1st Session On The Ironmind Nails Today!

viper

Well the closest I came was after bending two 5/16 x 7 HRS (which I had never even gotten a kink in before). Then last week I did a 6.5 and 6 x 5/16 HRS before trying G5. I'm hoping I"ll warm up next time then blow through the G5. I'm also going to try a white/blue together to see how it feels and to help out viper alittle bit.

Ive bent 5 Gr5's now since I bent my first one afew days ago, you just have to man up and blow through it, in my experience if you stop after the kink at about 110-130 degrees on a gr5 its insanely hard to get it going again. What kind of wraps are yalll useing?

I use cordura at the same size of Ironmind pads. It's the same material as IM pads, but I wanna conserve my nice blue ones for my red nail cert in the future. It isn't much padding but I've toughened up a bit.

The difference between a yellow and a blue is like nothing... the difference between a yellow/blue and a red is massive.

Well I think that is the same with any metal. Once you can bend a 7 inch piece it isn't long before the 6.5, 6, and usually 5.5 inch fall. At 5" is where the length gets to be a problem.

Well I think that is the same with any metal. Once you can bend a 7 inch piece it isn't long before the 6.5, 6, and usually 5.5 inch fall. At 5" is where the length gets to be a problem.

Thats not true.

Of course the % increase of force needed to bend a 6" Red compared to a 7" Red is the same as from a Yellow to a Blue.

But you have to look at the ABSOLUTE increase of force needed to bend a bar.

Thats the reason a Blue is not that much harder than a Yellow.

But a 6" Red compared to a 7" Red is much harder in absolute terms and will need ALOT of work to reach, let alone harder stock like a 6"x 5/16" G5 compared to a 7" x 5/16" G5 and so on.

I didn't quite get that Franky. I didn't understand the "absolute" reference. I just know that I went from a yellow, to 6.5, to blue, 5.5, but only got 5" to 90 degrees. And in the last week I did 5/16 x 7" HRS and went down to 6.5, and 6" in one session. To me it just seems easy to progress from 7" to like 5.5" without too much difference.

• 2 weeks later...

i thought the blue is 305lbs an the yellow is 240lbs..no?

i did my 2nd bending yesterday - bent a yellow in 26 secs, an two in a row later on, also bent a white an green at the same time, but i could only slightly kink a blue, after that it was a rock..???

I just depends on where your strength levels are at. For most beginning benders they are plenty strong enough to do tougher bends, but technique is holding them back. Then when the technique finally clicks their bending goes thru the roof to catch up with the actual strength level or at least close. After that the PR's come a bit slower. At least in my limited experience.

- Aaron

i thought the blue is 305lbs an the yellow is 240lbs..no?

Yes, but no. I had to have this clarified for me the other day as well. Remember the disclaimer at the top of the post:

I think the only truly meaninful comparisons of the various stocks are those of the same length. For example, a 7" piece of the 5/16" round can be compared to any other stock of 7" with a high degree of accuracy. But on the other hand, a 6" grade 8's calibration rating may not necessarily reflect how tough the grade 8 is to bend, relative to a 5" piece of some other type of stock.

A good example of this is a G8 versus the Bastard:

G8 = 460lbs

Bastard = 440lbs

The Bastard is known to be considerably tougher than a G8, so what's going on? The catch is the 1" difference. G8 is 6" and Bastard is 7". For an accurate comparison you'd have to compare the G8 to the Huge Bastard which is rated at 600lbs!