• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• FrankyBoy

• DuTCH

• Florian Kellersmann

Top Posters In This Topic

The unoffical winner, because i was competiting but not a German, was me. So Flo, congrats, but i was better  :tongue  ;)

How come? I can understand that you wouldn't but qualify for the Euros from the this comp but if you scored the most points overall then surely you won the comp?

Apologies if I am missing something but this seems strange? In the UK grip champs we have had competitors from different countries in the past. The position they place is based on the amount of points they score. I was cruelly beaten into 4th place in the 2003 UK champs by Sweden's Kalle Lane - he simply lifted more weight than me that day...

Yeah, I was kind of confused on this too. Franky placed second in the Swiss Grip Championships so...??? Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Josh

The organizer said it would only be possible to compete indirectly. And even if i got the most point, wich i did, i would only be better, and not become first... I did get a prize, and that should be said, that Hermann Korte did a great job.

So Germans can compete and place in Swiss comps (Franky) and Swedes can compete and place in British events (Arne and Kalle), Brits (David Horne) in Swedish events and even, as per me, Brits can compete and place in US events (GGC 2004) but a lone Dutchman can't compete and place in the German event. Hmm. He got a prize but...

I wanna here what Florian has to say on this, and I won't have to wait long, because he's in the middle of replying again. :rolleyes

Why this is hard to understand? In national german championchips you are only allowed to compete if you are german. It wasn't an international or open contest. This is the same like in other sports. Seems like the swiss comp, IG comp and LGC comp were open competitions. In germany we have the MGC as an international open competition. By the way Theo competed there this year.

I think it was nice from Hermann Korte to allow Theo to compete without scoring and just to show what he is capable of - and that was what Theo did.

Flo, no one is knocking what you did so please don't feel that we are. You did well and the Dutch knew what he was getting into before hand. But why are the rules for your events different from all the others? And why did both yourself and Frankboy merit a mention and not the Dutch even though he beat you?

By your own admittance the MCG is an open event - not a German national. So on that basis none of the events I mention rate as highly or are as of a similar standard to the German event you placed in? It is easy enough to look at the weights etc done in events across all the competitions to see where people will have placed.

On the Euro standard pinch the first position Germany rated was 20th (Erik Franz). On v-bar it's worse: Frank Henritzi, Germany 134.0k and he did that at a foreign event the Swiss Comp. IV 2005 placing 27th on the all-time list. Theo is top 6 (3 places up from me).

So again - Swedes can enter and place in the BRITISH, Germans and Dutch enter and place in the SWISS and Brits enter and place in the AMERICAN event. But the Germans wont allow anyone else a place?

But your rules are your rules - so why not allow him to even merit a mention in the 'who did what and placed where'. Flo won, Franky placed 2nd and if he had been allowed to place the Dutch would have won. Easy enough.

To clarify - I understand well enough. No one wanted anyone from outside to win. If I'm wrong...

Are there any other closed events besides David's invite only contest? What constitutes being German as far as eligibility? Residency for X amount of time or a certain percent heritage? Will this qualify Dutch for the Euros or will he have to compete in an open contest or one with only Dutchmen? Just curious.. thanks in advance.

Are there any other closed events besides David's invite only contest?  What constitutes being German as far as eligibility?  Residency for X amount of time or a certain percent heritage?  Will this qualify Dutch for the Euros or will he have to compete in an open contest or one with only Dutchmen?  Just curious.. thanks in advance.

Of course David's invite only contest invites went out to the champs from various events and I fully look forward to breaking bread and sharing a brew with Frankyboy who is, of those invited, the only German I think that's gonna make it (I think 2 more had to bow out).

Will this qualify Dutch for the Euros or will he have to compete in an open contest or one with only Dutchmen?  Just curious.. thanks in advance.

In my mind yes. This would be good enough. We can't expect people travel all over Europe in order to qualify.

Having said that I do understand the logic behind the German championship to be just that, a national championship.

The LGC competition is an open championship, not a national championship.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

For me he was always the clear favourite since he has simply no weaknesses.  Thats the key for winning such a contest.

Congrats Flo!!! :D

Actually, I'm not surprised... since I coached him personally :D ...we worked on improving his weaknesses and sharpening his strengths.

And on improving his mental game - it was my suggestion that he think of a grip comp like he was going over to Burger King and getting to order anything he wants!! :laugh

Great Job Florian Way To Go!

Congrats to all, of course, but where are the results?

Congrats, sounds like it was a great contest!

At first:

Congrats to Flo, Frank, Gerrit and Theo! It was a nice competition and it was fun to meet all the other guys. Hermann Korte did a great job with the organisation of the comp.

Flo, no one is knocking what you did so please don't feel that we are. You did well and the Dutch knew what he was getting into before hand. But why are the rules for your events different from all the others? And why did both yourself and Frankboy merit a mention and not the Dutch even though he beat you?

