Anyone Use Electrical Tape?

pdoire

I was rereading Kinney's section in Strossens book I noticed he

used electrical tape for high volume workouts. I am going

to use this on the finger side of the grippers....opposite the dogleg.

My fingers are really getting chewed up with the KTA volume.

I also notice it allows your fingers to slip around the handle into

position for a close much easier without taking your skin along with it.

yes.

sixgun...

I've never tried it but I have taped the last part of my pinkie when it was chewed up from KTA and it worked well.

yes.

sixgun...

What an incredible and skin saving idea. You can focus so much more on closing the gripper. Feel stronger already. Seems to make no sets much easier too.

Glad I'm not alone.

yea, you're right about that. I taped my grippers right after watching Joe Kinney's tape about 5 years ago. I have all my knurled grippers taped on one handle - the finger handle.

Sixgun...

This is so weird, I was just reading "CoC Grippers" book. I skipped over to the area's of interest, and I read about this suggestion from J. B. Kinney. However I did as suggested, and I have to say electrical tape is the worst suggestion. It is so slippery that I spend more effort trying to keep it in place than concentrating on the workout itself. So I removed the electrical and replaced it with your standard sports store brand grip tape; much better.

NO, You're missing the point. Sports tape - better know as friction tape - is rough and it is made to grab! We use electrical tape on the handles that will go against the fingers (not against the palm) so the fingers WILL SLIDE up the tape for a smooth close without ripping the skin from the fingers (as the knurling AND sports tape will do). Sports tape will be counter-productive! Don't skip the reading part. This idea does work! But you must know why you are doing it.

Sixgun...

NO, You're missing the point.  Sports tape - better know as friction tape - is rough and it is made to grab!  We use electrical tape on the handles that will go against the fingers (not against the palm) so the fingers WILL SLIDE up the tape for a smooth close without ripping the skin from the fingers (as the knurling AND sports tape will do).  Sports tape will be counter-productive!  Don't skip the reading part.  This idea does work!  But you must know why you are doing it.

Sixgun...

EXACTLY!!! No tape on doglegged side (palm side).

pdoire,

I can tell you are serious about your gripping. People are serious and are gripping regular, know's what Joe is talking about. Every now and then I run into someone who doesn't understand how the electrical tape works.

Nice job

Sixgun...

I did not miss the point, I just think the slide is too much. There were times where it almost slipped right out. With grip tape you can still have a smooth slide and NOT tear up your hand. Also, I was using the taped part where my fingers grab.

Edited by Iman74

Sports tape is no different than the knurling! So I can't see your point! Sorry.

Sixgun...

I did not miss the point, I just think the slide is too much.  There were times where it almost slipped right out.  With grip tape you can still have a smooth slide and NOT tear up your hand.  Don't miss my point.

With grip tape you will not get a good slide...I use it on my ISG to get a firm

non-sliding grip on the PALM side. I also use grip tape when I rip a callous off

my palm...to ensure the gripper handle in my palm won't slide and to protect

the open wound.

Nuff said.

To me it is more about a personal preference; the gain in either way you do it, is that you do not get your hand torn up.

pdoire,

I can tell you are serious about your gripping.  People are serious and are gripping regular, know's what Joe is talking about.  Every now and then I run into someone who doesn't understand how the electrical tape works.

Nice job

Sixgun...

Thanks sixgun,

I take that as a compliment from someone with your experience...wish

I'd found it at the beginning of KTA 2 months ago...Would have saved

a lot of OUCHES!! :)

To me it is more about a personal preference; the gain in either way you do it, is that you do not get your hand torn up.

If grip tape works for you....continue to use it.

The point is to save the fingers from getting chewed up. :)

Well no doubt, if they continue to get chewed out, out comes the electrical tape.

If grip tape works for you....continue to use it.

The point is to save the fingers from getting chewed up. :)

Question:

CoC rules, you cannot have your gripper modified; does this include tape?

This is a training device and suitable for that purpose.

I believe for a certification the tape must be removed for MMO

or for COC.

For MM1 and up you will be using the official grippers that will be mailed

and cannot be modified in any way.

But a cert is one rep...when we ...or I train I do many, many reps...so

as a training aid it is a great idea....just not at cert time.

There is a few things I want you guys to know about me. I can admit when I am wrong, and I do not really think things through, and sometimes just act on instinct. I did that with the grip tape, and like I said I just read that part of the chapter and acted on it. Now after thinking what you guys had to say I did a few sets with the grip tape, and it did tear up my hand. I then switched back to electrical tape, and it was a nicer workout. I stand corrected.

There is a few things I want you guys to know about me.  I can admit when I am wrong, and I do not really think things through, and sometimes just act on instinct.  I did that with the grip tape, and like I said I just read that part of the chapter and acted on it.  Now after thinking what you guys had to say I did a few sets with the grip tape, and it did tear up my hand.  I then switched back to electrical tape, and it was a nicer workout.  I stand corrected.

No prob man....grip on!!

Personally, I like Gaffers tape, a vinyl-coated cotton cloth tape. It gives one a nice compromise of grip and slide. Personally, the electric is a tad to slippery, and tougher tapes do tear the skin. Either way, taping the gripper is one of the best training implements IMO.

The eletrical tape also work well for taping up the fingers before a grip workout if you are developing blisters.

-HH

HH, absolutely, nothing better than tape and glue for torn hands. don't do like I did and put the tape on before the glue was completely dry. really hurt taking the tape "and skin" off.

HH, absolutely, nothing better than tape and glue for torn hands. don't do like I did and put the tape on before the glue was completely dry. really hurt taking the tape "and skin" off.

Thats exactly what I did last week!! I ripped a callous off the right palm..skin was

hanging..posted here about it ..was told to tape and continue...so I did and

when I was done, I took the tape off along with the remaining skin!!

I love using electrical tape on high volume gripper workouts, such as that as KTA, as it allows you to use FULLER strength on the grippers without having to worry about the skin on your fingers. So yes, I do believe they are a vital training aid to up your crush. :rock;)