The White Nail

italiancrusher

Ok guys whats up? Im new here so ill give a berif background first.

5'11

Got into serious grip training about 3 weeks ago, when my strength coach had a coc 2 lying around and i could hardly budge it. Now i do a pretty intense 2-3 hour grip/bicep/forearm workout every saturday morning and tuesday night. I am about a half inch-inch away from the 2, i just order the 1 for more practice, but anyway on to bending.

I turn 16 in april and will be ordering myself 50 whit nails from ironmind. What are the chances i will be able to bend on on the first try? Should i go the next level up? General tips, articles, and comments are appreciated.

The chances are very good.

If you can afford it, pick up the bag of nails, so that you have benchmarks to go by. Do your serious bending with nails from the hardware store, it's cheaper. Go pick up some 5" and 6" spiral nails, non galvanized, and a couple 60d common nails.

If you can bend the 6" spiral you're off to a great start. If you can bend a 60d you are off to a fantastic start.

You're ordering the right thing.

The exact nails are:

1. 5" spiral nails (also called an ardox nail)

2. 6" spiral nails (also called ardox or timber ties)

3. 6" spiral nails (galvanized, {makes them harder})

4. 6" x 1/4" Grade 2 hex head bolts

5. 6" 60d common nail (these are smooth, no spirals)

Get about 10 of each, go home and find one you can bend that is difficult, but not max effort. Go back and buy about 40 of them. Bend these at high volume untill they are gone. At this point you can get 40 more or move up a level. I started with the 5" spirals, but who knows where you'll start.

This confused me when I started bending so here is some clarification:

1. This is a 60d nail, also called a 60 penny nail.

2. This is a spiral nail, also called a timber tie.

3. This is a Grade 2 bolt, there will be either nothing on the head of the bolt, or a series of letters. If there are three dashes, then it's a grade 5. (the picture is actually a grade 5 but they look the same aside from the head).

As for galvanizing, if you are not sure what that is it is a coating on the nail to prevent it from oxidizing, the hardware store people will know exactly what it is.

Diesel Crew's web site has a great primer on bending:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/Articles.htm

Click on the article:

"Greg Amidon and Dave Morton - Un-Braced Bending"

It's a few pages and will get you started in the right direction fast.

Diesel Crew's web site has a great primer on bending:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/Articles.htm

Click on the article:

"Greg Amidon and Dave Morton - Un-Braced Bending"

It's a few pages and will get you started in the right direction fast.

Thank you for point that out. I do something simliar to sledge levering only with dumbells and med balls.

EXTREMELY GOOD although i am not sure of your lower arm strength it could possibly be to easy for you, make sure you have a good technique before you start your hand health is the most important, if you know of any hardeware stores around your area buy some 3/16 square after you smoke the white and cut it down to whatever you please, best of luck

You will find that the white nails are easy to bend. I have ordered both from IM and FBBC. I like FBBC variety but when I want to show what I have bent I always make sure it is the color coded IM nails

In gripping and bending, IM is the standard that others are compared too. A Supermaster is 2.5 for example, and a G8 is about Blue.8

In gripping and bending, IM is the standard that others are compared too. A Supermaster is 2.5 for example, and a G8 is about Blue.8

Hmmm...I reread this post several times, but the last part confuses me. Are you saying an IM Blue is equal to a G8 bolt? I know that can't be right, because an IM Blue is less than a 60D nail. Please clarify your statement for me. :)

I think he's saying a grade 8 bolt is 80% of the way from a blue to a red nail.

See...I said I was confused. That makes more sense. Thanks.

Chris

Well guys i had originally planned on the Fat bastard bag. But since IM is the trademark name which everyone goes by i was planning on that. I figure i will get the IM bag and if and when i can bend the yellow i will look into a heavier stock. But my main goal is to tbend the IM red before i am 17.

I think he's saying a grade 8 bolt is 80% of the way from a blue to a red nail.

Scott's got it.

2.8, blue.8 I know, it's not common bending lingo.