• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• twig

• pdoire

• Number Ten Ox

Wow thanks guys! Alot of strong guys here and they all sound impressed, I'm pretty greatful. I'm still kinda giddy about having done this! I'm going to have to get my brother to video tape this, but it is not a digital camera. Hopefully I'll be able to get a friend of mine who has a digital camera to snap a picture but I don't know when that will be either.

To answer some questions, I only weigh 158lbs. and my only experience with climbing is on "difficult" indoor rock walls. I don't consider myself to have the finger tip strength to be really great at climing (something I want to improve) but can do pullups using one finger in each hand on three out of four of my fingers. Using IM eagle loops I have done one handed pullups (the easy kind) using only 2 fingers.

I'm working on a one handed pullup but that seems a ways away. Hopefully in the near futur I'll close my PDA 280, bend a grade 8, and pinch 2 35s! Pinching 2 35s would probably give me the thumb strength for a single rafter pullup...

damn foggy, im very impressed.....your pressing strength is freakish for your weight, and you represent all of us well...look at this kid closely fellas, we should all take a good hard look and improve on our focus and determination

That's a great feat of grip strength, foggy! Congrats :bow

Well done Fog !

:bow Way to go Foggy impressive stuff! :mosher

getting stronger man :bow nice avatar :yikes

Michael,

Awesome performance at night of Strength and way to follow it up with a huge Pinch PR.

Did you get video?

-Jedd-

Michael,

Awesome performance at night of Strength and way to follow it up with a huge Pinch PR. 

Did you get video?

-Jedd-

No I don't think I'll have video. Luckily my brother was going to shoot some pictures either today or tomarrow. We should be able to burn through it because it has stuff from the Arnold on it. When we get it developed we'll have the pictures on a CD and I'll easily be able to up load them. This may take while but I want to make sure I have some proof behind this given the amount of attention this topic has generated.

Oh yeah, my forearms are sore from having done the rafter pullups! :D

I'm new to the gripboard and am not really clear on the terminology... when you say rafter pullup how wide is the thing your holding... Like as thick the top of a door frame (1/2") or like a couple inches wide.

I just wonder because for years whenever i got bored at the gym i would do sets of pullups on any machine that had a square/rectangular(about 1 1/2 or 2" wide) beam where my fingers would just be on top of the beam not wrapped around... Is that a rafter pullup or is it when you have something as thin as a door frame?

Edited by philthy

philthy

a rafter pull-up is done by pinching the bottom of the rafter and doing a pull-up. if your fingers are hooked over the top, it's a very different (and much, much easier) exercise. doing chin-ups while your fingers are hooked on the edge of a thin doorframe/climbing hold is usually called a finger-tip chin-up.

look how the hands are positioned in this photo that should help you get the idea. to see some absolutely incredible rafter pulling, look for "Brad Johnson" in the video gallery. newton's laws seem to act differently on him than they do on the rest of us.

congratulations on your first rafter pull-up foggy!

-jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Got a photo! :rock

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=2143

Image reducing should not be as big a pain in the ass as it was for me but it will make this less painless in the future. With so many people commenting on this topic and my claimed feat, I was very eagered to get a picture uploaded.

Foggy nice work bro, I tried it the other day and was no where close. I'm about 210lbs with clothes and stood on the scale and tried to pull myself up with my rafters. I think I only got the scale down to at the most 100-120lbs.

When you first started how much were you pulling off the ground of your body weight? I should've tried it bent arm but I forgot all about doing it that way. I just wanted to know how far off I am from the mythical "Rafter Pullup" that is in my list of goals, lol.

Foggy nice work bro, I tried it the other day and was no where close. I'm about 210lbs with clothes and stood on the scale and tried to pull myself up with my rafters. I think I only got the scale down to at the most 100-120lbs.

When you first started how much were you pulling off the ground of your body weight? I should've tried it bent arm but I forgot all about doing it that way. I just wanted to know how far off I am from the mythical "Rafter Pullup" that is in my list of goals, lol.

The first time I tried it, with the scale which is actually the second time, I got the scale down to 21lbs. Definately try it bent arm, in fact don't let your arms completely extend at any point. What will happen is that you will lose the pressure you are applying with your bicep and tricep. You want to work the strongest position because if you can hang from the boards, you got your foot in the door. As you get closer to being able to do it, I reccomend negatives. Grip hard, jump up and try to slow you fall. As you get better you slow so much that you stop! Oh yeah and start out with 2 rafters wide (one rafter inbetween the two you are gripping) this is easier but not far off from the single wide double rafter.