Sunday Prs - Grand Bastard, 4.5" Red And More

JDarty6173

12/14/2008

1 - 5.5" Grand Bastard

1 - 4.5" Red Nail

1 - 7" HexaBastard

Another acceptable day of bending. I started with a PR with the Grand bastard which went down pretty easily. Then I moved on to a 4.5" Red which I fought for about 20 minutes before finally getting it down to 1.75". After a few minutes rest I decided to try a 7" x 5/16" FBBC Hex. I don't know if I was just fried at that point, or if it really is that hard of a bend. But I really had to struggle to finish that one off. The kink really gave me hell.. I was barely getting any movement at all from each hit. But when it finally started to go it finished off pretty easily. The crush on that thing is terribly easy. And I know the hex piece is calibrated well below the other 2 bends I hit, but it felt much harder to me for some reason. Oh well.......

Oh and just one quick question, which bend would calibrate harder the 4.5" Red or the Grand bastard?

Edited by JDarty6173

dude let me start off by saying those are some nice bends! for the whole calibrating thing, you can only really use that to compare bends of the same length. For example, If two pieces of different lengths calibrate at the same poundage, the longer one will always feel harder. And yes the hex does have a monster kink.

12/14/2008

1 - 5.5" Grand Bastard

1 - 4.5" Red Nail

1 - 7" HexaBastard

Another acceptable day of bending. I started with a PR with the Grand bastard which went down pretty easily. Then I moved on to a 4.5" Red which I fought for about 20 minutes before finally getting it down to 1.75". After a few minutes rest I decided to try a 7" x 5/16" FBBC Hex. I don't know if I was just fried at that point, or if it really is that hard of a bend. But I really had to struggle to finish that one off. The kink really gave me hell.. I was barely getting any movement at all from each hit. But when it finally started to go it finished off pretty easily. The crush on that thing is terribly easy. And I know the hex piece is calibrated well below the other 2 bends I hit, but it felt much harder to me for some reason. Oh well.......

Oh and just one quick question, which bend would calibrate harder the 4.5" Red or the Grand bastard?

Thats some great bends. That 4.5" Red is VERY short. I would say the 4.5" definitely tougher, especially since you killed the grand but struggled with the red for 20 minutes ;)

Do a 4" RED and I'll be impressed... :devil

I'll be impressed with a 3" red, heheheheheeh :whistel Everything so far has been child's play ;)

Man, those are some serious bends my friend!! :blink :blink I would say that 4.5 red was definitely a tough bend. When they're that short, the crush is MURDER! I hear ya on the hex too; those are downright evil on the kink. You are right about the crush being easy comparatively. The mag brutal was the same way. Kink was almost impossible, crush was way easier(relatively). I think you should pick up some edgins soon. You'll kill em'. Nice work!

Thats some great bends. That 4.5" Red is VERY short. I would say the 4.5" definitely tougher, especially since you killed the grand but struggled with the red for 20 minutes ;)

That is what I assumed. But it was kinda hard to judge since I had hit them back to back. I know being pre-fatigued made the red more difficult than it should have been...

Hmm, I think you read my mind. A 4" Red in on my to do list for my next bending session. But I think this time it will be my first bend to make it a tad easier :happy

Man, those are some serious bends my friend!! :blink :blink I would say that 4.5 red was definitely a tough bend. When they're that short, the crush is MURDER! I hear ya on the hex too; those are downright evil on the kink. You are right about the crush being easy comparatively. The mag brutal was the same way. Kink was almost impossible, crush was way easier(relatively). I think you should pick up some edgins soon. You'll kill em'. Nice work!

Thanks a ton Fox. Actually I did not find the crush to be all that difficult, nor the kink. It was everything in between where i couldn't figure out how to hit the bar without my hands hitting each other at the start of the movement. Once I got it down to just past 90 degrees I was able to finish it with one good hit with a crush.

I am glad to hear that the Hex kink is universally difficult. It really surprised me especially after having seen what it was calibrated at. but I really had just assumed that I was just out of steam after the first 2 bends. But when it finally kinked to about 15 degrees I was able to finish it off pretty easily.

