Hidden Strength

Deano

Isn't it kinda odd that someone who have never touched grippers before figure out to use a set and manage to set the coc#3 on the first attempt? Maybe he got a hidden drawer full of grippers somewhere :D.

Being an engineer i don't think it'd be very hard for him to work out how best to place it in his hand or where to hold the handles and how to best manipulate it to get a good hold. Nothing odd. Only the dumb people that try my grippers can't understand simple things like holding their hands at the bottom of the handles.

Your dad has an 8 1/2" hand (while missing the top of his longest finger), and you have 6 1/2" hands? Talk about the acorn falling far from the tree!

Being able to hold the gripper with the second (for most people) joint of his finger, but still at the same length as a big handed man would seem to me to give him alot of leverage - similar to a very deep set.

thats weird but happens, for example, my fathers hand top at tiny bit over 9" (estimate) and mine are barely 7" .... so, fine example of what decades of manual labor do...

Your extremities never stop growing, feet, hands, nose, and down low.

Deano,

Great story, you should very proud of your dad.

Is this true?

lol its what Ive always heard.

I don't think I want my nose to be always growing!!!

Your dad has an 8 1/2" hand (while missing the top of his longest finger), and you have 6 1/2" hands? Talk about the acorn falling far from the tree!

Being able to hold the gripper with the second (for most people) joint of his finger, but still at the same length as a big handed man would seem to me to give him alot of leverage - similar to a very deep set.

.... so, fine example of what decades of manual labor do...

thats not true either is it? i mean hands dont grow from it?!

Is this true?

I don't think grow is the correct term. I believe "remodeling" would be the term you want to use. Throughout the adult life, the human body, most specifically the bones, are capable of change depending on changes in muscle mass, weight, exercise activity, etc. If you were to put on 80 lbs of muscle or fat for that matter your hip girdle would widen. If you were to expose yourself to a massive amount physical stress to the hands they would thicken. All of these changes are not huge, but they do occur. Of course the opposite can occur. If you have almost no physical activity and lose 50 lbs of muscle it is very likely your bone density will decrease.

The difference in size between my hands and my fathers is indeed vey big, he is slightly taller than me and a great deal heavier. The interesting thing, is when examined carefully, our hands are almost identical (except, obviously, for the size and missing top sections on his right hand). The folds of skin are very similar, the shape of the nails, our index fingers turn in very slightly and the formation of skin around the joints is again very similar. Even when you look at our palms the story is the same. In fact our general build is very similar, just on a completely different scale. In most other ways I am usually stronger, and in everyway much, much fitter. But his hand and arm strength is utterly fearsome.

He says he has always had a strong grip, but never really thought about it. Just considered it useful in his job.

He is currently downstairs playing with his 7 month old grandson. There was a moment when the baby put a hand over the top of my dads hands, and everybody did a doubletake. Amazing to think that we all grow from these dimensions.

Is this true?

I don't think grow is the correct term. I believe "remodeling" would be the term you want to use. Throughout the adult life, the human body, most specifically the bones, are capable of change depending on changes in muscle mass, weight, exercise activity, etc. If you were to put on 80 lbs of muscle or fat for that matter your hip girdle would widen. If you were to expose yourself to a massive amount physical stress to the hands they would thicken. All of these changes are not huge, but they do occur. Of course the opposite can occur. If you have almost no physical activity and lose 50 lbs of muscle it is very likely your bone density will decrease.

AFAIK bone growth stops at 20 years old but they still thicken, reform and adapt untill youre around 30-40.. ofcourse, the amount of stress and intensity of it affects greatly the development. And human body also adapts when theres demand for it...

Bone density will fluctuate, yes. Bone length, no.

Length probably shouldn't change unless something weird is happening. But density and even thickness can change. The hip girdle definitely can grow with an increase in weight at almost anytime in your adult life with proper nutrition. I believe the bones in your hand can also grow in thickness although it is so slow and the changes are so minimal it is hard to measure for just a normal person.

Being an engineer i don't think it'd be very hard for him to work out how best to place it in his hand or where to hold the handles and how to best manipulate it to get a good hold. Nothing odd. Only the dumb people that try my grippers can't understand simple things like holding their hands at the bottom of the handles.

Setting the grippers was easy for me and pretty much any1 else in my family trying them. Most friends also.

But I guess being an engineer makes that easy to figure out :P

Length probably shouldn't change unless something weird is happening. But density and even thickness can change. The hip girdle definitely can grow with an increase in weight at almost anytime in your adult life with proper nutrition. I believe the bones in your hand can also grow in thickness although it is so slow and the changes are so minimal it is hard to measure for just a normal person.

Yes, once our growth plates ossify, they wont change in length, but, they will widen if they grow any more, and density is always changing.

Setting the grippers was easy for me and pretty much any1 else in my family trying them. Most friends also.

But I guess being an engineer makes that easy to figure out :P

Yes, once our growth plates ossify, they wont change in length, but, they will widen if they grow any more, and density is always changing.

Do you think gripping at a younger age would make are bones grow longer than if we had not done grip training?

Do you think gripping at a younger age would make are bones grow longer than if we had not done grip training?

I have no clue, theres lots of weightlifters with proper form that it doesn't stunt growth, but grippers don't weigh down or push down on the body, diff kind of stress. Lots of gymnasts are short (or maybe the short ones succeed more, well, they do, but regular gymnasts) Bones woulda got denser I assume. Have twins and give one a gripper and not the other, see what happens :D

Edited by Pyro

I have no clue, theres lots of weightlifters with proper form that it doesn't stunt growth, but grippers don't weigh down or push down on the body, diff kind of stress. Lots of gymnasts are short (or maybe the short ones succeed more, well, they do, but regular gymnasts) Bones woulda got denser I assume. Have twins and give one a gripper and not the other, see what happens :D

Good idea. :shifty

Anyway, I know that lifting doesn't stunt growth, of course. But I'm just thinking from the standpoint of the Deano's hand size and his dad's. While he said his dad was taller, I doubt the difference would be like his less than 7 inch hand and his dad's above 9 inch hand. So I'm thinking if he was Deano's was his dad's height he'd probably have 7.5 inch hands or something. I just think maybe his dad got bigger hands from working with them at an earlier age. But then again, it's probably just genetics.