How Many Singles?

Magnus Gustafsson

My routine of late has mainly been sets of 5 with a gripper I can close unassisted for a couple of reps supplemented with a few assisted singles with my challenge gripper. This has gotten me to within 2mm of No-set closing the #2.5.

Progress has now stalled for a couple of weeks and I am considering switching to all singles to break out of the plateau.

Any recommendations on the number of singles per workout and/or distribution between work gripper and challenge gripper?

Thanks!

I had excellent results doing 10 singles per workout with my goal gripper with at least 10 minutes rest between singles. You don't have to rest as long between squeezes but that worked well for me.

I remember the first time i closed my #3, i did yard work for about 6 hours then came in the house and BAM with authority too. try some manual labor to get you over a hump. it worked for me in the past. and do you squats too. that always works.

Parris

My routine of late has mainly been sets of 5 with a gripper I can close unassisted for a couple of reps supplemented with a few assisted singles with my challenge gripper. This has gotten me to within 2mm of No-set closing the #2.5.

Progress has now stalled for a couple of weeks and I am considering switching to all singles to break out of the plateau.

Any recommendations on the number of singles per workout and/or distribution between work gripper and challenge gripper?

Thanks!

Hey man congrats on getting that 2.5 down to 2mm!

As far as advice goes, I would drop the reps down. If you are trying to maximize strength to be able to close a gripper once, focus on 1-2 rep sets max! Start your warm up with 2 sets of 2 w/ your 1.5. After that, do 1 set of 1 with your #2. Finish with one set with your 2.5 and you should smash it closed! After you reach your max, than go to your five rep count or three rep count. I would close that 2.5 of yours before you start worrying about multiple sets of singles :D

What you can also do is incorporate power days or ME (max effort)days which would include your low rep high set count days, and include days with either higher reps or just go for max closes on a gripper. I would do like your #1 for max reps with a parallel set and thats all for that day. Give these examples a try and just remember to keep switching things and make sure to never fail on a close! Always shut it with the opposite hand, this way you are succeeding all the time :)

All the best in your training,

NJ

Thanks for the suggestions guys, very appreciated!

I think I will start with Malice's approach and see how it works out.

Parris,

Completely agree, I realized some months ago what a difference squats make for grip. For me, I estimate it's worth at least 10%.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, very appreciated!

I think I will start with Malice's approach and see how it works out.

Parris,

Completely agree, I realized some months ago what a difference squats make for grip. For me, I estimate it's worth at least 10%.

Thanks again!

I had a high rep and weight thumb day in the morning and a Pinch PR of 230# on the euro later that night, and then today when i squatted, and my tendons on the underside of my arm were really burnin, so it stresses them alot its like a grip workout when your not even trying.

rico

• 2 years later...
I had excellent results doing 10 singles per workout with my goal gripper with at least 10 minutes rest between singles. You don't have to rest as long between squeezes but that worked well for me.

How many times a week were you doing that workout?