I think at this moment we talked enough about Theo - we all know that he has a very good grip! :) By the way: I asked Hermann Korte right after the comp if Theo would have won if he would have competed and he said: "I really don't know and I'll check that later!" This was definately not an important thing for him. Think about it: this guy organized a nice comp and he allowed Theo to compete - that's not the most natural thing in the world.

So again - Swedes can enter and place in the BRITISH, Germans and Dutch enter and place in the SWISS and Brits enter and place in the AMERICAN event. But the Germans wont allow anyone else a place?

The competitors are not involved in the decision if it is an open or national contest - so we should not discuss this thing (contact Hermann Korte!). So it's up to him what he is doing and this is a good thing! It's not an advantage if the competitors are too much involved in the organisation of a contest.

The competitors had the idea of doing an open contest - so Thorsten Moser ornganized the MGC and we were happy about competing against (and meeting) Theo!

But your rules are your rules - so why not allow him to even merit a mention in the 'who did what and placed where'. Flo won, Franky placed 2nd and if he had been allowed to place the Dutch would have won. Easy enough.

I doubt that Theo would have won if he had competed against the German competitors because of one reason:

Theo started the vbar lifts as last competitor because he can lift heavy weights. In order to have a nice comp and not to destroy the camaraderie with Theo Hermann Korte was judging his attemps very friendly. All attemps of Theo on the vbar would have been rejected by Mr. Korte if he had judged them like the lifts of the German competitors. The German competitors had to wait for the down signal and then lower the weight slowly under control. Theos lifts where judged like in the Europeans - that a "little bit" different.

I hope that I have clarified things and that the discussion will come to an end now! I won't write down any other comments to this thread because it's all clear now and I'm sure it's not worth to discuss this point any longer. We should be happy about a nice competition and do a :bow to the winner!

I prefer to train and not to talk too much about this BS!

Edited by Burkhard Macht

Let me understand - the V-bar wasn't judged like everyone else has agreed on? That way - the hold - tears skin and is why the lift and drop (with hand touching) is accepted. It would explain the lower weights. Plus it's standard for the heavier weight attempts to be at the end. It's called a 'rising bar'. :shifty

The problem, as I see it, was that Theo didn't get a mention at all. He knew he was a guest lifter and, baring in mind they both did well, Flo and Franky had a bunch of congrats in spite of not lifting and or winning the most. :erm

None of the difference in rules bodes well for a Euro grip 2006. I hope Euro standard rules will be used then. They should because using a different standard hasn't led to better lifting outside of those events :dry

congrats to all, especially Flo, Franky and Theo!!

eager to see the numbers!

david

ps: the swiss comp was indeed open, but the qualification for the euro was without the foreigners (that is, if I had placed 4th and been the 1st swiss, I'd have qualified).

Understood and making sense as well. It would be, IMO, one way forward and allows an open comp and still puts a national champ at the Euros.

None of the difference in rules bodes well for a Euro grip 2006. I hope Euro standard rules will be used then. They should because using a different standard hasn't led to better lifting outside of those events  :dry

The Euro rules would have to be adhered to at the next European Championship. This is part of the package. Grippers, LGC v-bar replica and the Euro pinch standard. I have not heard any Germans indicating that they would not stick to the Euro rules and events.

However, this was not the European Championship. There are certainly no rules regulating national grip championships.

I doubt that Theo would have won if he had competed against the German competitors because of one reason:

Theo started the vbar lifts as last competitor because he can lift heavy weights. In order to have a nice comp and not to destroy the camaraderie with Theo Hermann Korte was judging his attemps very friendly. All attemps of Theo on the vbar would have been rejected by Mr. Korte if he had judged them like the lifts of the German competitors. The German competitors had to wait for the down signal and then lower the weight slowly under control. Theos lifts where judged like in the Europeans - that a "little bit" different.

I hope that I have clarified things and that the discussion will come to an end now! I won't write down any other comments to this thread because it's all clear now and I'm sure it's not worth to discuss this point any longer. We should be happy about a nice competition and do a :bow to the winner!

I prefer to train and not to talk too much about this BS!

First off, i didn't want to start a lot of hassle that is happening right now.. I just felt a bit dissapointed that even though i put out a good comp, i wasn't mentioned. (ego, i know)

Hermann did nothing but a great job, and he kindly handed me a prize too. That was very nice, and ofcourse letting me compete there was also very nice. (although i had to really nag on and on about it, he finally let me...:) )

About the V-bar, i totally disagree with you Burkhard. It's a bit insulting too, since i lifted as you were all my real competition. I lifted with the DOWN signal also, and that is why my 140kg lift was not good. My results were 135 and 140kg. And i DID do it with a hold, otherwise i think i could have done better.

It might have looked like he judged friendly, since no one else was going heavier than 125kg, where i started. I was the only one 'doing' it, and others were not really paying attention, since i was no real competition.

Anyway, Flo was the winner and we pm'ed eachother the results too. The battle is on for the euro and MGC, let's just have fun.