No Set Close Vs. Set Close - What Can You Do?

Scott Styles

Hand measurement: 7 5/8" best I can tell. The crease doesn't exactly run straight across

Table No-set: #2: 11 reps, let each one out fully but didn't set the gripper down. I would guess I could do my brother's BBSM because I'm about 1/8" away on no-setting the #3

Set: closed my MM1dud (significantly harder than my MM2dud) a couple of times but I haven't closed it in a couple of months. Consistently, it would be my MM2 dud.

Cool project btw

I don't train no-set

Edited by jad

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• pdoire

• ishred

• bencrush

Hand Size: 8"

Table No Set: Cut #2

Set: #3 on a good day

Train No set: post IM rule change

-Sean

Hand size is 7 3/4"

No set - COC #2

HG 300

PDA 262

Set

COC #3 every once in a while.

I don't train with a set very often. Actually haven't trained grippers specificlly very much.

So in the thread discussing optimal no-set close method here:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=11539

the question arose of how does hand size impact no-set vs. set strengh.  What I'd like to know is:

1. What's the hardest gripper you can close with a set?

2. What's the hardest gripper you can close no-set?

3. How long is your hand?

4. Do you train the no-set close?

I can no set close a BBSA(1.2), set close a PDA243(1.5), and my hands are7".

1. BBE

2. GM

3. 8 3/8"

4. No

・Hand size 8"

・No set - COC#3(made in 2002 or 2003)

・Set - BBE sometimes in very good condition.

・I've not trained no set.

Cool Chart should be a good refernce point for future arguments. I DO train the no set by the way. Before starting to train the no-set I was repping a #2 but was way off no setting a coc 1.

7 3/8 hand

I have closed 2 different #3's with a 1" spacer stuck between the handles after a pause. I have 2 more #3's I just got that I just closed with an unmeasured set (probably too deep)

I have closed a #2 with either hand (one of the new ones) no-set (2.7 spread) I am no where near closing the wide spread #2's with no-set.

I see no sence in using a credit card set. In my case the gripper is in no mans land around 1.5-2 inches I would rather no-set it. I can do the same thing. At that point the handle has already slid back off my thumb pad and leverage is lost. You will NEVER see me use a full width credit card set.

Edit: I do train no-sets usually at the end of my workout. When I started back up on grippers it felt like I was getting a huge carry over from no-set to set. I start back up with no-set only. Once I saw how close I was to setting #3 I started sets again. Since I am pursueing Mash Monster........a 1'-parralel set is standard in my training.

Edited by GarytheDino

Observation on updated chart:

All those who train no-set...have the lowest no-set strength.

Those who train with set have the highest no-set and set strength.

So does training no set really help you get better at them?

I never considered "setting" the grippers until I started to see the videos on this site. I just pick them up, grab the spring with my left hand, seat it nicely on my thumb pad, let go with the left hand and squeeze. I've tried to close the grippers by squeezing them a bit like in the videos and can't. I find it harder. The only grippers I have are the COC Trainer, #1 and the HG 250 and 300. I can close all of them but the 300...that one I get just passed parallel. I'm 33 years old, 5'8", 165 lbs and have 7 5/8" hands. The only way I train is no set. By setting I take it you mean partially closing the gripper with your support hand...if i'm wrong let me know and pay no attention to what I wrote...sorry but I'm new... :unsure

By setting I take it you mean partially closing the gripper with your support hand...if i'm wrong let me know and pay no attention to what I wrote...sorry but I'm new... :unsure

Yes, you are correct, there is technique involved also that requires plenty of practice to develop to the utmost.

I updated the data to include a numerical estimate of difficulty relative to an average COC gripper. Please correct me if I have your particular grippers wrong. I realize it's impossible to be perfectly precise or accurate, but if we want to do any sort of analysis we need a way to compare the different strength levels.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110280260..._1102803731.jpg

I updated the data to include a numerical estimate of difficulty relative to an average COC gripper.  Please correct me if I have your particular grippers wrong.  I realize it's impossible to be perfectly precise or accurate, but if we want to do any sort of analysis we need a way to compare the different strength levels.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110280260..._1102803731.jpg

Scott,

My new cert SM is a 2.7 and my new HG300 is probably 2.8-2.9

This probably applies to most...but the real older HG300's which were

harder than the #3's

Paul

Pdoire, I updated your HG300 difficulty to a 2.85. I currently have you down as no setting a BBM as your hardest gripper. Is that correct? Or is it the 2.7 SM you refer to in your post above?

I like the charts. Do I understand this to mean that so far the ones that train no-sets also have a better set close?

Pdoire, I updated your HG300 difficulty to a 2.85.  I currently have you down as no setting a BBM as your hardest gripper.  Is that correct?  Or is it the 2.7 SM you refer to in your post above?

The BBM is correct...I haven't even tried a no set in quite a while.

I have TNSed my SM (2.7-2.8), but I would go with a filed #2 for me for the TNS. I am on a hit or miss basis with the #3 at the moment with a standard set.

Hand size 8''

Havent trained grippers in about 6 months, starting again. I train for both sets and no sets.

Scott,

Since this thread started I have tried no-set again and I can do

the IM#2..up a tad from the BBM..Sorry for the delay..I wanted to

give you up to date info..my set close was much more current.

As of right now I can no-set the BBSM with my right hand and come to about 1" with my left hand. I don't practice no-set that often though. My hands measure out at only 7" from first crease in wrist to the tip of my middle finger. :whacked

As of right now I can no-set the BBSM with my right hand and come to about 1" with my left hand.  I don't practice no-set that often though.  My hands measure out at only 7" from first crease in wrist to the tip of my middle finger. :whacked

He is also looking for your with set strength to compare the two in chart format.

As far as set goes, I can set-close my #3 from parallel with my right hand but I am VERY inconsistent right now to really consider it.

Edited by ironorr

I have closed a Cert GM that was in a hose clamp set at 1".

TNS-Cert SM, PDA280, Filed #2, Short #2 (handles 1/2" shorter)-I listed all of these because they were all about the same level difficulty-wise. The filed #2 was extremely filed. The PDA280 was probably just a tad harder than the rest. About easy #3 level.

Hand length-7.87"

I ONLY train TNS.