Wrist Roller Pr (video) Does Any One Do This Style?

rico300zx

Well this is something I havent messed with for months so I figured on making a video. there had been a lot of wrist roller talk a little wile ago about how and whats the best, The first vid i show how i do it, and use some decent weight (for my warm up) to show everyone that this is a safe and fun way of doing this exersize.

The second vid i show my new PR. 5x #45 plates. and actually it felt pretty good and have killer tendonitus and tennis elbow right now in my left arm ( you can see my grip lags a little from it on my left hand). i guess you can still do this exersize with that injury. I was also wondering how many of you do this beside Steve Gardener (mobster) and what you think it might be good for if anything except oooh and ahhhh?

Parris

Wrist roller 4x45 plates and how to setup

Wrist roller 5x45 plates new PR

Well this is something I havent messed with for months so I figured on making a video. there had been a lot of wrist roller talk a little wile ago about how and whats the best, The first vid i show how i do it, and use some decent weight (for my warm up) to show everyone that this is a safe and fun way of doing this exersize.

The second vid i show my new PR. 5x #45 plates. and actually it felt pretty good and have killer tendonitus and tennis elbow right now in my left arm ( you can see my grip lags a little from it on my left hand). i guess you can still do this exersize with that injury. I was also wondering how many of you do this beside Steve Gardener (mobster) and what you think it might be good for if anything except oooh and ahhhh?

Parris

Wrist roller 4x45 plates and how to setup

Wrist roller 5x45 plates new PR

Very Nice! You're quite strong.

Would you say having such strong wrists has helped somewhat w/ grippers?

I wouldn't necessarily say in closing power, but giving stabilization which helps the close.

I've noticed that training w/ grippers right after any wrist curling / reverse wrist curl motion (for the wrist flexors or extensors) takes away power / control on the grippers.

Edited by DannyGrip

hey Danny

yea thats kinda my question for you guys. im not really sure what wrist rolling directly correlates to. well im sure its gotta help wirh thick bar and rolling thunder maby. or even 2"vbar. i usually only train one "grip" exersize at a pop. as far as grippers, i did pick up my number CoC#1 right after and it felt like melted butter. but it was so late i didnt really feel like putting out any more energy for the night. i would think that different hammer levering would make you unstable if you were to do a gripper workout following, but ive never really tried to corilate these exersizes we do. im hoping one day ill get some tips myself, im sure i would do better, i feel like im suffering for the cause right now, cos i really dont know what im doing except having fun.

Nice job showing how to set up a freestanding wrist roller :cool Oh and some decent power you have Parris :D

Nice job showing how to set up a freestanding wrist roller :cool Oh and some decent power you have Parris :D

thanks John, im just trying to keep up with you! i gotta be in shape for when i come to visit ya

rico

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! i'm doing a little over 100lbs on the wrist roller but a different setup.. but i can't even imagine how hard that must be! VERY cool setup and INSANE wrist strength!

there is a correlation.. even though the hand and the forearm can be considered two seperate bodyparts, they are one cohesive unit working together. The same muscles used to close grippers are also involved in flexing the forearms and articulating the hand! Direct wrist and forearm work are musts! I tested a theory of mine by doing just strictly cable wrist curls for a warmup and closing my hg300 gripper which... according to all who have touched it.. equates to a hard coc 3. normally I get just a handful of reps with it.. but after doing wrist and forearm work, I closed it for 2 sets of 10 easily!

keep at it.. strengthening the wrists and forearms will DIRECTLY carry over to hand strength! INSANE work bro!

thanks John, im just trying to keep up with you! i gotta be in shape for when i come to visit ya

rico

I'm looking forward to an Eastern Pa get together at Jedd's new garage :cool

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! i'm doing a little over 100lbs on the wrist roller but a different setup.. but i can't even imagine how hard that must be! VERY cool setup and INSANE wrist strength!

there is a correlation.. even though the hand and the forearm can be considered two seperate bodyparts, they are one cohesive unit working together. The same muscles used to close grippers are also involved in flexing the forearms and articulating the hand! Direct wrist and forearm work are musts! I tested a theory of mine by doing just strictly cable wrist curls for a warmup and closing my hg300 gripper which... according to all who have touched it.. equates to a hard coc 3. normally I get just a handful of reps with it.. but after doing wrist and forearm work, I closed it for 2 sets of 10 easily!

keep at it.. strengthening the wrists and forearms will DIRECTLY carry over to hand strength! INSANE work bro!

