Magnuss Samuelson Crushing An Unseasoned 4 !

Darco

Don't concern yourself with those that are not coming or not competing (Mikeal and Burkie) - just with those who are... prepare thyself :tongue

OG: how much money?? :whistel I mean he's using an old handle and straps to hold the weight. Are there any images of him using a loading pin or anything close to a proper set up? With a strap I pulled 405lbs thus and you've done a good weight yourself but on a home made set up. I'm wondering of the five (Josh Bigger (you're pun was soooo bad BTW), yourself, Odd Haugen, Magnus and me who'd do well on a proper new set up?

How is it possible to lift so much more with a strap setup? I have used chain and I get less with that than I get with loading pin, because it seems to me like loading pin makes the whole setup more stable, thus making it easier.

It's also very stupid to burst cans without gloves, I mean those sharp edges are more likely to do even more severe damage.

Don't concern yourself with those that are not coming or not competing (Mikeal and Burkie) - just with those who are... prepare thyself :tongue

OG: how much money?? :whistel I mean he's using an old handle and straps to hold the weight. Are there any images of him using a loading pin or anything close to a proper set up? With a strap I pulled 405lbs thus and you've done a good weight yourself but on a home made set up. I'm wondering of the five (Josh Bigger (you're pun was soooo bad BTW), yourself, Odd Haugen, Magnus and me who'd do well on a proper new set up?

How is it possible to lift so much more with a strap setup? I have used chain and I get less with that than I get with loading pin, because it seems to me like loading pin makes the whole setup more stable, thus making it easier.

Give it a try. But make sure the strap binds to the handle (unlike your chain) and is old.

Wait a minute, 405 on the rolling thunder!? :blink

Yes. Using a wrist strap. It was less how great my grip was a more a nice 'feat of strength / lifting big ass weights' end to a grip seminar I did at Pullum Sports a few years back. Mind you I nearly followed through... with the strain 'n' all.

I've told the story before but I had planned on an attempt at the RT world record and doing other feats of strength. But literally the night before Mark Henry, who was in the country doing promotional work for the as was WWF (now WWE) through his then mentor Terry Todd decided to have a successful go at the Millennium Dumbbell.

Carrying a 228 lbs dumbbell down 20 or so stairs, up as many at the gym and pulling it from the floor twice myself and then sleeping about 4 hours pre a worl record attempt meant I was shagged big style. So I ended up doing a grip seminar and some grip feats. As all the guys there were Iron nuts it was all dumbbells and weights. I also found out how much harder a new handle is over an old one - much harder (about 20-kilos then).

Having done various lifts and handed over £100.00 of Bob Kennedy's money to the winner, Steve Angell, in a challenge I thought we needed a nice finish. So having failed to break the record I said 'fill it up' and a combination of 20-kilo and 25-kilo discs were loaded and I got out one of my rank old straps and pulled what turned out to be 405 os so pounds from the floor. I farted and had to clench my ass cheeks to prevent an accident... :blush Of course my brother, standing behind me with a video camera says 'it's all on tape...' Cheers Bro! :blush:blush

No. As that was never our challenge and the only people who ever bring it up are right here on the gripboard and who didn't get to set the challenge that wasn't what was required. Myself and Alan Radley knew full well that getting the bell off the floor one handed would, in and of itself, always be a challenge regardless of the form. To my constant irritation they claim it needs to be a deadlift and that the dumbbell must be level. That would be a great lift and to do so shows even greater strength than those who do otherwise but like Randall and his CCS we set the rules - they did not.

The list of those who have done just that - form or not - is very small (myself, Mark Henry, Joel Sward and possibly John Wood - there might be one more I've missed). There are photos of the first three.

This site, via cyberpump, has photos from both the seminar and Mark's visit here: http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/slideshow...bumName=album57

Mark is also unique in that he was first to lift it with either hand (3 right and 2 left) and from the floor. Joel tilted it and I have done it tilted a bunch and from the floor a few times. My most recent effort was a couple of months back at a exhibition here in Gloucester where I just about got it.

