Gripper Variences

GarytheDino

I didn't want to let the cat outta the bag, but reading this thread....

I just talked to Dr. Strossen a couple weeks ago, and he challenged me to compare the #3 grippers and to see if they are NOW benchmarked.  I took him up on it and ordered 4 new #3's.

I am currently evaulating the 2nd one and so far I haffta admit - it's a lot like the first.  Double-stamped, spring set into the handle the same, same width and both are stinking tough!!  I am posting my findings and conclusions on the FI forum.

Grippers vary, period.

And IM agree's:

"The first lesson is that you should expect some variation, along the lines of an uncalibrated plate, and it certainly doesn’t take a mechanical engineer to realize that you wouldn’t reasonably expect a $20 hand gripper to have the precision of, for example, a $250 medical-grade hand dynamometer."

You've been around a long time Snott. Frankly, I don't even know why you would buy this many 3's and do this. :blink

Sybersnott, are you able to close all of your brand new #3s?  I bought one this year and it was insane hard.  I had to trade it to someone who had a chance of closing it because I honestly think that I wouldn't be able to close it in my lifetime.  It was that much harder than any #3 I had seen at that time.

Close it 100 times fully (chest crush if you have to, lubricate it, and then report back if it is still as nasty hard.

Close it 100 times fully (chest crush if you have to, lubricate it,  and then report back if it is still as nasty hard.

I'm going to take some time doing this, Bill. And yes, you are right, grippers vary. BUT... Strossen is "challenging" me to compare 4 random grippers to see if they mirror each other NOW (not grippers that have been manufactured in the past). I am working on a seasoning process right now -- my evaluation might take another two months or so.

Close it 100 times fully (chest crush if you have to, lubricate it,  and then report back if it is still as nasty hard.

I'm going to take some time doing this, Bill. And yes, you are right, grippers vary. BUT... Strossen is "challenging" me to compare 4 random grippers to see if they mirror each other NOW (not grippers that have been manufactured in the past). I am working on a seasoning process right now -- my evaluation might take another two months or so.

If they are from the same spring batch coming off the spool, and the machines are making them correctly, they should be pretty close to each other.

Thats what I observed lately too.

The best way to test them is all at once. Your strength will vary a lot from day to day. Sleep, stress, food, just plain old body rhythm. Open them all, number them 1,2,3,4 and compare them. They will all very some I bet, if they didn't we;

A: wouldn't have as much fun trying to close different grippers, a gripper would just be a gripper.

B: wouldn't get to make a post about gripper variances at least once a year and have everyone agree about one topic once a year, grippers vary.

trossen is "challenging" me to compare 4 random grippers to see if they mirror each other NOW

LMAO ~ ! A salesman at work,

RS"Buy 4 and tell what you think, I guarantee you'l be satified"

JH "OK, I bought 4 new grippers and they still vary!"

RS "Well here, buy 4 more and try again"

JH "That sounds like a good idea, here's another 80 bucks"

:flame

trossen is "challenging" me to compare 4 random grippers to see if they mirror each other NOW

Darco, give Snott some credit, he's not that dumb. Strossen would have to DOUBLE DOG dare him to buy 4 more. Strossen is that crafty though........

:whistel:flame:whistel

You should try to compare the grippers without knowing which one you are using. If the first time you try one and you are having a bad day you might think that that one is very hard. That could poison your mind about that gripper, so on a good day because you previously thought it was hard, you may still think its hard.

After seasoning them you should number them so you can't see the numbers, but someone else could. Then take all your grippers and lay them down from easiest to strongest. Have a friend/loved one then record the order that you said, but you can't know. Do this a few times and see how often you wrote down the same numbers and that will tell you how similar they are. You may be quite suprised to find there is almost no pattern to your numbers, or you might have the exact same thing written down each time.

I'm telling Dr. Strossen what you said and that you made fun of me! :cry

Result: YOU'LL NEVER GET TO ORDER ANYTHING FROM IRONMIND EVER AGAIN! :ohmy:(

Try that on for size, Mr. Laughing Boy! I have now completely ruined YOUR Christmas!! Ho Ho Ho Oh No!!! :blink

Sincerely,

"Scrooge" Sybersnott :D

Darco, give Snott some credit, he's not that dumb.  Strossen would have to DOUBLE DOG dare him to buy 4 more.  Strossen is that crafty though........ 

You tell him, Heath! I may be stupid but I'm not dumb. :blink

BTW, Strossen DID double dog dare me.... but I didn't fall for it. I told him I only make ONE monthly purchase to IronMind - THAT'S ALL! :happy

After thinking about this topic, I was wondering, for a heavy duty gripper priced at 20$, do you feel that variances between IM's grippers is acceptable or unacceptable? Let's just assume that IM could immeadiately change their accuracy based on what you think is a fair price for accuracy for cost.

I'm telling Dr. Strossen what you said and that you made fun of me! :cry

Result: YOU'LL NEVER GET TO ORDER ANYTHING FROM IRONMIND EVER AGAIN! :ohmy:(

Try that on for size, Mr. Laughing Boy! I have now completely ruined YOUR Christmas!! Ho Ho Ho Oh No!!! :blink

Sincerely,

"Scrooge" Sybersnott :D

Oddly Enought, I e-mailed Strossen telling him that I was boycotting his products last year (After the rule change). You cant rape the willing Snott.