Bending,ems And Tens Units.

gazza

For the past 12mths i have been useing both an EMS [electronic muscle stimilator] and a TENS [Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Unit] both have helped my bending and recovery greatly try it you will be pleasantly suprised.

These would probably help a sprained left forearm?

Brendan

Can I know what are these and where can I buy them (a drug store?)?

Alawadhi

T.E.N.S. is an acronym for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. With the development of modern medicine doctors and scientists have perfected the use of electric pulses to treat and eliminate pain. TENS units use electro frequency at about 80 to 90 MegaHertz. According to doctors and medical professionals the TENS device is the most highly effective treatments for pain relief. A TENS unit is a device that transmits small square electrical pulses to the electrodes, which transmit this electrical pulse to the underlying nerves. The fundamental components of a TENS unit are the electrodes, a highly advanced computer chip, and an electrical battery source. The small amount of electricity is transmitted through the computer component then to the electrodes, which transmits the electrical waveform to the underlying nerves. The user can personalize the pulse frequency, which is the strength of the electrical current given to the electrode. The strength of electric current is measured in megahertz. The user can also adjust how long each pulse width is. This pulsation effect gives a cycle of higher and lower electric wavelengths. This measurement between the wavelengths is measured in time by microseconds. The strength of the pulse and the width on duration of that pulse are the two main adjustments found on TENS units. Two more features that you can get on a TENS unit are settings for a burst mode and a modulation mode. A burst mode changes the time and duration of the pulse and makes a series of seven quick pulses followed by a rest. This cycle repeats itself two times every second. The modulation mode changes the time and duration of the pulse with but uses a combination of burst and the continuous features that were preset, (pulse strength and with). This setting is often used for long-term users to confuse the pain receptors in the brain so that it cannot learn to ignore these pain-relieving frequencies.

Electronic Muscle Stimulation (EMS) is the concept whereby electric impulses are used to contract muscles. EMS has been used in the field of medicine as therapy for muscle atrophy, as well as in many other conditions [1]. There has also been use in the field of personal care (where it is also known as electronic muscle toning) to help tone muscles, decrease body fat, as well as an adjunct to weight training. The efficacy of the devices for these uses has been debated[1] but a few home devices have survived some scientific scrutiny for their advertised uses[2]. EMS became popular in salons in the 1970s and home treatment units became increasingly popular during the early 1990s. Since the mid-1990s, wearable units in which EMS circuitry is contained in belt-like garments, neoprene shorts or other clothing items, have caused a significant growth in the EMS market. Most of these units are sold by mail order.

Recently the FTC has cracked down on consumer EMS devices that made unsubstantiated claims[3]; most have been removed from the market. Currently the only EMS device that has been cleared by the FDA for legal sale in the US is the Slendertone Flex, for toning, strengthening and firming abdominal muscles[4

One is for exercise the other is for injury/recovery but can be used for exercise.If you have a unit that does both then that should be fine.Heres what i have been doing with units.I take the EMS unit and an iso bar usually a plastic iso bar but a straight bastard etc will do i then sit infront of a mirror preferebaly in a quite room so there are no distractions i then turn off the light and just have a small lamp or torch lit to one side so you can see yourself in the mirror but the room is darkened[i bet you think i am a crank now lol] this has 2 effects it gets the mind ready to focus on bending and also helps to make the mind/focus stronger.What i do now is i get into position with just the iso bar wrapped and sit infront of the mirror i then assume the bending position a just ease into the iso bar nice a gently a few times and really consentrate on my form then i really start to push into the bar for a few secs back off and repeat if its with a plastic iso bar i let it flex for a few secs then relax so as i dont snap/bend the plastic iso bar if its a straight steel bar/stainless etc i ease into the bar and try and hold the isos for around 10secs then back off and repeat i do this 4-5 times till i am well warmed up and the mind is focused i then attach the EMS pads to my hands/wrists and forearms my EMS unit has 6pads i place 3 on each arm 1 on the back of each hand 1 on the back of each wrist and 1 on the back of each forearm sometimes you have to use elastic bands and tape to keep the pads on.Once these are in place i turn the machine on whilst my arms are hanging down against my side i then get the voltage just right so as the muscles can feel the current and are just abought to contract but not lock up then i assume the position in the mirror again and repeat the isos i did before for another 4-5 goes of 10secs hits really focus on holding the position and pushing into the bar for a good 10secs if the bar buckles then get heavier stock later on as you get into it and the mind becomes accustomed to what you are doing you can vary the voltage and iso bars and allso the length of the bars as well as the angle prekink etc.It takes a few goes to get into it as it feels weird at first but it has helped me enormously and anything that we first do feels strange dont let this put you off as you get good at it and start to get the mind into the zone you can just do it infront of the TV etc as the mind will be ready and know what to expect if you get it right its like a form of self hypnosis.The Tens unit i use also daily on my hands/wrists/forearms for active recovery just vary the frequency and length of time i also use this like i do the EMS unit with the iso bar its a little different and a change but works as well.

I also use them on my shoulders especially the TENS unit as bending really takes it out of my shoulders.

I feel that useing these units for the last 12mths has helped me to get to the piont were i could bend daily at a high level and still be able to do my daytime manual labour job without undue effects as i need my hands for work.

I use myself as my own experimental guinea pig and when i find out something that works i dont mind passing on the results unlike others who charge a premium for information which i feel is meant to be shared and has mostly been used or invented by others so why capitalise and make a fast buck off of that no thanks i dont feel comfy making money off of other peoples ideas.

Bruce Lee was useing a type of EMS unit long before i was and he and others like Zass were useing Isometrics long before i was the same with alot of bending styles not alot if anything is new its all been done in bending before just do your research.

You can buy EMS and TENS units separately or combined the units i use are separate and both used by the medical profession there are lots of different models and makes out there just type in EMS or TENS units into google and they come in lots of different price ranges from cheap to very expensive useing these has made me a better bender at 45 years of age when people think your over the hill at 40 plus and that you cannot recover properly or make gains without chemical help etc i have found something that has worked for me and i am nothing special just an average human being that likes to bend steel for a hobby just thought i would share my findings.

• Like 1

I've an old EMS unit I bought about 14 years ago, might have to dig it out and give it another go! Now where did I put...

Thanks a lot Gazza!

• 2 years later...

Does anybody else use EMS/TENS units? Do you guys have any experiance with it?

Gazza,

Is one of those units what they use to keep paralyzed people's legs sorta "in shape"? I remember watching Chris Reeve being on some kind of treadmill with electrodes on his legs that were basically moving his legs for him. Is that one of these?

Neat stuff that I'd like to experiment with. Can you get either of those without a prescription in the ol' USA? Is it dangerous at all to use one alone? I mean can you juice yourself too much to where you can't turn it off with your hands?

Later,

Tim

I have used this one http://www.lgmedsupply.com/tenz500.html . Seems to work ok on shoulders. I have 2 of them so I can get both shoulders at the same time. This was before you could buy one capable of 8 electrodes. I wipe the area down with alcohol before I put the electrodes on so it helps the pads to stick and last a bit longer. I also buy a discount quantity of pads, about 5 sets I think. I have never tried Gazzas' way, looks very interesting. :)

Gazza, do you put all neg on one side or how do you apply these pads?