5/16" G2 Bolt

TomY

How hard is a 5/16" X 6" G2 bolt when compared to a 1/4" grade 5. On the FBBC steel progression chart it says thats it easier than a grade 5. Is this a typo?

How hard is a 5/16" X 6" G2 bolt when compared to a 1/4" grade 5. On the FBBC steel progression chart it says thats it easier than a grade 5. Is this a typo?

Maybe not, the ones I got in a FBBC bag were surprisingly easy to bend.

There's a huge range of variance. I have some that are close to a bastard, had some way easuer than a grade 5.

There's a huge range of variance. I have some that are close to a bastard, had some way easuer than a grade 5.

Exactly what I have experienced as well.

And while you're in this thread John........the last time I get a Bender's bag from you, you mixed in a G5-5/16"X6" with the G2s. I just about had a heart attack because I was doing volume with the bolts and that one came up. I didn't even dent it!

You're a bastard. :rock

j/k

I tried two 5/16" G2s at climber's home.

One at 7" and one at 6".

Both were MUCH MUCH harder than a Red of the appropriate length as Chris might confirm.

I was in real trouble getting the 6" version.

Edited by FrankyBoy

One at 7" and one at 6".

Both were MUCH MUCH harder than a Red of the appropriate length as Chris might confirm.

I've had some like that too.

One at 7" and one at 6".

Franky certainly had to work for the 6" one but he never really looked in trouble on it :whistel . I tried one of that same batch pre kinked after I read they were rated so easy a while back - never even dented the thing. It sort of makes things interesting, never knowing what might come next :rolleyes .

Franky - I'm just now feeling like another bending session - I've been sore ever since our little session here a week ago. At least this soreness will go away, unlike with my old form. Don't think I'm going to cut any more Grade 8s down for a while though. I bought a new 20' stick of 5/16" round, both hot and 12' of cold rolled - I'll let you know how this batch comes out - well the hot roll anyway - we'll see on the cold rolled stuff - that may be a while still.

Chris,

that type of soreness will be very productive.

If you allow yourself to rest enough you'll get much stronger after that incredible intense workout you did.

Heat or massages will easily get the soreness out of your pec and lat.

I'd love to see you working on a prekinked Red.

You don't own some? Tell me!

Franky - I have two IM Reds that I'm saving for when I think I might actually have a chance at it. I do have some 5/16" cold roll I bought which may or may not be equal to a Red or FBBC Bastard stock - who knows and I certainly can't tell at this point - I plan to cut some 7" and kink them and give that a go in a couple days. My plan (if you can call it that) is to work some pre kinked cold roll stuff for strength and try and figure out how to do the 7" length that gives me so much trouble. I'll do some 1/4" hex and some 5/16" hot roll until I get more comfortable with the length - then try my cold roll - when that all seems to be worked out, then try an actual Red Nail. Primary grip focus right now is the #3 - I WILL get where I can do it on a regular basis with my single stamp 3.