Using a lifting wrist strap and using a loading strap are two completely different things. Magnus not using a conventional loading pin did not make the lift easier. Using a lifting strap wrapped around the handle certainly does. At the kind of weight that Magnus can lift, a new handle becomes less relevant as the PVC sleeve would distort from it's round form and bind somewhat. Of course the lift by Magnus can not be seen as a record as he did not use a new RT a rigid loading pin and the weight was afterwards weighed on a bathroom scale. It was still the greatest RT lift I have seen on video.

Does not say it has to be a new handle. And for record purposes...it does not have to be a new one...it just has to be inspected to insure that it revolves smoothly and has not been tampered with before the record attempt. This is what I was told.

Rolling Thunder™ Contest Rules

1) An authentic IronMind¨ Rolling Thunder™ handle must be used, it cannot have been modified in any way, and it must be inspected to ensure that it revolves freely. The lift starts with the weight in between the lifter's feet. In the world championships (and the U.S. nationals), the 15" loading pin and large carabiner that IronMind¨ sells are used (this standardizes the lifting height). Any other loading pin and carabiner with the same dimensions could be used.

2) The lifter grabs the Rolling Thunder handle in approximately its center and lifts with the handle remaining approximately parallel to the ground. A thumbless grip is not permitted.

3) Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift.

4) The lifter must fully straighten up; once standing straight, the lifter gets a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the handle until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed or not.

5) In contest situations, we give the lifter one minute to complete the lift after his/her name is called; during that minute, there is no limit to how many times the lifter may try to complete the lift.

6) Ordinary chalk may be used on the lifter's hand, but nothing else is permitted (tacky, for example, is specifically disallowed).

Using a lifting wrist strap and using a loading strap are two completely different things.

Quite. Hence why I made sure to make it clear how the 405 was done.

Does not say it has to be a new handle. And for record purposes...it does not have to be a new one...it just has to be inspected to insure that it revolves smoothly and has not been tampered with before the record attempt. This is what I was told.

Rolling Thunder™ Contest Rules

1) An authentic IronMind¨ Rolling Thunder™ handle must be used, it cannot have been modified in any way, and it must be inspected to ensure that it revolves freely. The lift starts with the weight in between the lifter's feet. In the world championships (and the U.S. nationals), the 15" loading pin and large carabiner that IronMind¨ sells are used (this standardizes the lifting height). Any other loading pin and carabiner with the same dimensions could be used.

Quite correct. However, as you'll note from various competitions it is now the practise to use a new handle. At most of the more recent events they have had a new handle donated for use in competition. In addition they wear in quite quickly. Oldguy is quite correct when he says that at the heavier weights the handle will loose a tad of its shape and the outer thick PVC sleeve will touch the inner shaft. More so when the proper thumb over stance is used. There's a bunch on here not willing (and at £50.00 here in the Uk when brought from Pullums I'm hardly suprised) that have home made ones and OG himself has pulled a fair old whack on his home made version.

I've got a homemade rolling handle that I like to train with because it's quite a bit harder than the RT. Makes the RT feel alot easier when I do it. Mine is 2" id steel pipe so it's about 2 3/8 od and has sealed bearings in the ends this baby really rolls not to mention the bigger handle.

If RT handle was designed differently, had sealed bearings or so there wouldn't have to be any discussion whether it is a new or old handle that is used. Current design makes it a nonreliable way to judge grip strength, allthough I think of it as a great training tool.

Have to agree with the above - Clay's handle (2.5", sealed bearings, smooth metal) is just as smooth today as when I got it.

Edited by maidenfan

Steve and anyone else who might know:

Is the strength required to lift on the rolling thunder identical to the strength required to lift thick handled DBs of the same thickness?

Have to agree with the above - Clay's handle (2.5", sealed bearings, smooth metal) is just as smooth today as when I got it.

I agree with MaidenFan.I have a PDA 2.5" thunderball and that thing will never become easier .I find it much much harder than a Rolling Thunder.I wonder why Ironmind never produced a more solid version that will not wear.Actually thats an obvious answer really(daft question) ....cost.The solid handles are expensive.As Mobster said a new R.T handle in the UK is £50 or more so a solid one will be more than double , however it could be re used over and over again.

Its a shame a solid more soild handle could not be introduced and then as mentioned inn a previous post there would be no questions about a new or old handle.The poundages would be lower if a more solid handle was used I think but the same people would still come out on top such as Steve Gardener, Magnus etc