Next time my goals are to bend a Magnificent Bastard and hopefully a 4" Red. Then by my next bending day my Shiny stock should be here from FBBC and I'll be moving to mostly stainless. I am also going to pick up some 303 and 304 stainless at fastenal later today.

I do have 1 Edgin that I got in my advanced bad from FBBC, so I will give it a tug pretty soon as well.

Very well done :rock

Hol steelbending! You're unstoppable. Only a few people have managed a 4.5" red so far as I know.

Hol steelbending! You're unstoppable. Only a few people have managed a 4.5" red so far as I know.

Huh, I actually didn't realize that it was such an elusive bend. I mean even on the 4.5" the kink was really easy. I know I can bend a 4" Red but that will likely be as short as I go with it probably. Then I'll just retire the Reds unless I decide to do a cert on one later.

I have uploaded a couple images to my gallery which show some of my PRs over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I think my training partner Curt has a video of my Grand bastard and possibly one of my other PR bends. I will try to get those from him and uploaded sometime soon. But for now here is a link to my gallery. JDarty6173 bending Gallery

A 4.5" Red (or Bastard) is really an incredible bend in pretty much anybody's book. You've probably gone from the Bastard to the 4.5" Red in the shortest time I've heard of to date. Freakshow strong, great job man.

A 4.5" Red (or Bastard) is really an incredible bend in pretty much anybody's book. You've probably gone from the Bastard to the 4.5" Red in the shortest time I've heard of to date. Freakshow strong, great job man.

Thanks, that means a lot to me coming from a top bender such as yourself. I know I still have a 4" Red in me, but past that I just don't know how it would be possible to hold on to the bar and put enough force into it. But I am going to start hitting some super short grade 5s just to work on my form with short stuff. I am thinking for my next bending session I will go ahead and get my 1st Edgin out of the way and finish off with a Magnificent Bastard.

LOL, well it only took me 5 days from a bastard to a 4.5" Red. And it took 18 days from my first 7" red to a 4.5" red. Ehh, who know.. I may actually turn out to be decent at this bending thing :blush

Its time to start training more with the stainless and drillrod these bring the crush on even more so once your killing shorties in those the crs stuff is easy.

I will say a 4.5inch red is a killer short bend :bow not many around here doin those what wrapping are you useing a 4inch red is an ELITE bend a handfull of guys are capable of that but i would be more impressed with what wraps are being used as well not just the steel and shortness.

Try a red cut in half or a shiny cut in half those are even more ELITE than a 4incher obviously again im my eyes the wrapping has a big effect on the bend :whacked

Seems like your short bending has really taken off i was like that i was cutting stuff shorter an shorter every workout but i sucked on 7inch stuff had to work alot harder for that length but the crushdown training the shorter stuff gives you will always carry over and stay with you if you keep training it.

Very IMPRESSIVE bending 4 a relative newbie :bow i look 4ward to seeing/hearing you conquer all manner of steel "NO LIMITS"

Its time to start training more with the stainless and drillrod these bring the crush on even more so once your killing shorties in those the crs stuff is easy.

I will say a 4.5inch red is a killer short bend :bow not many around here doin those what wrapping are you useing a 4inch red is an ELITE bend a handfull of guys are capable of that but i would be more impressed with what wraps are being used as well not just the steel and shortness.

Try a red cut in half or a shiny cut in half those are even more ELITE than a 4incher obviously again im my eyes the wrapping has a big effect on the bend :whacked

Seems like your short bending has really taken off i was like that i was cutting stuff shorter an shorter every workout but i sucked on 7inch stuff had to work alot harder for that length but the crushdown training the shorter stuff gives you will always carry over and stay with you if you keep training it.

Very IMPRESSIVE bending 4 a relative newbie :bow i look 4ward to seeing/hearing you conquer all manner of steel "NO LIMITS"

Thanks gazza. I just measured my wraps at 1 1/16" across when wrapped on a bastard. They are a set of old chewed up suede leathers. I just don't feel comfortable with wraps any bigger than that. I have small hands so that is partially why.

I have stainless on order from FBBC as well as some 303 and 304 from Fastenal so I will be moving to all stainless as soon as that arrives.

I will be starting work on some 7" Edgins tonight. With my poor flexibility I do struggle with the long stuff. But i am working to remedy that...