No Set Close Vs. Set Close - What Can You Do?

Scott Styles

1. What's the hardest gripper you can close with a set?

Very filed old #2 or Very hard 2004 #2

2. What's the hardest gripper you can close no-set?

HG250

3. How long is your hand?

6 14/16 inches

4. Do you train the no-set close?

Yes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• pdoire

• ishred

• bencrush

Best no set: filed #2, w/set: supermaster. Hand size 7.75". Train both with and without set, about 50/50.

I can no-set close 2004 #2 (rep it 11 times)

with my right hand . and no-set close it with my

left hand . I don't have any other gripper .

I train only no-set style

Hand size: 8 3/8 .

Data Updated:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110280260..._1102866248.jpg

Plot Updated

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110280260..._1102866359.jpg

mithras, where would you rate your HG250 relative to a #2? I've been ranking them as a 2.5, but it varies by gripper. Since you are no setting the HG250 and setting the #2, I assume it is easier than a 2?

Based on this data so far, it looks like we can conclude 2 things. As the hand gets bigger, the ability to no-set close goes up. Training also appears to make the ability to no-set close go up.

What is unclear is if training reduces the impact of hand size on no-set close strength. I would have thought yes, but that isn't what our graph shows. However, before I added these most recent data points, it was showing that. I don't think we have enough data to make a conclusive decision.

One thought on the data - by ranking everyone's no-set close relative to their set close, then comparing the percentages, we are able to minimize the vaugeness that comes with estimating gripper difficulty. I was going to try to use the data to plot hand size to gripper difficulty, but realized 2 problems with it:

1. Everyone ranks the grippers differently

2. The measureing system we are using isn't linear. The gap between the 1-2 is smaller than that between the 2-3 or 3-4.

Edited by Scott Styles

Scott, awesome work on the graphs! I'm enjoying them as I'm a bit of a numbers man myself. I've printed off some copies for myself and a few friends. Thanks! :bow

Last week i no set closed my 2004 IM # 1 and 2, i just got received them. That was tuesday, and today is sunday. Haven't been able to repeat that on the #2. My hands are so sore....

Scott,

Outstanding work on the graphs. You've got one thing right for certain...too little data to draw any conclusions.

mithras, where would you rate your HG250 relative to a #2? I've been ranking them as a 2.5, but it varies by gripper. Since you are no setting the HG250 and setting the #2, I assume it is easier than a 2?

it's a newer heavygrips one, with a narrower spread. it's slightly harder than a normal number two in the sweep, but the smaller spread makes it a lot easier to shut with my small hands and fingers (6 .875 inches), i guess i'd rate it a 1.9.

Like i said, the 2004 #2 i have is pretty hard, i'd rate it a 2.2 or something compared to others i've tried - ah thats what you've put on your data anyway

:)

1. What's the hardest gripper you can close with a set?

#2 CoC

2. What's the hardest gripper you can close no-set?

#2 CoC
3. How long is your hand?

20-21 cm.

4. Do you train the no-set close?

Yes.

Well, if I understand 'no set' correctly, I can't even no set the trainer! (haven't tried other grippers with a no set).

But - I think I could do it with practice and time. I can get my fingers around it and get some closure. Interesting challenge for me, not very comfortable. After I tried doing that, I did get the #1 much closer than before (with a set). Coincidence?

I'm going to keep working on this no set thing, it will be fun.

Hand size: 6.25"

Well, if I understand 'no set' correctly, I can't even no set the trainer! (haven't tried other grippers with a no set).

But - I think I could do it with practice and time. I can get my fingers around it and get some closure. Interesting challenge for me, not very comfortable. After I tried doing that, I did get the #1 much closer than before (with a set). Coincidence?

I'm going to keep working on this no set thing, it will be fun.

Hand size: 6.25"

dude....how do you even reach the handle with your fingers on a no-set?? mine get to one side, but not around the top, and your hand is almost an 1" smaller. i would love to see a pic of that.

3.2 set

2.5 no-set

7 3/4 inch

yes

dude....how do you even reach the handle with your fingers on a no-set?? mine get to one side, but not around the top, and your hand is almost an 1" smaller. i would love to see a pic of that.

I kind of had to wiggle them around it, starting near the top and 'walking' the fingers toward the end. Like I said, I may not have the concept right, but even if I don't, it's still quite a challenge!!

