New Scoring System

David Horne

Why can't we just use a system where the top 5, top 3 whatever get points and the rest don't. So 1st place gets 5, second 4, and so on. Whoever has the most points at the end wins. No coefficients, no calibrating, nothing. I do like the way the German system rewards excellence but it allows people to really run up the points and compensate for their weak events. It takes away from having to be an allaround gripster to win contests.

A good point jad, as I said - all have a pro' and con's

Let us compare both scoring systems:

Lifter1 - Lifter10

Lifter 1 close a #4 and get 100 points

Lifter 2 close a #2 and get 50 points

So Lifter1 was good in grippers and have a distance from 50 points to the next.

Now he loose in vbar against Lifter 2

Lifter 1 lifts in vbar 180K and Lifter 2 200K

Lifter 1 get 90 points; lifter 2 100.

Overall we have now:

Lifter 1: 190 points

Lifter 2: 150 points

You see, 40 points difference because Lifter 1 have the benefit from the outstanding gripper result.....

I think that is the point you mean.

So why not gave the 4 closer some more points? He IS stronger on it and its fair to gave him more points for an outstanding result in my eyes.

When we give 5 for 1st place the result is:

Lifter 1 - 5 points for grippers

Lifter 2 - 4 points for grippers

Lifter 2 - 5 points for vbar

Lifter 1 - 4 points for vbar

So each lifter have 9 points. Its "nearly" the same like the strongman system. Difference is that the highest point number wins, not the smallest!

And its VERY hard for athletes that are weaker in some events to come into the top5 or top3 placings!

To make it drastical:

Lifter 1 -5 place in all events in top 5 and earn points......6 - 10 never get a result.

Who is now 6th place, who 10th?

Thank you for the detailed reply Thorsten. As for knowing who placed 6-10: I don't really care. That's not a knock on guys that place lower, it's just that if I didn't place in the top 5 or top 3, or whatever was considered "placing", I wouldn't care but I'm pretty competitive. I believe you are only competing against the guys there the day of the contest, so if you take 2nd in an event you with a #2 close (1st =#4 close) you should get the same number of points as the second place guy who pulls a 160k vbar (1st=161k). You weren't as close to duplicating the 1st place performance as the vbar guy, BUT you did manage to beat all of the other competitors except for 1, just like the vbar guy, so you should get the same reward.

I'm not a strongman scoring fan. As I found out first-hand, you have one bad event and you're done because it adds so many points to your score. For example, finishing 20th on an event would add 20 points to your score. So in a 5 event contest, even if you got 1st in every other event the best you could hope for is 24 points. Someone could get 6th in one event, 5th in one event, 4th in one events, 3rd in two events, and 2nd in one event and still beat you, even though you beat this person on 4/5 events. Oh well, the promoters work their butts off for no money so I'm cool with whatever they choose to use that day just some things to keep in mind.

"I'm not a strongman scoring fan. As I found out first-hand, you have one bad event and you're done because it adds so many points to your score. For example, finishing 20th on an event would add 20 points to your score. So in a 5 event contest, even if you got 1st in every other event the best you could hope for is 24 points. Someone could get 6th in one event, 5th in one event, 4th in one events, 3rd in two events, and 2nd in one event and still beat you, even though you beat this person on 4/5 events. Oh well, the promoters work their butts off for no money so I'm cool with whatever they choose to use that day just some things to keep in mind."

Well if someone would have used their dominant hand maybe that would have never happenend. :whistel

Just kidding, you really impressed some people in that contest.

In the Australian Championship and the LGC competition we use a formula based on the average of the top 10 in Europe. This works well although the coefficient will change from one year to another. The strongman system was used for the first 10 or so LGC competition. Quick and easy but not always totally fair. The system suggested by Horne for the IG competition is also quick and easy. None of these scoring systems are perfect. They all have their strong and weak points.

• 2 weeks later...
As from now, in the UK we will be using a new scoring system.

Here's an imaginary contest.

Lifter A gets 145k

Lifter B gets 137.5

Lifter C gets 95k

Lifter D gets 88k

The top lift gets a 100 points. The formula for the rest is, their lift (lifter B = 137.5) x 100 divided by 145 (top lift) = 94.82

A question concerning the scoring for grippers...

Is it based on a scale of 1 to 4? Or is there a conversion to weight in kg's? For example, let's say the winner does a 3.6 right hand, and a 3.2 left hand, for a 6.8 equals 100 points. If someone squeezes a 2.9 and a 3.2 for a 6.2 total, does that mean they have a 93.94, or is it coverted to weight and it is different that that? As an absurd example, if someone squeezed a Trainer, that might be a .8, and someone closed a #4, so that would be a 4.0. Is the Trainer worth 20.0 points(.8 divided by 4 equals .2) or is it relating to some weight number someone has decided to use for the grippers? 40 kilos versus 125 kilos, for 32.0 points?

I am curious on this, as someone in my office who is around a 1.5 closer asked the question of me. I had no answer for him.

Hubgeezer

Yes you know how it works, but got the second lifters maths wrong.

Lifter 1. 3.6 and 3.2 = 6.8 = 100 pts.

Lifter 2. 2.9 and 3.2 = 6.1.

6.1 x 100 then divided by 6.8 (top lifters total) = 89.70 pts

David

Yes you know how it works, but got the second lifters maths wrong.

David

Okay, on a scale of 1 to 4. No "coefficients" literally, overt or implied.

Whoops on the math. I won't say what I do for a living.

Quick Question...

Whilst I am aware that due to their nature there is no acceptably accurate way to calibrate grippers in terms of poundages etc, and not wanting to get into co-efficients or varying grippers etc, is the 1-4 system described above for grippers a valid way to use the percentage scoring method, when compared to other weight-based events?

For instance, should a #2 close be worth 50% of a #4 close in the same way as a 50kg pinch is of a 100kg pinch?

This obviously links in to Hubgeezer's question, but I was thinking about this whilst walking home today.