Stew Rosendaul, Shallow York Hub

Sean Dockery

Alawadhi- I've been watching Stew train now for almost two years. He's been working at this lift as long as I have been training with him. Very strong young guy, but even stronger is his head (!!) and his mental attitude.....if he decides to do something, he's going to do it, or kill himself trying. It's a tough lift, and he made it look waaaay too easy on the video. I am now able to easily lift 2-35# hubs, one in each hand, but they are deeper, narrower hubs. I can't even "float" the 45's he's shown lifting in the video. Doubt I ever will.... that's the difference between Stew and I. He never doubts that he will be able to do it. Good luck with your hub and grip-training!!

John Scribner

if everyone said it's hard then i think it is really hard. i will try my best to first lift my 35 then i will think to lift my 45.

Stew,

Great job!!! :rock Best of luck getting it with both hands.

• 7 months later...
Thanks guys I don't rember seeing the one of Flo doing it thanks for the link has he done 2 at ounce yet thats what I want to shoot for next.

Stew, no he has not done the double hub lift yet. He gave two of his plates to me - so I'll try the lift (double lift too) this year too! Looking forward to Your Double hub lift! :rock

The last weeks I worked with the shallow York Hubs again. Here is the result: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?automod...si&img=5281 :rock

Nice job Flo!

Nice work.

Well Flo I guess you just raised the bar huh ;) now I have to get a video of that and a video of a clean with them before you beat me to that to :trout . Way bto go agian on the double looked strong. :bow

Thanks for you kind words, guys! Stew, a clean would be crazy!

Thanks for you kind words, guys! Stew, a clean would be crazy!

It's only crazy till it's done then it's the norm ;)

Very nice hub lift. Strong stuff dude.

The plates i did my dual 45lbs hub lift with had fairly shallow hubs, around 3/4''. I haven't tried a hub lift with any other plates so i can't say how they would compare.

i also snatched it (here is a clearer view)

Something i was wondering the other say was whether or not a 100lbs plate with a fairly deep hub could be lifted with a lot of training. I have heard of hub lifts around 70lbs with weight added to a 45lbs plate but does anyone know of the biggest lift ever done?

Edited by CoC#3

I'd go out on a limb and say McGranahan has lifted the most on a 45 hub with added weight.

Others have lifted a lot on the IronMind hub using the vertical bar grip, but that technique is ridiculous. No compariosn between the finger-tip grip used on hubs to the vertical bar grip.

-Jedd-

Something i was wondering the other say was whether or not a 100lbs plate with a fairly deep hub could be lifted with a lot of training. I have heard of hub lifts around 70lbs with weight added to a 45lbs plate but does anyone know of the biggest lift ever done?

Steve Stanko did 90 on a York plate 50 plus years ago. John Grimek was the witness. I believe someone recently did 95 in the last 6 months, but their name escapes me. Dale Harder, Oldtimer on the board, is a strength historian, and he collects this information.

The "vbar" method is a different lift, but I still respect the big weights done that style. But big lifts on shallow hubs are truly impressive. My talent is (was) the IM hub claw style, as I suck on the plate hubs I have tried with one exception. Strossen patterned it after no specific hub in particular, but it was inspired by the York guys of old. A couple of years ago, I asked him which hub he was replicating, and that was what he told me. Because every brand of plate varies in texture, width, depth, slope, etc. we will never know what Stanko did his on.

But the things Stew is doing may be more difficult than any.

Hubgeezer

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like a 100lbs hub lift may be possible in the near future, then.

McGranahan does some sick hub lifting.

Steve Stanko did 90 on a York plate 50 plus years ago. John Grimek was the witness. I believe someone recently did 95 in the last 6 months, but their name escapes me. Dale Harder, Oldtimer on the board, is a strength historian, and he collects this information.

The "vbar" method is a different lift, but I still respect the big weights done that style. But big lifts on shallow hubs are truly impressive. My talent is (was) the IM hub claw style, as I suck on the plate hubs I have tried with one exception. Strossen patterned it after no specific hub in particular, but it was inspired by the York guys of old. A couple of years ago, I asked him which hub he was replicating, and that was what he told me. Because every brand of plate varies in texture, width, depth, slope, etc. we will never know what Stanko did his on.

But the things Stew is doing may be more difficult than any.

Hubgeezer

Geezer, Frank Ciavattone Jr., age 51, 6'0, 276, did 88 lb a few months ago. Maybe that's the guy you were thinking about. He used a York 45 lb plate plus 43 lb more. He did it in a US All-Around weightlifting competition. For those of you who don't know Frank, consider that he did a 1-arm dead lift of 562 lb in competition, at age 50. This guy is for real. See www.strengthopedia.com for a photo and more info. I believe he's on page 2 or 3 there. Steve Stanko, mentioned above, could clean & jerk 375. John Grimek, for those who don't know, was on the US Olympic weightlifting team back in 1936. Among Grimek's other feats, witnessed by the lifting stars of those days, were a one-hand overhead lift with the 209 lb Cyr dumbbell with a 1.5" diameter handle.

Hubgeezer

Geezer, Frank Ciavattone Jr., age 51, 6'0, 276, did 88 lb a few months ago. Maybe that's the guy you were thinking about. He used a York 45 lb plate plus 43 lb more. He did it in a US All-Around weightlifting competition. For those of you who don't know Frank, consider that he did a 1-arm dead lift of 562 lb in competition, at age 50. This guy is for real. See www.strengthopedia.com for a photo and more info. I believe he's on page 2 or 3 there.

Imagine that. Someone who we have never heard of, an Over 50, someone not on the Gripboard, who does something better than the rest of us. Well, well, I guess we just can't get too comfortable, can we?

There was the Over 60 Dad who did 350 on the Vbar without ever touching it before.

Who knows what kind of strong hands are hanging out there? 260 pound pinchmonster working on a construction site somewhere? Maybe there are Rock Climbers who can kick butt on hubs.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Regardless, this thread is about Stew, and his shallow hub lifts are as good as they get.

Hbgzr

Well it started about me but I'm willing to share that lift of Florians is pretty impressive stuff I haven't got them a full lift together yet like that so my hats off to him but don't get comfortable. As far as others I'd like to know more of whats out there by the way Florian have you tryed adding weight to them yet thats somwthing I was working on?

Well it started about me but I'm willing to share that lift of Florians is pretty impressive stuff I haven't got them a full lift together yet like that so my hats off to him but don't get comfortable. As far as others I'd like to know more of whats out there by the way Florian have you tryed adding weight to them yet thats somwthing I was working on?

Stew, the plates are still not easy to lift without added weight, so I've never tried to lift it that way. To make the feat more difficult I tried to lift a plate with 2 fingers and thumb, got it off the ground but no full deadlift. When I get the full DL I will post a video here.