HG 300 is more around the level of a #2.5, HG 350 is more like a hard #3.

HG 300 is more around the level of a #2.5, HG 350 is more like a hard #3.

The important part to note is the bit in Red. HGs can be all over the place and HG300s especially, what is being said here is that this HG300 is around a hard #3, as Ryan does or has trained with some very experienced grippsters I have no reason to doubt this statement! ;)

not THIS HG300 haha..

both eric, paul, and rex said the same thing... I can close a 2.5 with two fingers. The comment about HG's being all over the place is no joke. The hg350 I have is easier to close than the 300. I got 17 reps with a choked 3 last night and tend to get 8-10 reps on a 3 with a set. This is not your typical 300 lol.

hey Danny

yea thats kinda my question for you guys. im not really sure what wrist rolling directly correlates to. well im sure its gotta help wirh thick bar and rolling thunder maby. or even 2"vbar. i usually only train one "grip" exersize at a pop. as far as grippers, i did pick up my number CoC#1 right after and it felt like melted butter. but it was so late i didnt really feel like putting out any more energy for the night. i would think that different hammer levering would make you unstable if you were to do a gripper workout following, but ive never really tried to corilate these exersizes we do. im hoping one day ill get some tips myself, im sure i would do better, i feel like im suffering for the cause right now, cos i really dont know what im doing except having fun.

Hey, how are you?

I'm glad you're having fun at this point with the grippers! As far as your curiosity on the muscular aspect of grip training, this is something that many of us try to analyze because knowing which muscles are being used, we can then figure out which ones to strengthen and how.

From lots of training in the gym, I do feel that supporting grip really involves wrist strength. When I'm doing heavy shrugs, deadlifts, or rows I start feeling my forearms burning and as I finish the exercise I move my wrist up or down and feel that the muscles of the wrist have just been worked.

Grippers involve crushing strength when you go for max closes, but when you going for many reps and holding a non-max gripper shut for time you actually build you're supporting grip. I know this to be the case, since all the sudden I was able to hold unto my deadlifts a lot better (without training my wrists). In the case of the high rep/ long holds training, you will feel your forearms burning - both your wrist flexors and wrist extensors. These muscles are stabilizing the gripper in your hand and they most likely don't determine how much power you have on the gripper, but in charge of your hand staying in place. I did gain some wrist strength out of repping on the grippers, but doing wrist curls / reverse wrist curls is a better option, which I've now incorporated into my workouts. There are many people out there that can wrist curl weights that I would never be able to, but they might not even be able to close a #2.

When it comes to MAX crushing strength, it is definately the muscles in the hands that give the push, for ex: closing a #3. If you try to close your MAX gripper and hold it for few seconds, when you let go your palms will be fired up. If you do this for work sets, you'll even feel your hands sore the following day.

So all the muscles involved in this job are the ones in the hand, the wrist flexors (bottom forearm) & the wrist extensors (upper forearm).

The only muscle in the forearm that isn't involved is the Brachioradialis, which is located in the upper forearm. This muscle gets worked whenever you do bicep curls, hammer curls, reverse curls, pullups, chinups and any other movement that involves the flexing of the elbow. Say you did close-grip pullups and that muscle worked to failure, then a few hours later you do grippers, nothing will be affected. But if you did wrist curls or reverse wrist curls (also wrist roller, levering, etc.) right before grippers - and I'm talking about work sets to failure, not a warmup set - you will notice you're drained to close grippers.

Wrist work is great to add to help you in grippers, but should be scheduled after grippers, and never a day right before grippers either.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DannyGrip

Thanks guys for all the comments and congrats, it means alot and drives me to want to keep doing this. its kinda cool that this is a knit group we have here. everyone gave me some great tidbits. what is some of the weight that you guys are able to move with your wrist rollers? i always go from squat height and usually go forward then backwards for one set if its not to heavy. maby 4 sets then i get bored of it. let me know im interested!

Parris

Thanks guys for all the comments and congrats, it means alot and drives me to want to keep doing this. its kinda cool that this is a knit group we have here. everyone gave me some great tidbits. what is some of the weight that you guys are able to move with your wrist rollers? i always go from squat height and usually go forward then backwards for one set if its not to heavy. maby 4 sets then i get bored of it. let me know im interested!

