Supermatches And Competitions

Nick McKinless

Supermatches  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Supermatches be counted as full competitions and World Records counted if calibrated plates are used?

• Yes
    • No

I guess another reason for my objection is allowing supermatches to count for world records increases the subjectivity of what can be allowed for a record. Creation of gray areas like this can lead to situations like what occurred regarding Gazza's 3/8" round stainless bend. With a strict set of criteria, there are no questions, no concerns over favoritism, and no debates over counting a lift with implied judgment upon the integrity of contest promoters or contestants.

Keep the rules simple and apply them strictly. It eliminates BS.

To be clear, I think the super matches are an excellent idea and provide a great exhibition opportunity for grip. Maybe they could count for the single lift world records if all criteria are met? I don't see how that would result in numbers higher than a single lift pinch contest or bending contest, and it would provide opportunity for the exhibition to break world records. Mikael, do you think that would still be skewed?

Single lift WR's for these supermatches would be fine with me.

...Obviously you don't actually own a list as such ands it would be the matter of a few seconds work to copy what you've done and start posting there. Imagine how stupid it would become if you updated a list and then immediately below someone else posted the alternate list.

That would probably be dealt with by the moderators. They are not stupid.

Of course not but assuming they would do anything if the majority of gripboard members were in favour of changes as opposed to the keeper of records being opposed to the same would be silly.

I haven't heard of such a thing happening as yet with actual record keeping amongst lifting feds but I have heard of infighting and political arguements at AGM's etc.

It's a poor assumption if you think a moderator would remove a post because you disagreed. I think a quick check of the current GB site rules supports my view. It would be easier to start another list naturally but only as it would upset you to do otherwise. Ultimately someones view will not tally with whatever the status quo is now or what it might become. The analogy of 'it's my ball and if you don't play by my rules I'm taking my ball with me and then no one plays' seems somehow appropiate. A federation is made up of its members as well as its (usually) elected representatives. You are / were in an unusual postion. The record keeper is usually just that, but you have been a creative element in rule setting as well (of the agreed three standard lifts least of all). Hence the current situation. I'd like to see you wearing 'one hat' as it were. It would resolve these matters in an instant.

Why do you worry about these top 50 lists? Just ignore them.

Of course not but assuming they would do anything if the majority of gripboard members were in favour of changes as opposed to the keeper of records being opposed to the same would be silly.

I haven't heard of such a thing happening as yet with actual record keeping amongst lifting feds but I have heard of infighting and political arguements at AGM's etc.

It's a poor assumption if you think a moderator would remove a post because you disagreed. I think a quick check of the current GB site rules supports my view. It would be easier to start another list naturally but only as it would upset you to do otherwise. Ultimately someones view will not tally with whatever the status quo is now or what it might become. The analogy of 'it's my ball and if you don't play by my rules I'm taking my ball with me and then no one plays' seems somehow appropiate. A federation is made up of its members as well as its (usually) elected representatives. You are / were in an unusual postion. The record keeper is usually just that, but you have been a creative element in rule setting as well (of the agreed three standard lifts least of all). Hence the current situation. I'd like to see you wearing 'one hat' as it were. It would resolve these matters in an instant.

You can all vote until you drop. Hell will freeze over before I change my mind on this. None of this two-some gayness in my lists thank you very much.

And there you have it. IMHO your list is BS. But i will still be trying my best to knock you off of it.

Edited by Mike Bety

Mikael agrees the supermatches should count for the single event record lists. That seems to be exactly what everyone is asking for. For example, here is the one for pinch, which was not pinned for whatever reason:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=18798

Really, the only problem that I see remaining is the plates for the supermatch were not calibrated this time so Theo's tremendous lift wouldn't be on such a list for v-bar. Actually, I don't think there's ever been a contest that would have created need for development of such a v-bar list.

Why do you worry about these top 50 lists? Just ignore them.

1/10 - please try harder.

I think it should have a minumum number of events. So like when Ben Edwards and I go head to head there would be like 8 events...or something.

:happy

Hahaha! :phone Child's play Matt. You know I'm a true volume slut. There would have to be at least 20 events and 3 different styles of bending just to pique my interest in a Supermatch...interested? Be careful though. This might be the kind of contest where you'd have to catheterize yourself and be on an IV drip just to have enough energy to make it through the day.

The extent of my bending is the 36" 3/8 that I put up here a few weeks ago...so give me a minute to try my hand. I was just use a number to make my point, really.

The idea spawned another thought in my head: It would be heavyweight vs. lightweight, I think, not sure on your size but I am 260...interesting dynamic! Especially since the lightweight would win :upsidedwn .

I think it should have a minumum number of events. So like when Ben Edwards and I go head to head there would be like 8 events...or something.

:happy

Hahaha! :phone Child's play Matt. You know I'm a true volume slut. There would have to be at least 20 events and 3 different styles of bending just to pique my interest in a Supermatch...interested? Be careful though. This might be the kind of contest where you'd have to catheterize yourself and be on an IV drip just to have enough energy to make it through the day.

