Results Of 2010 Southern California Meltdown

Hubgeezer

Made a mistake I can't edit! That is 2010 Contest, not 2011!

For a contest that had practically no interest, very low "views" by anyone, and was re-scheduled multiple times, yesterday was a real blast. I will post more here after I go to bed and sleep, just got back from a 350 mile drive.

Highlights:

Kevin Bussi competing for the first time in more than 4 years, coming off of serious hand injuries, and virtually no training, winning, including an easy 184 RGC rated RB300.

Odd Haugen, 48 hours after a surgical procedure to his neck, barely missing a World Record Axle pull (503 plus, got it two inches over his knees), and pulling 75 in the IM Hub and then 80 after the 4 attempts to see what he could do (??). The Axle was impressive when you think about a 60 year old man two days after an epidural for a neck injury.

Host Robert Alva hitting a PR on a gripper close of 139, keeps upping his gripper strength at age 52.

Hubgeezer closing an easy 3, a medium 3 and a 158 3 (that's hard, right?). Best official close of life at age 56.

Last place in the IronMind Hub was 60 pounds. Last place!

And two other Gripboard members participating, Gripzilla as judge, and TGROK as scorekeeper.

It was very nice, very fun, very relaxed and friendly, except when it was time to lift, pinch, squeeze, pull, or crush.

I had a great time. I think the best highlights were Hubgeezer glosing all of those 3s and Odd almost getting a 503lb axle. It was great seeing you guys all again. Thanks to lone wolf for creating a great contest.

Final Scoring:

1. Kevin Bussi, 450.40 points

2. Odd Haugen, 439.68

3. Mike Corlett, 422.48

4. Robert Alva, 350.24

Each event's winner was awarded 100 points. The other contestants' scores on that event were the proportion of their performance to the winner's as a percentage, multiplied times 100. For example, if the winning lift on the Two Hand Pinch was 200 pounds, the winner would receive 100 points, and then someone who lifted 180 pounds would receive 90 points.

I will get around to posting the individual events in the next few days. Here are the first two events:

Grippers. RGC ratings, type of gripper:

1. Kevin Bussi, 100.00 points, 184.31, RB300

2. Mike Corlett, 85.86 points, 158.24, IM#3

3. Robert Alva, 75.42 points, 139.00, RB240N

4. Odd Haugen, 61.31 points, 113.00, IM#2 (not positive on the manufacturer on that one)

Two Hand Pinch, Euro Device:

1. Kevin Bussi, 100.00 points, 200 lbs

2. Odd Haugen, 90.00 points, 180 lbs

3. Mike Corlett, 85 points, 170 lbs

4. Robert Alva, 77.50 points, 155 lbs

The weights were calibrated, but the face weights of the plates and device and collars are presented here. The only one that would have a chance to hit the Top 50 list would be Kevin Bussi, and I think it would come in right at Number 50(maybe 49 or 51), so I doubt that will be pursued.

The other 3 events, and commentary/descriptions will get posted later.

Thanks for writing about this Mike. Congratulations to all the competitors!

I hope you can get more competitors next year.

It's nice to see Kevin and Odd competing again. Robert and Mike, well done on the PRs!

Thanks for the write-up. My hat's off to Odd. That is something going for the record so short after an epidural. That dude is tough.

Thanks to Robert for holding the contest and everyone else who particpated as assistants. Makes it much easier, that is fo' sho'.

Any problems with me including this in the next Grip Strength Radio show?

Made a mistake I can't edit! That is 2010 Contest, not 2011!

For a contest that had practically no interest, very low "views" by anyone, and was re-scheduled multiple times, yesterday was a real blast. I will post more here after I go to bed and sleep, just got back from a 350 mile drive.

Highlights:

Kevin Bussi competing for the first time in more than 4 years, coming off of serious hand injuries, and virtually no training, winning, including an easy 184 RGC rated RB300.

Odd Haugen, 48 hours after a surgical procedure to his neck, barely missing a World Record Axle pull (503 plus, got it two inches over his knees), and pulling 75 in the IM Hub and then 80 after the 4 attempts to see what he could do (??). The Axle was impressive when you think about a 60 year old man two days after an epidural for a neck injury.

Host Robert Alva hitting a PR on a gripper close of 139, keeps upping his gripper strength at age 52.

Hubgeezer closing an easy 3, a medium 3 and a 158 3 (that's hard, right?). Best official close of life at age 56.

Last place in the IronMind Hub was 60 pounds. Last place!

