it takes nothing away from what he accomplished before.

Personally, I wish Ironmind would have kept the rules the same and not made the grippers easier. That is what killed the cert process.

If the grippers were the same as they were Richard was mashing back when he first started, you could cut probably 2/3-3/4 of the people off the list. Me included.

In any case, congratulations Richard!

All the older #3's are harder then the #3's today? How much harder are they? Since I have never touched a sliver crush #3 are they more like an elite or even harder then that?

Edit: This is me just talking out of my ass but I thought the old #3's were just very inconstant and you could have some monsters of a 3 and also could have easy ones. So on average they are harder then new #3s?

Edited by PowerHouse

All the older #3's are harder then the #3's today? How much harder are they? Since I have never touched a sliver crush #3 are they more like an elite or even harder then that?

Edit: This is me just talking out of my ass but I thought the old #3's were just very inconstant and you could have some monsters of a 3 and also could have easy ones. So on average they are harder then new #3s?

Seems all the #3s post steel-handled silver crush vary, and from reading various threads over the past year opinions and experiences differ as to whether GR8s are harder than 2005 or earlier.

What is absolutely beyond doubt though is that the Silver Crush #3 is WAY harder, maybe #3.5 or more. Probably due to the .283 spring (vs .281 for current #3s if memory serves) and the ridiculously wide spread. (I know because I have a SC #3 with the chrome spring and steel handles)

Mr. Sorin having no-setted the Silver Crush #3 with two fingers is an outrageous feat IMO.

I have had my hands on one steel handled IM3. Also, I have the silver elite, which I have heard is about the same as the old silver crush grippers. My best guess is that they were closer to a 3.5 than a current 3.

Just an update, I just finished my 10th grip workout towards #3 re-certificatin despite a sore thumb for the past 4 days I did no set closes (which seem better for me than credit card) up to 3 reps from full open with pause between at #2.5. Using a new #3 out of the package I got 3 singles down to 3/16 with a table no set. Things are going well toward my goal. I think closing grippers has a lot to do with technique and finger feel as much as brute strength. I am pleased with my training results.....RS

:rock

Guys, The last posts I think are seen through clear eyes...The process of Ironmind gripper evolution was I think always well intended but inherent variables of manufacturers, material, spring dies, assembly, and precieved rules did allow for bumps along the way. It almost "scares" me to think about closing the old silver crush #3 they were/are bears! (I think the feel of any of my 16 year old Silvercrush #3s rival the new 3.5. which hangs but a foot or two apart on our grip display) The present #3s are very well finished, uniform in size, and feel good.The polished spring doesnt drag or creak like several I have from 04-06. I think the these grippers are the most uniform produced to date. RS

So it might not be that the grippers are now made to be "easier" so much as the production quality is higher so that they simply "work better" and thus are easier to close?

So it might not be that the grippers are now made to be "easier" so much as the production quality is higher so that they simply "work better" and thus are easier to close?

I really don't believe they were ever purposely "made easier" just the variables mentioned did allow for "runs", groups, ect over the years have their highs and low points. Hindsight is always 20/20 and IF from the start Dr Strossen knew what that this "simple" strength tool would be used for and the seriousness attached the evolution (and probably the price) would have changed quite a bit. It IS"The best 20 bucks I ever spent", I don't know how much more "we" can expect other than the continued production of a great product in a forthright manner.RS

• 4 weeks later...

It was said in history "The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart" Yesterday following a string of good workouts and at a peak point I was tested for #3 Ironmind credit card certification. I tried my best and under the close scrutiny of the great judge Will Millman the light between the handles disappeared but not enough. The statement was given as the gap "less than the thickness of paper". With 7 more tries at below 1/8" I decided to end the day. The group support and as my son said "the passion" was most important to him. I will train on further and when ready, try again. My thanks to the judge Mr Millman,Dr Strossen for the opportunity, and having the health and will to try again. I am not saddened by my failure... only inspired. Respectfully, Richard Sorin

It was said in history "The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart" Yesterday following a string of good workouts and at a peak point I was tested for #3 Ironmind credit card certification. I tried my best and under the close scrutiny of the great judge Will Millman the light between the handles disappeared but not enough. The statement was given as the gap "less than the thickness of paper". With 7 more tries at below 1/8" I decided to end the day. The group support and as my son said "the passion" was most important to him. I will train on further and when ready, try again. My thanks to the judge Mr Millman,Dr Strossen for the opportunity, and having the health and will to try again. I am not saddened by my failure... only inspired. Respectfully, Richard Sorin

Before I joined the Gripboard I had no idea who you were, and why you were held in such high regarde. It's posts like that, that have made me realise why others do, and why I should, respect and admire you.

Next time, no doubt.

I admire you putting it all on the line again, Richard. And congratulations on a brave effort!

So frustrating coming so close and ending up so far away from the goal. I must say again, BIG respect due to you Richard. Plenty of strong guys on that #3 list prior to the CCS rule and as yet you stand alone being strong enough in mind and body to re-certify knowing full well that you have nothing to prove, but also knowing you wont be satisfied until you CCS that #3. Not for anyone else, for you. BIG respect due indeed.

You'll get it next time I'm certain!

Richard,

I have no doubt you will nail the #3 down next time. :rock

Great attempt, very close. I'm sure you'll get it next time!!

Richard, I know that situation exactly :cool You will get it next time

The judge was the best.. a fair man, national powerlifting ref that had to drive a couple of hundred miles to be here.The gripper was brand new out of the package with no prior squeeze until my first attempt..pristine. I could not see the #3 handles... the crowd gasped, all smiled... and then there was a "silence" and the quiet, stern, "no" was spoken. This man was a quality control supervisor in in the textile industry and has an eye for detail you must respect. Yesterday an artist who used a 10 megapixil camera with a German Zeiss lens blew the picture up to 32"x54" then cropped down to my then basketball sized hand. He shook his head and said for two hours he looked at this and he still can't tell. The blown up copy serves as a constant reminder to me to try harder.I prefer to go undisputed 100% with the judge and honor what he saw. I am not done. I look to the sweet victory ahead.RS

The judge was the best.. a fair man, national powerlifting ref that had to drive a couple of hundred miles to be here.The gripper was brand new out of the package with no prior squeeze until my first attempt..pristine. I could not see the #3 handles... the crowd gasped, all smiled... and then there was a "silence" and the quiet, stern, "no" was spoken. This man was a quality control supervisor in in the textile industry and has an eye for detail you must respect. Yesterday an artist who used a 10 megapixil camera with a German Zeiss lens blew the picture up to 32"x54" then cropped down to my then basketball sized hand. He shook his head and said for two hours he looked at this and he still can't tell. The blown up copy serves as a constant reminder to me to try harder.I prefer to go undisputed 100% with the judge and honor what he saw. I am not done. I look to the sweet victory ahead.RS

You're an amazing guy, Mr. Sorin. Motivating and inspirational!

Stay motivated...you will get it for sure next time :rock

The blown up copy serves as a constant reminder to me to try harder.I prefer to go undisputed 100% with the judge and honor what he saw. I am not done. I look to the sweet victory ahead.RS

Richard, very inspirational and it took a lot of character and confidence to bring this to our attention. I feel like I learned something from you today.