Is V-bar Worth Training Regulary?

tukkergrip

v-bar  

59 members have voted

1. 1. is v-bar worth training regulary?

• yes
    • no

I like the v bar but wont go high volume, I like it as a test of hand strength,I have seenb crossover to the rolling thunder in my PERSONAL situation

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• austinslater

• deaner

For those that don't think that vbar is a good test of hand strength, what is it then? I'm not using mindpower to lift 300+. I'm using my grip. It's just another way to test and improve grip strength. It's a specific type, of course, but so are the grippers and a bunch of other stuff we love to train. But saying that it is not a test of hand strength seems pretty crazy to me. I might just like it because I've gotten decent at it, but I've always thought that if you pull the vbar with your hands, then it's very grip strength oriented. No question about it.

V-bar - I don't particularly like it (well actually I don't like it at all) but it's certainly a test of hand strength. And if it's a valid test it follows that it would be a valuable training tool to develop hand strength to some degree. It has a certain amount of skill that needs worked - it also demands a higher pain tolerance than most events and certainly some skin and finger flesh toughness is critical. It requires significant overall body strength if you want to go to the higher levels that are being done now. It does bother my back some and I have to be careful with it but by working both sides, it's been manageable so far. I personally don't seem to get a lot of carry over to other lifts from it. For me at least, any isometric type event only carries over to sizes that are very close to what I am working. It's another grip test - if all you guys would all quit training it, maybe I could come out better in the contests :whistel . Well I suppose I would have to train it before that would help :tongue

done

For me this is true. I've never done large volume training with the v-bar and I will never do it.

For me is OK though, if YOU train the v-bar until your hands are strong enough to pinch 2x45 pound York discs, to lift the Inch and to close a SE or a #4 :online

I would not be surprised if I could pinch two York 45's already. I am good at wide pinching; must be all that vbar lifting. :kiss

Would be very nice to see a video of that! :rock

In my opinion it's much more spectacular to pinch 2x45# plates than to lift a huge weight on the vbar. The vbar is my strongest event at the moment but I don't like it because I can't see any carry over effects. If You want to be good in vbar - train it. If You would like to have strong hands - train heavy support, fatbar and pinch (and do some squatting before breakfast)! :rock

Do you have strong hands? If not, maybe you need to re-evaluate your theories. Vbar lifting at extreme levels builds a toughness in the hands that few, if any, other grip lifts do. I think it is helping me keeping up with the other top reverse benders in spite of using hopelessly worn out tea towels. I believe it adds to overall wrist strength. I am not talking about doing a few singles every week or so but high volume repping.

I am strong at really wide pinching without training it and without having huge hands. Explain that if you wish. As explained earlier I think our knowledge base on cross-over effects of the various grip feats is limited to say the least. I have done far more vbar lifting than you Burkhard and I suspect that it has cross-over gains to other grip exercises. You have done much less and your level of confidence of its uselessness is high it seems. One could argue that the more you know about any particular area of grip the more you realise how little you know.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

As for cross-over, well, I don't really buy into the idea that training one particular grip exercise will make you strong in another (except maybe wrist work and bending). As a rule of thumb it's probably just better to train on the lifts that you want to improve on. Anybody that wants to pinch 2 45’s should do some pinching.

I think you are wrong to some degree Jim. I believe it was my well rounded grip that allowed me to lift the 50blob without tilt the first day I ever saw a blob of any kind. I believe it was my high volume allround approach to grip training that allowed me to not only lift it once but many, many times on that day.

I don't train V-Bar because I hurt my shoulder before hand. I got up to like 210 and then my hurt shoulder started to give me a lot of problems. And I don't want to get really good with my other arm because I always have to be balanced (like a OCD). Do you think getting a 2" Vbar would be good? It would definitly bring my numbers down greatly. So would that be a good v-bar/pinch device?

I think v-bar is test of hand toughness, as well as hand strength.

The guy that hurt your shoulder - I had a pair of v-bars made up for me by Climber511 that support doing it two handed on a barbell. I found that was easier on my shoulders and back. To a large extent, it resolves the issues I have with the uneven loading. You can read about it here:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...411&hl=vbar

Still hurts though. If I ever decide to train the event again, I will rely upon the two handed setup.

The shoulders are always going to get some punishment if you are really into grip as there are many more-or-less heavy one hand lifts (e.g., vbar, one hand lift, one hand deadlift, Inch lift etc.).

I have done far more vbar lifting than you Burkhard....

Why do You care about my vbar training? That's interesting... :dry

... and I suspect that it has cross-over gains to other grip exercises.

I respect Your personal opinion and You know that!

Mikael you demand respect from everyone else and then belittle them whenever the oppurtunity arises.

I think its an ok test of grip strength but probably below other lifts like thick bar, pinch etc. and relies more on hand toughness then some of the other lifts as well. Although I havent done as much vbar work as you so my opinion is probably worthless.

Can a guy get a strong grip from training vbar exclusively? I would say yes but I dont think its going to carryover much to grippers, bending, thickbar, pinch etc. I still like the idea of a 2" vbar much better but that is just my opinion. . .

Mikael you demand respect from everyone else and then belittle them whenever the oppurtunity arises.

A slight exaggeration. I would be very busy indeed if I had to belittle all of the 6000 odd members of the board, especially if I had to belittle each and everyone in separate posts.

I think its an ok test of grip strength but probably below other lifts like thick bar, pinch etc. and relies more on hand toughness then some of the other lifts as well. Although I havent done as much vbar work as you so my opinion is probably worthless.

Can a guy get a strong grip from training vbar exclusively? I would say yes but I dont think its going to carryover much to grippers, bending, thickbar, pinch etc. I still like the idea of a 2" vbar much better but that is just my opinion. . .

It's OPPORTUNITY and I saw little or no belittling by Mikeal in this thread. Not that has hasn't lacked the social grace needed in the past but not so much this time. As for hand toughness I have very little thick skin and no callouses etc on my hands. Yet have a half decent V-Bar to my name. I have torn my hands up when I train the lift but I commonly get flakes of skin roughed off when doing other grip lifts - even grippers ie: anything above a 3. It is, to me, par for the course - a price I pay.

Edited by mobsterone

Mob I disagree he talked down to Burkhard Macht and others in this thread. In fact just about every thread he is involved in turns out this way. Is his opinion the only one thats ever valid?

Something I have seen nowhere.

In my case, Vbar training may have helped my Rolling Thunder max.

I got a FBBC Vbar during the Summer of 2005. At that time, my PR in the RT was 197. One year later my PR in the RT was 209. I am age 52, so there is not a lot of room for upward improvement in the RT. I have been working with the Rolling Thunder for 6 years. During the previous 5 years combined, my RT PR went up 22 pounds, so 12 addtional pounds in one year is huge. I could be wrong, but I did not have many other training variables that were different from previous years, except having added Vbar to training. The only other thing done differently was increased intensity with Trapbar Deadlifts. I had been doing them for one year prior to getting a Vbar. I had thought that it was the Trapbar Deadlifts that had translated into higher RT numbers for me, but now I am thinking that it may be doing Vbar deadlifts (75% of 1RM for 3-4 reps) that I do as hand-toughening exercises.

One of those two exercises did it, or a combination of the two of them.

Hubgeezer