And two other Gripboard members participating, Gripzilla as judge, and TGROK as scorekeeper.

It was very nice, very fun, very relaxed and friendly, except when it was time to lift, pinch, squeeze, pull, or crush.

Great to hear PR's and that all had a good time

I want to thank everyone for coming like Mike was saying

wasn't to sure if contest was going to get off the ground.

But at the last minute everything started to fall in place. I

would like to thank Jackie for being the scorekeeper and

Fernando the judge both you guy helped keeping the contest

moving very well.What can you say about Kevin Bussi with only

one training workout after a 4 yr layoff he does it again.It was great

to see Odd again it amazes me to watch him deadlift.He came so close to claim the

world record. Mike did very well on gripper closing 3 IM #3's from 147 to 158 lbs

very solid on all his other lift too. I got a good pr on grippers 139 lb 240RB

and pulled 60 lbs on the IM hub. had a great time. I'm glad everyone got home safely

and no one got injured .

I really can't wait for the next comp. I forgot how much fun they were. I can't remember the last time my forearms felt this sore, I don't even think I will heal after a whole week's rest.

Edited by handgripperman

Congrats on the win Kevin! And on your awesome gripper close man. Your grip strength is still way up there. Hope you put some energy into working on it again this year and smash up some contests man.

Okay, back on Results, just the facts, no editorializing by me:

Event 3, IronMind Axle

1. Odd Haugen, 100 points, 473 lbs

2. Kevin Bussi, 70.40 points, 333 lbs

3. Mike Corlett, 68.29 points, 323 lbs

4. Robert Alva, 51.37 points, 243 lbs

Event 4, IronMind Hub Lift

1. Odd Haugen, 100 points, 75 lbs

2. Mike Corlett 83.33 points, 62.50 lbs

3. Kevin Bussi, 80 points, 60 lbs

3. Robert Alva, 80 points, 60 lbs

Event 5, One Inch Vertical Bar Lift, FBBC Bar

1. Mike Corlett, 100 points, 301 lbs

1. Kevin Bussi, 100 points, 301 lbs

2. Odd Haugen, 88.37 points, 286 lbs

3. Robert Alva, 65.95 points, 198.5 lbs

Nonscoring Two Inch Vertical Bar, FBBC Bar

This was done with one lift within every 25 lb increment beginning with 150 lbs (150/200/225/250/275) unofficial

1. Odd Haugen, 277 lbs

2. Kevin Bussi, 228 lbs

3. Mike Corlett, 203 lbs

4. Robert Alva, 158 lbs

In addition, after all the "official" lifts in the IronMind Hub were over, Robert pulled 65 fully, and Odd Haugen pulled 80. The "vbar" method of grasping the Hub was not allowed for this event.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Excellent write up and it sounded like fun! If this contest happens again next year I'd like to come out for it. Any excuse to get back to California is good for me and I'll be a lot more well rounded next year grip wise too. Odd is a major inspiration to come back so strong that soon!!!!!

Good read, Mike! Wonder what Odd can/will do at 100% healthy? Congrats to all of you!

I love hearing about these other comps. thanks

and the so-called "geezers" give me hope.

congrats hubgeezer on your grippers and the hublifting keep at it your still getting better and stronger and all the other guys in that contest congrats kevin handgripperman doesn" t need to train like i said years ago some guys just have natural gripping abilities and he is one . glad to see you back . im still trying to get a pic in my head what your talking about on the hub lifting grip style im guessing sorta like a spider doing a pushup in the bottom position great writeup :mosher

Great write up! Congrats to all

Parris

congrats hubgeezer on your grippers and the hublifting keep at it your still getting better and stronger and all the other guys in that contest congrats kevin handgripperman doesn" t need to train like i said years ago some guys just have natural gripping abilities and he is one . glad to see you back . im still trying to get a pic in my head what your talking about on the hub lifting grip style im guessing sorta like a spider doing a pushup in the bottom position great writeup :mosher

Nice!!!

im still trying to get a pic in my head what your talking about on the hub lifting grip style im guessing sorta like a spider doing a pushup in the bottom position great writeup :mosher

I think Dan Praydis has taken over the crown of the Real Hubgeezer. He was not there, yet his description of what O.H. was doing was better than mine! :blink

I wonder how odd would do if he actually trained some of these events. The next day after the competition He took the side of one of his olympic bars off to train the 2 inch Vbar. It would be scary to find out what he can actually do on the hub.