I.m, And A #5?

ruffhans

was samuelsons no.4 close under new rules.

no, it was before the rule change.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sybersnott

• ruffhans

• StalwartSentinel

• Soilworker

No one has done the #4 with the new rules. That statement should go in it's own seperate thread, locked and stickied, as an a must read.

I had an email conversation with Randy on this some time ago. He basically said there wouldn't be a #5 for several reasons - (1) the heavier grippers don't sell as well as the easy ones, (2) Nobody is closing the #4 with a credit card set, and (3) even if there were people closing it with a CC set, there'd need to be dozens of people doing it in order to consider making a stronger grippers. He also noted that the potential for injury is a lot greater with bigger grippers and who wants that kind of liability?

On the credit card set attempts, I've been really, really close and really far away. Know what I mean?

Edited by ClayEdgin

people will always want a bigger and better toy,even if they cant use it to its potential.

kinda like exotic cars,not many rich old guys who buy an exotic could ever dream of pushing it to its limits.

5 or no 5...people like the myth and the challange,along with the novelty of things. just imo.

people will always want a bigger and better toy,even if they cant use it to its potential.

kinda like exotic cars,not many rich old guys who buy an exotic could ever dream of pushing it to its limits.

5 or no 5...people like the myth and the challange,along with the novelty of things. just imo.

Exactly....how many things are made and marketed and sold that are impractical.

Lots of merchandise will never be used to it's potential.Ferrari's or even the new vettes....anyone really need anything that goes that fast...or handles that good?Hummer H1's...the new Dodge pick up with the V-10 from a viper in it?

lots of unreasonable and almost impractical stuff.

My guess he makes a #5...he's just sittn' on it for awhile.

I mean how many guys have bouth the INCH replica...only to use it as a doorstop? :whistel

Strossen still sells those don't he? ;)

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I'm asking for a BB Pro with 1/4" mounting, heavy knurling, and 2.75" spread for X-Mas. That will be #5/paperweight enough for me :D

I find it funny that Strossen said he should have done the new rule a long time ago but then he made BenCrush CCS his #3 for certification when Ben wanted to TNS it. That tells me he doesn't really understand closing grippers very well and probably had some outside help on his beloved CC rule.

Edited by jad

I find it funny that Strossen said he should have done the new rule a long time ago but then he made BenCrush CCS his #3 for certification when Ben wanted to TNS it.  That tells me he doesn't really understand closing grippers very well and probably had some outside help on his beloved CC rule.

I think he did that only to leave no doubt that it was closed to the rules.

If anything IM should make a tweener between the #2 and the #3. Its a big jump between them both. Call it the 2 and a half or something. :)

I mean how many guys have bouth the INCH replica...only to use it as a doorstop? :whistel

Strossen still sells those don't he? ;)

*Raises Hand*

If anyone really wants a #5 gripper, take their #4 and chop 1/2" from the bottom of each handle so the handles are shorter. You just saved $25.

woops,. look what i started! sorry about that guys. i dont use grippers anymore so im not up on my gripper news. i didnt know about any rule changing. i just saw a few guys closed a #4, or i thought anyway, and saw someone post about how they thought Heith should have handed Slim a #4 and chalanged him- thus, i thought if the #4 was atleast getting shut, not to mentoin the movies i have seen on here. i would say that gave me enought evidence to ask such a (?). let me refase it now,.......................if enough people close a #4, do you think I.M will make a #5?

:blink boy, theese gripper heads get so worked up about this tuff. :D

woops,. look what i started! sorry about that guys. i dont use grippers anymore so im not up on my gripper news. i didnt know about any rule changing. i just saw a few guys closed a #4, or i thought anyway, and saw someone post about how they thought Heith should have handed Slim a #4 and chalanged him- thus, i thought if the #4 was atleast getting shut, not to mentoin the movies i have seen on here. i would say that gave me enought evidence to ask such a (?). let me refase it now,.......................if enough people close a #4, do you think I.M will make a #5?

boy, theese gripper heads get so worked up about this tuff.

You might be thinking about the 3 guys who closed a #4 with an MMS at the Backyard Bastard Bash in October. Dave Morton (already certified), Steve McGranahan, and Josh Dale all closed a #4 at that contest. It was not CCS of course, but still way beyond the capabilities of even most of the top grip guys.

I don't think there will ever be a #5 made by Ironmind. As someone else mentioned already, there are some grippers already that are harder than the #4. Just pick one of those if you need more than the #4. :D

ok, now i have more knowledge. thanx everyone. well i never got past a #2 and i sold my grippers. so i certianly wasnt coming at this as a possible for me or anything. but was just curious. now let me get this straight,.......i could have swore i saw a few guys in an I.M catolog as having closed a #4,.....so you are saying that they "did not" do it under the I.M rules? or they did but then I.M changed there rules?

.....i could have swore i saw a few guys in an I.M catolog as having closed a #4,.....so you are saying that they "did not" do it under the I.M rules? or they did but then I.M changed there rules?

Yes, they did it, then Ironmind pulled the ol' switch-er'oo. Now the feat of certing is considerably harder. Add that to an already almost impossible feat......

I'm asking for a BB Pro with 1/4" mounting, heavy knurling, and 2.75" spread for X-Mas.  That will be #5/paperweight enough for me :D

I find it funny that Strossen said he should have done the new rule a long time ago but then he made BenCrush CCS his #3 for certification when Ben wanted to TNS it.  That tells me he doesn't really understand closing grippers very well and probably had some outside help on his beloved CC rule.