I suppose I could get pics of it tonight, if there's anyone free.

I kind of had to wiggle them around it, starting near the top and 'walking' the fingers toward the end. Like I said, I may not have the concept right, but even if I don't, it's still quite a challenge!!

I suppose I could get pics of it tonight, if there's anyone free.

holy crap man...that must be tough. I really don't see that it would be possible for you to do a credit close like ironmind's rule say since you probably can't even open the gripper to a credit card width while holding onto it.

a no-set is when you just grab the gripper with the hand that you are going to close it with and close it.

a set would be placing the gripper in your hand with your free hand and squeezing the gripper with both hands until the handles are about parallel in order to get maximum leverage. then release the other hand and close.

holy crap man...that must be tough. I really don't see that it would be possible for you to do a credit close like ironmind's rule say since you probably can't even open the gripper to a credit card width while holding onto it.

a no-set is when you just grab the gripper with the hand that you are going to close it with and close it.

a set would be placing the gripper in your hand with your free hand and squeezing the gripper with both hands until the handles are about parallel in order to get maximum leverage. then release the other hand and close.

Is it tough? Yeah, I suppose so. It's not really something I think about, you know? It's just not worth it to me to think about what I can't do, or possibly can't do, or oh that's hard to do. That is possibly cliche, but that's pretty much it. If I go around letting people set my limits for me, I don't think I'd get very far!!! :)

My ultimate gripper goal is to close the #2, and that by itself may take me a good long while, so the whole credit card rule thing doesn't bother me.

And uhm, you're just cracking me up here with your salutations! I put a post in my blog just for you. Enjoy :D

hands: 7 1/2

tns left hand: im trainer,im #1

set left hand: im trainer, im #1 still not have closed the #2 completely

tnsright hand: im trainer,#1

set right hand:im trainer,#1,#2 and hairline from the hg250 :angry:

Rawrin, finish off the #1 and no-set your trainer so we can use your data, dudette.

FrankyBoy, what are the grippers you closed for the 2.5 and 3.2? One of the nice side effects of this is to give people an idea of what grippers might be in the range they are looking for.

Updated data:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110280260..._1102958298.jpg

Updated plot:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110280260..._1102958361.jpg

Is it tough? Yeah, I suppose so. It's not really something I think about, you know? It's just not worth it to me to think about what I can't do, or possibly can't do, or oh that's hard to do. That is possibly cliche, but that's pretty much it. If I go around letting people set my limits for me, I don't think I'd get very far!!! :)

My ultimate gripper goal is to close the #2, and that by itself may take me a good long while, so the whole credit card rule thing doesn't bother me.

And uhm, you're just cracking me up here with your salutations! I put a post in my blog just for you. Enjoy :D

HAHAHAAH , sorry, didn't realize you were a chick...

I call everyone "dude" or "man" anyway. I call people older than me "kid"..."yea, that kid did this"...the usual reaction is..."but he's 40 years old, why are you calling him kid". :D

• 1 year later...

Saw this in Scott's gallery, looked like an interesting idea. It'd be neat to see how things have changed for everyone.

1. Hard MM1 dud (smack between a 3 and 4)

2. Filed #3

3. 7 and 7/8th's inches

4. Yes.

MM1 dud that is smack between a 3 and 4? Sounds closer to an MM3 or MM4 level.

I have a gripper with an elite spring that is about that hard or close, but the damn spring is set flush with the handles.

TNS: RB180 comfortably

MMS: 100000000000th of an inch away from BBGM!

Hands: 7 7/8

Train TNS most of the time but currently taking a break from it. Training towards hearing the click on the BBGM.

(MMS seems to be about 0.5 of CoC scale better than TNS for me on both hands)

best no set is a triple on this hg400 http://youtube.com/watch?v=HOPp2enJe80

best set work is probably this #3 triple http://youtube.com/watch?v=MpIaOKMARLg

both grippers have not been seasoned an only been used a couple of times, the #3 has 3in spread, an the hg400 has 2 7/8

i measured my hands i think twice before with a tape an thought they were 8 5/8, but must not have done it right cuss a ruler says there only 8 2/8

i measured my hands i think twice before with a tape an thought they were 8 5/8, but must not have done it right cuss a ruler says there only 8 2/8

AKA: 8 and 1/4". :tongue

best no set: 2

best set: BBSM

hand size: 8"

tns occassionally. i don't work with grippers much.