Finger Tip Push Ups

kelby

tearing skin and muscle in self-defense is good, but isn't killing with only your fingers is better? Thats why marial arts train there fingers.

I credited that method in my above post- just not as healthy, to me, as just making the hand muscles stronger. If your job is to kill, you will seldom be doing it with your fingers.

one thing people don't understand is that a finger pushups is for striking/hitting with the fingers and not for grip training. I am a martial artist and I know this.

I don't feel this is true. I've been performing this exercise for some time, and feel it useful for developing everything from fingers to the spine.

Along with stretching, it is something that produces a unique kind of strength and leaves you feeling very healthy.

Fingertip push-ups with fingers straight down is a fine exercise, but by no means the only 'proper' one. As long as the fingers are in a natural ROM, it is proper.

This statement doesn't contradict what I've been saying all along.

Just remember guys if your fingers feel very bad after doing these, you will need to retool your technique.

Being within that natural ROM is the key . Your fnger tips only have about 5% of motion back agianst the knuckle (learned that when I broke my fingertips last year)everyone will have alittle variance but if severe pain is there and not going away after a while your doing more harm than good.

If you want suggestions on finger tip strength I recentley purchased my own set of eagle loops and there great if you can stand the pain during use for pull ups,DLs ,and chin ups. You also don't have to worry about bending your fingers backwards because if you don't have the strength yet to do them you fall to the floor when your fingers straighten.

I agree with the eagle loops. You have a far less chance of injuring yourself and they are a more effective training tool because you can work all three joints in your fingers and isolate them.

The only real way to kill someone with your fingertips is to pierce the trachea. Is that correct?

Are there guys out the training to rip out hearts or something? Kinda like Jim Carey did on I think dumb and dumber when he ripped out the dudes heart and handed it to him in a paper bag? :D

Is there someone on this board that can give me an example of how they train to kill with their fingers?

I know Kempo uses certain target zones and areas to hit that cause paralysis, numbness, freeze up lungs, etc. But how many times in a real fight can someone hit the exact area to the tee and cause a reaction like that. My workout partner just quit his Kempo class for a BJJ school b/c he felt it really didnt work. He is a grappler and choked out the "Master" twice.

I know thats a bit off the fingertip topic.

Edited by LAHotSauce

I wouldn't recommend anyone that isn't under some constant life-or-death threat to spend too much time working on this stuff. :erm

I agree with your friends decision to take up the BJJ. It's a very healthy recreation activity and is sport oriented.

Boxing is another great sport- and a much better chance for keeping you out of prison. ;)

Edited by Gluteus Maximus

I don't know much about martial arts, but the other night on discovery channel there was a program called XMA, extreme martial arts, in which it was said that repeatedly hitting hard objects with your hands (blocks, boards, etc.) increases the density of the bone, thus making them harder. I would think that fingertip pushups are based on the same idea.

/my 2cents

I don't know much about martial arts, but the other night on discovery channel there was a program called XMA, extreme martial arts, in which it was said that repeatedly hitting hard objects with your hands (blocks, boards, etc.) increases the density of the bone, thus making them harder.  I would think that fingertip pushups are based on the same idea.

/my 2cents

I usually do mine on a mat or something soft. I really would like to stress the health and strength [muscular strength] benefits of this great exercise.

Yes, you can make your bones calcify [harder, I don't know]; but I would only do that if it didn't interfere with the other variations of the exercise that make a whole portion of your body stronger in such a unique way.

When working the wrists by performing a version with your hands almost parallel to the floor- it is a little easier on the fingertips, because you're on the pads. Other than that, I'd start on a mat, and determine how hardcore you want to take it after building your strength.

• 2 weeks later...

finger push ups are easy and that's all i know and i weigh 275lbs.

In gripmasters manual, john brookfield recommended doing finger tip levering with plates. That should give you the same results as fingertip pushups with less resistance, and you can control the weight better.

In gripmasters manual, john brookfield recommended doing finger tip levering with plates. That should give you the same results as fingertip pushups with less resistance, and you can control the weight better.

These are also good, but your results will not be the same.