Huh? TNS does not count for a cert? You have to stop and put the credit card in and then close it? Does it give change? :laugh

I'm asking for a BB Pro with 1/4" mounting, heavy knurling, and 2.75" spread for X-Mas.  That will be #5/paperweight enough for me :D

Huh? TNS does not count for a cert? You have to stop and put the credit card in and then close it? Does it give change? :laugh

Yes...You have to stop and slide in a credit card with the non-gripping hand.

I specifically asked Dr. Strossen about this and he told me that you could wave the credit card between the wide open handles...and then no set the gripper. According to him you don't have to "stop and slide the CC in" you can slide the CC before you start then no set. Said he doesn't care if the handles are all the way open or pulled in part way, just as long as a cedit card is used to show that the handles are at least that far apart before the close, and that the off hand id not assist after the CC was between the handles. Could be a misunderstanding? or not....stranger things have happened.

I specifically asked Dr. Strossen about this and he told me that you could wave the credit card between the wide open handles...and then no set the gripper. According to him you don't have to "stop and slide the CC in" you can slide the CC before you start then no set. Said he doesn't care if the handles are all the way open or pulled in part way, just as long as a cedit card is used to show that the handles are at least that far apart before the close, and that the off hand id not assist after the CC was between the handles. Could be a misunderstanding? or not....stranger things have happened.

Here is an email from Dr. Strossen to BenCrush that was C&P onto Grippermania which I've C&P.

Congratulations to Ben Edwards who has just been certified on the No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper.

Although certification on this world-famous gripper is always meritorious, we feel that Ben Edwards demonstrated such an uncommon level of hand strength that it should be known that he didn't merely close a No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper according to the rules, but he did it with each hand, he used a 2004 No. 3 gripper for his certification, and after he had closed the gripper for his official attempt, starting from the required credit card gap, he laid the gripper on a table, picked it up, and then closed it with no set at all - again, with each hand.

No ifs, ands or buts - just a display of the tremendous horsepower in Ben's hands.

Recognizing his accomplishment, IronMind is proud to add Ben Edwards' name to the official list of guys certified on the No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper: 

Here is Ben's description C&P from Grippermania

Randy Strossen had informed the witness that I should certify with the credit card set, instead of TNS, so there were no questions raised about the cert process. So I of course complied. Right hand was super easy. Long hold to show all the cameras. Left hand was pretty easy. Decent hold also.

Then for fun I asked the Coach if he'd like to see a TNS close of the #3. "Yes!" So I did a TNS close both right and left handed. Nice holds too.

Maybe Doc is right and I'm just misunderstanding it, but it sure looks like to me that he told Ben he had to set it and not just wave a card between it on his way to TNSing it.

Edited by jad

i would think that a im # 5 would feel like a rock so why not just squeez rocks??? :upsidedwn

Maybe Doc is right and I'm just misunderstanding it, but it sure looks like to me that he told Ben he had to set it and not just wave a card between it on his way to TNSing it.

Josh is completely right. I was told that a TNS would not be allowed. No ifs ands or buts.

CCS was the only way I was going to be certified that day. And my witness was told to make sure that I did it CCS style too. Just to be sure.

I respect Doctor Strossen tremendously and have corresponded with him about a dozen times before my COC cert, and won't say anything derogatory about him, but I still question how CCS is harder or more legitimate than a TNS close.

The answer is that CCS is NOT harder. But that's cool...it's done now. Anyone that can TNS close a gripper should be able to CCS it. But remember, the pause to insert the CC is almost as much a killer on the crush as the TNS is. So training for it should be done just in case.

I imagine that's why it took Dave L his 3rd try to get it all the way closed-I just got my MILO in the mail today. Dave is a super strong guy. He just probably hadn't messed with the CCS until that day. I might be wrong, but I think he was TNS closing his #3 pretty easily before that day.

So the technique issue is probably what Strossen was trying to drive home. It DOES take a bit of technique to CCS close the grippers. I have seen friends who are #2 closers fail on a #1 with the CCS. That happens often actually. :blink It's only the pause to insert the CC and then the slightly wider sweep and close that really messes most of them up. Most use a parallel set to close the #2.

i think it would be harder in a way to ccs...because on a no set you have to just concentrate on slamming the gripper shut,but with a cc...its awkward and annoying to have to slide a cc in there then close the gripper.

id rather try tns the ccs. imo.

i think it would be harder in a way to ccs...because on a no set you have to just concentrate on slamming the gripper shut,but with a cc...its awkward and annoying to have to slide a cc in there then close the gripper.

id rather try tns the ccs. imo.

No. CCS, you can set the gripper perfect in your hand (not too deep), open it up to CC width and then on the "go" from the witness, slam it shut. In TNS, you can never seem to get it in a good spot in your hand and it totally takes your leverage away.

No. CCS, you can set the gripper perfect in your hand (not too deep), open it up to CC width and then on the "go" from the witness, slam it shut. In TNS, you can never seem to get it in a good spot in your hand and it totally takes your leverage away.

Very true Stalwart! It's usually the pause to insert the CC that saps that last bit of crush on the #3 though.

I think what Mr Strossen was going for was that a CC was involved, Ben could've TNS'd it, but he would have had to show that the TNS starting point was as wide, or wider than a CC set, otherwise someone could argue that Ben had a #3 with a freakishly narrow spread, and even though he TNS'd he did not satisfy the CC rule.

That's the logical point of view, anyway.