I'm Gonna Buy 2 Hand Grippers - Can You Help Me Please ?

gilad12

Hello everyone,

I can close the HG150 few times. I know this is junk and now i want to buy high quality grippers.

So 2 questions :

1. Should i order GHP or Ironmind ?

2. Which rating ? Do you recommend ordering 90lb and 150lb hand grippers ?

( I already have store bought cheap gripper for warming up).

Edited by gilad12

1. It doesn't matter, both are high quality. So are Tetting grippers as well.

2. IM #1 and 1.5 or other quality brand grippers of equal rating. 150 lbs would be IM #3 and it is not a gripper for a beginner.

• Like 1

Im #1 and #1.5 would be good for you I think. 150 lbs would be way too hard for you at the moment.

Try those 2, and take it from there.

You might also want to buy Im #2 just for a challenge.

Anything from 90lbs to 110-120 lbs would be fine, after that it might he a little too hard for you at the moment.

• Like 1

If you go with GHP I say the levels 2 or 3 may be what you need. If you go with the IronMind grippers, stay with the #1 and #1.5, don't skip right to the #3 just yet (I did that myself and it took years for me to close that thing).

• Like 1

If you go with GHP I say the levels 2 or 3 may be what you need. If you go with the IronMind grippers, stay with the #1 and #1.5, don't skip right to the #3 just yet (I did that myself and it took years for me to close that thing).

1. It doesn't matter, both are high quality. So are Tetting grippers as well.

2. IM #1 and 1.5 or other quality brand grippers of equal rating. 150 lbs would be IM #3 and it is not a gripper for a beginner.

Im #1 and #1.5 would be good for you I think. 150 lbs would be way too hard for you at the moment.

Try those 2, and take it from there.

You might also want to buy Im #2 just for a challenge.

Anything from 90lbs to 110-120 lbs would be fine, after that it might he a little too hard for you at the moment.

Thanks !

Id say a 1, 1.5 and 2. I know you said two grippers but the #2 is a great milestone to get to.

If you want to try the GHP then go with the 3, 4 and 5. The GHP5 is like a stout #2!.

If you can afford the extra $ go with GHP they are just so nice. I love that the finger-side has smoother knurling than the palm side.

Both brands have top notch springs.

The GHP2 will prob be a bit lighter than what you have with the HG150

Id say a 1, 1.5 and 2. I know you said two grippers but the #2 is a great milestone to get to.

If you want to try the GHP then go with the 3, 4 and 5. The GHP5 is like a stout #2!.

If you can afford the extra $ go with GHP they are just so nice. I love that the finger-side has smoother knurling than the palm side.

But there is only 10 pound diference between #1 and #1.5.. Should i go with #1 and #2 instead of 1 and 1.5?

ten pounds is a big difference for the hands if it is near your max.

Buying the 1 and 2 is a good choise though.

• Like 1

There was nothing in between #2 (my first real gripper) and #3 at my disposal when I worked from #2 to #3 so the jump from #1 to #2 should not be that troublesome. You can make it without the #1.5. However, looking back I think it would have been easier if I had something between the #2 and #3.

Going up from #3 it really does help to have several Elites, several #3.5's and Super Elites.

• Like 2

But there is only 10 pound diference between #1 and #1.5.. Should i go with #1 and #2 instead of 1 and 1.5?

not too long ago, i was where you are now. i highly recommend getting the 1 and 1.5. you will get much more out of those 2 right now and in the near future than you will get out of the 1 and 2. in fact, making the jump from the 1 to the 2 will be difficult without something in between.

think of it this way, the jump between the 1 and 1.5 is about a 15% increase. if your bench max was 300 pounds, a 15% jump would be to 345. treat your grip maxes the same as other maxes. they may seem like small jumps but % wise they are pretty big.