The extent of my bending is the 36" 3/8 that I put up here a few weeks ago...so give me a minute to try my hand. I was just use a number to make my point, really.

The idea spawned another thought in my head: It would be heavyweight vs. lightweight, I think, not sure on your size but I am 260...interesting dynamic! Especially since the lightweight would win :upsidedwn .

You're very strong Matt. Especially if you made it into a strongman type contest where I'd be weak as a kitten. I'm more suited to the type of grip marathon session stuff that (IIRC) Nick McKinless did a while back. Although I'm way weaker than Nick is in pretty much everything.

My idea goes something like this:

#1) TNS Grippers. Both hands contested. 4 attempts per hand.

#2) CCS Grippers. Both hands contested. 4 attempts per hand.

#3) MMS Grippers. Both hands contested. 4 attempts per hand.

#4) 1" FBBC Vertical Bar. Both hands contested. 4 attempts per hand.

#5) 2" Vbar. Could use the Ironmind loading pin. Both hands contested. 4 attempts per hand

#6) DO Bending. 4 attempts.

#7) DU Bending. 4 attempts.

#8) Reverse Bending. 4 attempts.

#9) Slim Style Bending. 4 attempts.

#10) Behind The Back Bending. 4 attempts.

#11) Braced Bending. 4 attempts.

#12) Underwater Bending. Consists of holding your breath and submerging yourself completely in a pool and then bending whatever you can in the short time that you can hold your breath. Yeah, I've considered actually doing this. I need another hobby. 4 attempts.

#13) Seated Bending. Have to remain seated the entire bend but can use any style. 4 attempts.

#14) Lying On The Floor Bending. Name says it all. Must remain lying on the floor the entire time. I've done a Big Bastard this way. Much harder. 4 attempts.

#15) Unicycle Bending. Now I'm just screwing with you. 4 attempts though.

#16) Double Overhand Axle Deadlift. 4 attempts.

#17) One Hand Axle Deadlift. 4 attempts.

#18) One Hand Olympic Bar Deadlift (no hook). 4 attempts.

#19) One Hand Thumbless Grip Olympic Bar Deadlift. 4 attempts.

#20) Reverse Curl. 4 attempts.

#21) Axle Reverse Curl. 4 attempts.

#22) 2 Hand Axle Snatch. 4 attempts.

#23) 2 Hand Axle Clean & Jerk. 4 attempts.

#24) 1 Hand Axle Snatch. 4 attempts.

#25) 2" Dumbbell Deadlift. 4 attempts.

There you have it. A comprehensive test of mental fortitude mainly. With a bit of grip thrown in. I even included a few power movements so you could butcher me. When/if I become rich I will fly you out here and see if I can talk you into this Supermatch to end all Supermatches.

Damn. I totally forgot pinching. Well, continued then:

#26) 2 Hand Pinch. Whatever width you want. Heaviest lift that is pulled at least 16.5" wins. 4 attempts.

#27) 1 Hand Pinch. Both hands contested. Max weight with (2) 35s and a loading pin through the middle. 4 attempts.

#28) 1 Hand Pinch again. Both hands contested. Max weight with (5) 10s and a loading pin through the middle. 4 attempts.

#29) York Blobs. Heaviest lift to a 24" platform wins. Both hands contested. 4 attempts.

#30) Hub Lift. Heaviest lift that is pulled at least 16.5" wins. Both hands contested. 4 attempts.

#31) Repeat the entire order of events to settle any possible ties.

#32) Have someone call an ambulance since our fingers don't work any more.

Ben, LMAO!

underwater bending, hehehe. I wonder what I could use for wraps on that, I don't think the IM wraps would hold chalk very well under water.

That actually sounds like a really fun (2 straight day and night) comp, sign me up.

- Aaron

Ben, LMAO!

underwater bending, hehehe. I wonder what I could use for wraps on that, I don't think the IM wraps would hold chalk very well under water.

That actually sounds like a really fun (2 straight day and night) comp, sign me up.

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I'll consider your entry fee already paid. Entry is free technically since you'll need the money you would have spent on an entry to buy tylenol and a hospital stay. I figured you'd be really good at the Unicycle Bending too. I've already started practicing.

Looking at it...honestly...other than the volume, wouldn't be to uneven. I've almost locked out 315 axle clean and jerk, you've bent close to everything; Blobs are no prob for me, your gripper strength is out of my league.

Also, you're nuts.

Ben, LMAO!

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I'll consider your entry fee already paid. Entry is free technically since you'll need the money you would have spent on an entry to buy tylenol and a hospital stay. I figured you'd be really good at the Unicycle Bending too. I've already started practicing.

Hehehe, Bear on a Unicycle and bending too. thats what it will look like. :whistel:tongue

How about adding Bending upside down in gravity boots? 4 attempts

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

The underwater bending idea is hilarious, but it would take out all the fun... just imagine gazza's grunting underwater, would we still be able to hear it?? :)

You know I will have to try the underwater bending now Ben. Thanks alot. I bet I can do a red under water before my breath runs out. :tongue

- Aaron