Parris

Just wondering, what grippers are you currently closing?

I can close the #2.5 anytime no prob w/ right hand, #2 w/ left hand.

I'm no where near as strong as you on wrist though.

My Regular Wrist Curls are good, but my Reverse Wrist Curls are currently weak.

That's one of my goals now, to get my Wrists super strong - both flexors and extensors

& also to close the #3 hopefully soon :)

Parris

That's one of my goals now, to get my Wrists super strong - both flexors and extensors

currently i can MMset my CoC3 whenever i want to, but i talked to randal strossen and he talked me into backing down to a 2.5 for 12 to 15 reps, which i can do with no set. but ive been working on sets of this which is hard for me. by the second set im not really touching the handles but i still try real hard. my left hand hurts when i make a fist, but its getting better since i bought a tens unit (another thread), check out my youtube i have lots of cool stuff on there.

rico

Parris

currently i can MMset my CoC3 whenever i want to, but i talked to randal strossen and he talked me into backing down to a 2.5 for 12 to 15 reps, which i can do with no set. but ive been working on sets of this which is hard for me. by the second set im not really touching the handles but i still try real hard. my left hand hurts when i make a fist, but its getting better since i bought a tens unit (another thread), check out my youtube i have lots of cool stuff on there.

rico

Are the Reps w/ the #2.5 helping you? Why don't you just try doing a lot of HOLDS w/ the #3. I definately think that would give you that extra power you need on it to Credit Card Set it.

the 2.5coc reps will help me to do my credit card close, because they are getting easier to do, before i always had to do my sets with the #2. so when i come around to grippers again it should be easier again. i usually rotate all my exersizes since im not training for any contests. just all around the best i can be.

rico

Rico,

I like the set up for your wrist roller. And after looking at your pic gallery, you are very creative with all your home made lifting implements. I have been thinking of making a wrist roller myself, i'll have to give your set up a try. Thanks for the idea :rock

Rico,

I like the set up for your wrist roller. And after looking at your pic gallery, you are very creative with all your home made lifting implements. I have been thinking of making a wrist roller myself, i'll have to give your set up a try. Thanks for the idea :rock

The few times I have done wrist rolling. I used the same setup except that I took a length of 2.5 PVC pipe with a cord tried and duct taped in place and slid that over the end of the Olympic bar. It was wrapped with athletic tape so you don't need chalk. It makes it real fast to set up for :D

john

ive never tried anything more than the 2 inches with my crome plated bar, yes its slick but that is where i figure im also focusing on my grip strength because you have to squeeze so hard.

rico

john

ive never tried anything more than the 2 inches with my crome plated bar, yes its slick but that is where i figure im also focusing on my grip strength because you have to squeeze so hard.

rico

Nothing wrong with that, I just use the PVC setup because it's quick and I'm lazy as Hell :D

the 2.5coc reps will help me to do my credit card close, because they are getting easier to do, before i always had to do my sets with the #2. so when i come around to grippers again it should be easier again. i usually rotate all my exersizes since im not training for any contests. just all around the best i can be.

rico

Having never done any wrist work and only doing grippers, I can make an assumption the grippers helped my wrist curling strength (bottom of forearm), but not my reverse wrist curling strength (top of forearm).

I can wrist curl a lot of weight w/ full range of motion, but my reverse wrist curl weight is pathetic!

Maybe there is carry over from the grippers to the wrist flexors. It seems the wrist flexors contract, while the wrist extensors relax while you're closing a gripper. So the extensors most likely don't get anything out of it because I'm able to close the #2.5 (which is O.K.) yet can't reverse wrist curl any serious weight.

Edited by DannyGrip

Danny, like I said unless I'm going for a max I always wrist roll both ways with a weight I know I can do. And ill know this by going forward first, then rolling it toward me. With no break inbetween just the time to wrap it the other way, and that's usually 10 or 15 seconds. If I can't make the rep in the push motion I won't do it the other way, ill drop weight , or take a break and try again. This way it will help you to stay evened up. And like I said ill rotate since I don't want to get stale so it will be a wile till I try these again. Maby the rotating what your doing could help you out to.

Rico