Edited by bubba29

not too long ago, i was where you are now. i highly recommend getting the 1 and 1.5. you will get much more out of those 2 right now and in the near future than you will get out of the 1 and 2. in fact, making the jump from the 1 to the 2 will be difficult without something in between.

think of it this way, the jump between the 1 and 1.5 is about a 15% increase. if your bench max was 300 pounds, a 15% jump would be to 345. treat your grip maxes the same as other maxes. they may seem like small jumps but % wise they are pretty big.

I think much has to do with starting strength and variation in grippers. My journey from #2 to #2.5 was six months but #1 to #2 was only 3 weeks or so. I'll throw an opposing opinion recommending the higher gripper. Perhaps you should take a look at IM's posted numbers. Not so much the actual numbers...as the difference between grippers. http://www.ironmind....insofcrush.html

You'll notice that from #2 on up...all the posted gaps are 40+'lbs.

• Like 1

I think much has to do with starting strength and variation in grippers. My journey from #2 to #2.5 was six months but #1 to #2 was only 3 weeks or so. I'll throw an opposing opinion recommending the higher gripper. Perhaps you should take a look at IM's posted numbers. Not so much the actual numbers...as the difference between grippers. http://www.ironmind....insofcrush.html

You'll notice that from #2 on up...all the posted gaps are 40+'lbs.

his base strength is that he can close a few times a HG150 which probably rates around 55-60.

Edited by bubba29
  • Like 1

Ah...ok. I'll have to take your word for it as I don't believe that my hand and an HG have ever met.

• Like 1

Ah...ok. I'll have to take your word for it as I don't believe that my hand and an HG have ever met.

that is just what he said and a rating of an hg 150 i found. i started slow. mastered the Trainer, then got the 1 and mastered it, then got the 1.5 and mastered that. bsaed on his baseline, the 2 might be too tough to have any use right now.

• Like 1

that is just what he said and a rating of an hg 150 i found. i started slow. mastered the Trainer, then got the 1 and mastered it, then got the 1.5 and mastered that. bsaed on his baseline, the 2 might be too tough to have any use right now.

That's why i'm taking #1 and #2.. right?

Many of the people on this forum are a bit obsessed with grippers, don't get me wrong that includes me, but what it can mean is that we are very keen to give advice that involves buying a lot of grippers because looking back we wish we'd bought more training tools sooner so that we could have progressed faster.

However, if you're new to grip, there's a chance that you might not stick at it long enough to make buying 3 or 4 grippers worthwhile (especially if money's a bit tight). My first grippers were the #1 and #2, I closed the #1 TNS out of the packet and when I could do about 10 reps I bought the #2 and closed that out of the packet too, it took about 2 months.

In my opinion you will be fine with just the #1 and #2, but it might take you a bit longer to reach the strength needed to close the #2 than if you had a #1.5 to bridge the gap. Again, just my thoughts, there are a lot of people who've posted above who have a lot more experience and knowledge than me!

• Like 1

Many of the people on this forum are a bit obsessed with grippers, don't get me wrong that includes me, but what it can mean is that we are very keen to give advice that involves buying a lot of grippers because looking back we wish we'd bought more training tools sooner so that we could have progressed faster.

However, if you're new to grip, there's a chance that you might not stick at it long enough to make buying 3 or 4 grippers worthwhile (especially if money's a bit tight). My first grippers were the #1 and #2, I closed the #1 TNS out of the packet and when I could do about 10 reps I bought the #2 and closed that out of the packet too, it took about 2 months.

In my opinion you will be fine with just the #1 and #2, but it might take you a bit longer to reach the strength needed to close the #2 than if you had a #1.5 to bridge the gap. Again, just my thoughts, there are a lot of people who've posted above who have a lot more experience and knowledge than me!

I don't have any problem with the costs... I just don't want to buy a gripper

i don't need.. It looks like #1.5 will be a nice bridge between #1 and #2 so i will

probably order it as well.

I believe i will stick with the hand grippers, i'm a power lifter as well.

Edited by gilad12

The #1.5 is a good investment. It didnt take me long to get to the #2 with my right hand, but with my left hand it took forever, and without the #1.5 to help me along the way, it might not have happened.