No Set Close Vs. Set Close - What Can You Do?

Scott Styles

I have closed a Cert GM that was in a hose clamp set at 1".

TNS-Cert SM, PDA280, Filed #2, Short #2 (handles 1/2" shorter)-I listed all of these because they were all about the same level difficulty-wise. The filed #2 was extremely filed. The PDA280 was probably just a tad harder than the rest. About easy #3 level.

Hand length-7.87"

I ONLY train TNS.

My numbers are up a bit from when I only trained TNS.

Have MMS closed: MM2 (for a double), RB300, RB330N, a few Elites.

TNS closed: a few #3s and a few GMs and 2 easy Elites.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• pdoire

• ishred

• bencrush

man this is ackward following bencrush with his #3's, elites, and RB300 & RB330's, but:

TNS: #1

CCS: BBSA

hand size: 7.5"

Good numbers GoJu. You'll get stronger just keep banging away at it. :cool

TNS: Filed #1 for reps

MMS: #2 15 reps

Hand size: 7 1/4

Never train NS need to start though.

Edited by PowerHouse

hands 8''ish, slightly bigger

set: my HG400 or #3

TNS: a #2 with both ends of it filed.

i don't own anything in between a #2 and a #3.

• 2 weeks later...

i can NS #2.

i use my other hand to close it a 1/4in. so i could get my pinky around the gripper.my hand is 7 3/4in. i only practice NS as i do not know the proper technique to cc or mms the gripper as i have know access to video of such.

i can NS #2.

i use my other hand to close it a 1/4in. so i could get my pinky around the gripper.my hand is 7 3/4in. i only practice NS as i do not know the proper technique to cc or mms the gripper as i have know access to video of such.

most of the time, all i do for a set is push on the handle away from my closing hand with index and thumb of my free hand for a little at the start of the close, this way is very easy to do - just pinch the thumb and index finger together an give it a little push as you start the close

Edited by viper

i can NS #2.

most of the time, all i do for a set is push on the handle away from my closing hand with index and thumb of my free hand for a little at the start of the close, this way is very easy to do - just pinch the thumb and index finger together an give it a little push as you start the close

thanks. i actually use my index and thumb to push on the handle to get the gripper started then its set in my gripper hand then i close it.....hopefully

:tongue

When i can mms a gripper for a few reps, i'll work my way to NS'ing it.

TNS a double filed #2

Can almost close my SM with a MM set.

Hand size, 7 1/2"

Edited by TomY

MM1 dud that is smack between a 3 and 4? Sounds closer to an MM3 or MM4 level.

I have a gripper with an elite spring that is about that hard or close, but the damn spring is set flush with the handles.

The handle on my Elite is set that deeply that it touches the bottom of the spring during the close! :blink

Spread is a hair wider then 2 3/4".

I have a gripper with an elite spring that is about that hard or close, but the damn spring is set flush with the handles.

The handle on my Elite is set that deeply that it touches the bottom of the spring during the close! :blink

...but it still pales to my #4.

Makes sense Timmy. I have a gripper with an elite spring that is around that hard, set higher though.

No set: BBE

MMS Set: MM5

Hands: I think a little over 8.5"

I used to do no sets for approx the first 10-12 months of training then learned it was considered 'ok' by the gripsters to use a set. Now I pretty much only do no setting when I am anchoring/holding the spring w/other hand.

...but it still pales to my #4.

thats how the original #3 i got is, its rediculously low to be honest, the under side of the spring is marked up because of the handles grinding on it