Help Me Break My Gripper.

Cannon

I have an HG300 that has a 2" spread and about a 3/8" mount. It's about a #2 (maybe easier) in strength and worthless to me really. So I've been trying to break the handles loose so I can reset them about flush mount to make the gripper a LOT harder (hopefully).

I tried putting the handle in a vise and sticking an iron bar through the spring and then hit the iron bar with a mallet to try and twist the handle loose. Didn't work. I didn't want to hit it too hard because I didn't want to deform the spring.

So then I boiled the gripper handle for a while and then tried the same thing as above. Didn't work.

Then I tried using a nail set to try and drive the handle straight off. Didn't work.

Does anyone know a reliable way to break the handles loose? If I can't figure anything out, I'll probably just cut the handles shorter or give the gripper to my daughter or something.

Thanks! :)

I didn't watch the video because I'm on dial-up here at home, but for the record, I'm not interested in ruining the gripper. :D

Edited by Cannon

Why not just cut your loss and get a new gripper which is worth a darn like a BB or RB? it is not a closely held secret HGs are garbage. Messing with the springs and handles sounds pretty dumb. They come from the factory poorly constructed, now your going to do a home improvement job on it? I do have to say i am suprised it has been this difficult getting them off, i had no problem breaking mine (doubt they can be easily fixed though...)

Be careful!

You could drill up through the handle, centrally, til you get to the spring, then drift the spring out. This would mean you have a hole in each handle though.

That's funny...I accidentally twisted one of the handles off my HG 100 the first day I got it. I got the impression that HG handles weren't that solidly attached in general. Maybe it was just the one, but I'm surprised you can't break them free in a vice.

Boil the handles, then use an oven mit and twist them off. Then you can either drill the handles out or cut the spring to whatever mount you want.

...Messing with the springs and handles sounds pretty dumb. They come from the factory poorly constructed, now your going to do a home improvement job on it?...

?!?!?

Edited by Magnus

you can have my HG300. It is also worthless and if you have two of them they will cancel eachother out.

I have an HG300 that has a 2" spread and about a 3/8" mount. It's about a #2 (maybe easier) in strength and worthless to me really. So I've been trying to break the handles loose so I can reset them about flush mount to make the gripper a LOT harder (hopefully).

I tried putting the handle in a vise and sticking an iron bar through the spring and then hit the iron bar with a mallet to try and twist the handle loose. Didn't work. I didn't want to hit it too hard because I didn't want to deform the spring.

So then I boiled the gripper handle for a while and then tried the same thing as above. Didn't work.

Then I tried using a nail set to try and drive the handle straight off. Didn't work.

Does anyone know a reliable way to break the handles loose? If I can't figure anything out, I'll probably just cut the handles shorter or give the gripper to my daughter or something.

Thanks! :)

Do not hit the iron bar with a mallet. Put the gripper in the vice, ( reheat it first), then put the iron bar through the coil. Now grab the ends of the handles and twist counter clockwise. Pull with an underhand grip on one end of the bar and push with an over hand grip on the other end of the bar. Use a bar about 18 to 24 inches long. Continuous hard, even pressure with both hands working in unison should break it loose. It always works for me, even with an IM #4 :)

PS. Mount the gripper so that the top edge of the gripper handle is flush with the top edge of the vice jaws

If the HG300 is EASY for you, get a CoC #4 and try getting certified. There's only a few people on the list, Magnus Samuelsson included.

Why not just cut your loss and get a new gripper which is worth a darn like a BB or RB? it is not a closely held secret HGs are garbage. Messing with the springs and handles sounds pretty dumb. They come from the factory poorly constructed, now your going to do a home improvement job on it? I do have to say i am suprised it has been this difficult getting them off, i had no problem breaking mine (doubt they can be easily fixed though...)

Be careful!

Well, I have plenty of other grippers, I was just trying to turn this one into something that could advance my training. :D I was also shocked how difficult it has been to attempt re-setting the handle!

That's funny...I accidentally twisted one of the handles off my HG 100 the first day I got it. I got the impression that HG handles weren't that solidly attached in general. Maybe it was just the one, but I'm surprised you can't break them free in a vice.

Again, I'm shocked as well. :D I'm a fairly handy person and I just can't make'em budge.

you can have my HG300. It is also worthless and if you have two of them they will cancel eachother out.

:D

Thanks, Zcor. I'll try your suggestion and if that doesn't work, I'll just put it on the shelf. :D And, it seems I'm full of smiles tonight, so here's another :D

If the HG300 is EASY for you, get a CoC #4 and try getting certified. There's only a few people on the list, Magnus Samuelsson included.

He has an easy 300 that's only about a 2.0 or less, and even a normal 300 is only about a 2.5. Although, I have a really tough 300 that's 3.17. And rest assured, the people on GB are well aware of who's on the #4 cert list :D As a matter of fact, Tommy Heslep's a member here :cool

Edited by Magnus

He has an easy 300 that's only about a 2.0 or less, and even a normal 300 is only about a 2.5. Although, I have a really tough 300 that's 3.17. And rest assured, the people on GB are well aware of who's on the #4 cert list :D As a matter of fact, Tommy Heslep's a member here :cool

The #4 is rated at 365lbs, so if you could do say an HG400 would you be able to do a #4? Being on a list with Magnus would be the coolest thing - not to mention you could brag about it. :D

The #4 is rated at 365lbs, so if you could do say an HG400 would you be able to do a #4? Being on a list with Magnus would be the coolest thing - not to mention you could brag about it. :D

Check the FAQ section for gripper ratings. A HG400 is at best a #3 level. Definately no where near any #4. A HG500 now might be on par with a #4 but the larger handles makes it a different close IMHO.

- Aaron

The 365lb rating on the #4's is an inch pound rating done by Ironmind. In terms of lateral weight, like an RGC calibration, most #4's fall between 200 and 212lb's to close.

Also, the 400 in HG400 has nothing to do with pounds. From what I hear about HG400's, some of them are easier than HG300's.

My HG300 calibrated to 156.5lbs, and my #3 (285 inch pounds mind you), calibrated to 152lb's.

Thanks for the information guys, I'm actually pretty new at this stuff so I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me. All this time I've been wondering "what's so good about a #4, it's only 365lbs!" lol. I guess I know now.

Thanks for the information guys, I'm actually pretty new at this stuff so I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me. All this time I've been wondering "what's so good about a #4, it's only 365lbs!" lol. I guess I know now.

After hanging around here for a while, you'll get the hang of it in no time :)

Hey I just noticed the last line in your signature. You say you're 1mm off the 3.17 HG300. How would that compare with a Bone Crusher 300?

Edited by Grippster

The Bone Crusher 300 is the same as the HG 300, just in different packaging and sold through different suppliers...and as already mentioned they vary considerably. My own HG 300 falls between my RB 260N and my #3, where Cannon's is much easier and Luke's is harder. You can't really be sure what you're getting until you give it a squeeze.

Not just equal, they're exactly the same, made by the same people, just sold with different packaging. There's at least one other supplier using a yet another name as well, but I forget what it is.

Matt, remember the penny crush vid of Knight's that caused mass gripper genocide? A bunch of people broke their HG grippers trying it. Perhaps you could do the same but chest crush it. Otherwise, the boiling and zcor's suggestions were golden!