• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TelegraphKey

• gripuru

• Jedd Johnson

• unseenbeat

BTW, I just want to say "Congratulations" to Bob Lipinski. I don't think I've yet said to you what a great job you do on your levers. I mean, 21.5 lb strict lever to the face is mighty incredible. Now that I've been testing the waters, I think that's almost like closing a #4 or squatting 900 lbs. Just amazing.

Thanks! Actually, there are probably a few people around capable of doing what I can. Jim Wylie, Nick McKinless, Dave Horne, and Dave Morton just to name a few.

Here is my best effort with 21. I thought my arm was flat on the platform but it wasn't- Harder to do when you are kneeling. It's pretty strict anyway:

http://media.putfile.com/hammerstill

Thats too cool. Bob didnt you have a vid of non strict 34 or so a while back? Ive never even seen a 21 pound sledge, where did you get it? Ive only got to play w/ 16lber at work one time and couldnt anything w/ it, seeing you do that w/ 21 is borderline insane :rock .

Bob, that form is tight, bro!

-Jedd-

Thanks guys. That is a 20 sledge with a 1.25 magnet weight added on.

I did 30 in loose form with my hand choked up quite a bit on the handle.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been asked to look at this a little further by Telegraph Key. There seems to be little interest at this time, but that could change down the line.

I guess we need to figure out the rules. I will go ahead and start this conversation going. Here's how I see it.

Handle Length

There has to be a minimum length from the base of the handle to the end of the handle touching the head of the hammer. Perhaps pick a round number, like 30 inches. I think i read earlier on that 31 inches is the standard. if that is so, then we can use that. If your handle is shorter than the standard we decide on, then you are SOL. If it's longer than that, so be it.

Proof

Video is the way to go. The video has to get in close to show the grip on the handle, so that it is plain that the dude is not cheating and leaving a 1/4 inch out of his hand. Then the video must widen out showing the entire range of motion from vertical, down to the ear level, and back up.

Grip Positioning

Again video must show that the handle is all the way in the hand.

Strictness

Hammer starts straight up.

Hammer is lowered to top-of-head level.

Hammer is brought back to vertical with no use of the head or neck, only wrist strength. Apparatus can't shift to allow for momentum, etc.

The only way to maintain strict levering is to use some sort of structure to rest the arm on. This could include a squat bar, smith machine, yoke, or something similar, as long as it is sturdy.

The shoulder (posterior deltoid) area must stay in contact with the apparatus.

Believe me, I've judged levering before and it is a pain in the ass. There are tons of variables, many of which I did not realize, until I saw them in action. But I guess you can't call something that hasn'tbeen established, so let's decide all this ahead of time.

Divisions

8, 10, 12, 16 and 20 pound hammers are plentiful. Not sure on other sizes. My guess is that most people won't need a 20 something hammer when levering it on an apparatus.

Judging

It can be like the Mash Monster. The athlete shoots the video and posts it himself then contacts me via email (jedd.diesel@gmail.com). I will contact two other judges. The way judges will qualify can be determined later. 2 out of 3 lights and you get it.

Anything else that needs to be covered? Let me know what you think on this, everybody. Response to this thread from here on will give a good indication of interest, and whether I will make the record thread for levering.

-Jedd-

so we are going with 31 inch handle from the very end. to the bottom of the sledge head so if you count the head it will be a total of around 33 inches for a 10lb der and the bigger ones would be more? im just checking i have them from 31 inches to 34 inches to the bottom and want to make them the same thanks to who ever rings in

I have just lever in the looser fashion (although it was a strict lever) 20lb with my right hand and 16lb lefty to the head. It even touch my head.

I think i have good genetics for levering since it has passed about 1,5 months since i start training with sledgehammers.

Although my strength is growing I always try to lower my ego.

I think it´s very weird but last week i could manage to do a 16lb lever and now 7 days later i can do it with 20lb. Can anyone explain me this?

<3 sledge levering. only done a 8lb yet. have to dominate it before i try anything harder :P

Tomorrow i will hopefully post a 22,5lb "free hand" lever since iam progressing incredibly fast.

Thank to God for all this.

So let´s see how it goes for me tomorrow.

Tomorrow i will hopefully post a 22,5lb "free hand" lever since iam progressing incredibly fast.

That's crazy progress. How often do you train with sledges?

That's crazy progress. How often do you train with sledges?

About 3 times a week, i have the video of the 22,5 sledge

Just curious, whats the handle like on yalls sledges? All I have is an old 12lb axe from the 70's and the handle is all weird, cury and flat like. I got the opurtunity to try a 16lb sledge at work the other day and the handle was basicly a semicircle w/ the same diameter all the way down and it really felt alot easier to hold on to.

Just curious, whats the handle like on yalls sledges? All I have is an old 12lb axe from the 70's and the handle is all weird, cury and flat like. I got the opurtunity to try a 16lb sledge at work the other day and the handle was basicly a semicircle w/ the same diameter all the way down and it really felt alot easier to hold on to.

My handles are between a 0 and a O. That kind of shapes.

so we are going with 31 inch handle from the very end. to the bottom of the sledge head so if you count the head it will be a total of around 33 inches for a 10lb der and the bigger ones would be more? im just checking i have them from 31 inches to 34 inches to the bottom and want to make them the same thanks to who ever rings in

31" total handle length -- from bottom of the handle to bottom of the weight. Every single sledge I've seen in a store is like this.

I think it´s very weird but last week i could manage to do a 16lb lever and now 7 days later i can do it with 20lb. Can anyone explain me this?

Steroids?

No, seriously, that is kick-ass. Congratulations. When I did 16 lbs last week, it was with worse form than your 18.6 lb video. If you're doing 20+ lbs you're definitely doing more than me.

Still, not to be an a-hole, but watching JAD (Josh?) & Bob Lipinski's levers, where they don't even move their arms, with 20+ lbs, is just amazing. I couldn't even do 11 lbs strict the other day. Argh. I think I might get some utility out of using the "Cheat" principle & just working on the 16 lb. in "any-way-at-all" fashion, for awhile.

Dude, that is a real big lift. Looked better than the 18.6 one.

But remember, if we EVER get a Gripboard records thread created for sledging, the levers are going to have to be performed in a considerably more strict manner. Scroll back up (or maybe on the previous page) and read the Rules suggested by Jedd. The form will have to be, the arm is resting flat on something, the arm doesn't move, etc.

But if that really was 20-22 lbs (can't remember which) you look like you could do 16 lbs strict form, pretty easy. Great job! :rock

Dude, that is a real big lift. Looked better than the 18.6 one.

But remember, if we EVER get a Gripboard records thread created for sledging, the levers are going to have to be performed in a considerably more strict manner. Scroll back up (or maybe on the previous page) and read the Rules suggested by Jedd. The form will have to be, the arm is resting flat on something, the arm doesn't move, etc.

But if that really was 20-22 lbs (can't remember which) you look like you could do 16 lbs strict form, pretty easy. Great job! :rock

Thanks Jim,

Now i can do 20lb in the "free hand" strict with my right hand, refering to the strict lever as Bob does i never done it, i think iam going to try it next time I practice with hammers.

I do levers in the free handed fashion because i like it more, but the other way is harder, thats for sure.

As far as i know if we get a Gripboard records thread created for sledging i think Dave Morton has to be in the highest rank as he did a 25lbs+ with a 31" sledge on a contest rig.

He is a beast, the best in grippers, one of the best at bending and the best at levering in the board. My opinion.

Edited by gripuru

• 4 months later...