Grade F911 Bolt

Clay Edgin

mmainlands was kind enough to send me his only Grade F911 bolt, which is a type of bolt I have never heard of before. He wanted to see if it was bendable and I happily volunteered to be the guinea pig. The manufacturers of the Grade F911 bolt claim that it is 20% stronger than a standard Grade 9 bolt because it has 56% more chromium and 100% more nickel (regular G9's don't contain nickel at all). After bending this thing, I agree that it is significantly tougher. The bolt Mike sent to me was 7", but I cut it down to 6".

For a point of reference, I bent a couple G5's, a G8, a G9, and then went after this F911 with a piece of cordura tucked in the neck of my shirt in case the bolt snapped and shot shrapnel into my throat. I didn't want to hit the bolt as hard as possible because I wanted to feel how tough it was the whole way through. The initial kink felt like a 6.25" red. When I readjusted my hands while the bar was at 45 degrees and pushed, the bar was considerably harder and didn't want to move. I have had drill bits and other stuff snap at 45 degrees before and right before it does it gets real tough like this bolt did so I thought it would break. But I kept pushing on it and it kept moving. I unwrapped the bolt to crush it down with some little leather chips and during that time it hardened considerably. I crushed the ends down to about 1 1/4"

Overall, I'd say the bolt was definitely tougher than a 1/4"x6" G9 and actually felt quite a bit like a 6" or 6.25" red nail.

You can get these bolts at a couple places online, but the cheapest I have found is at www.bolts4u.com located in San Marcos, CA. I spoke with them this morning and the 1/4" x 6" bolts are $1.61 each, but if you buy them in 100-pc boxes they are $1.25 each.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Sounds like that bolt has the power of a jet fighter and hardens with the speed of a German race car!

Sounds like a bolt for a Ferrari or Lamborghini. :)

• 1 year later...

It would be interesting to see what eric can calibrate one of these at they are definately harder than the g9s with L9 on the head.

Thanks for the update Clay,

With my luck it would snap and I would jab it into my jugular and die on camera. I have punched myself in the face too many times to hang around bolts that can snap! Again nice difficult expensive bolt.