Review : All Body Training Monster Gripper

chop163

Difficulty : The All Body Training Monster Gripper (ABT) has a smooth close, if a little mushy. When I first got it about 3 months ago it was as hard as my 2006 #3. After about 30 assisted closes (NS, pressing closed with fingers from other hand) it seasoned down to about a 2.5. So for this review I'll be comparing the ABT Monster gripper to the CoC #2.5.

Spread : 2.85 inches, same as my #2.5. I didn't have calipers when I first got the ABT, but I haven't noticed any significant loss of spread.

Spring : .278 gauge, .003 bigger than my #2.5. At first look I thought it was similar to a GR8 spring, but on closer inspection they've just coated the spring in clear paint. The spring has no gaps. 3/16" mount, CoC is flush mounted.

Handles : 0.79" diameter, CoC 0.755" diameter. So the handles are noticebly thicker.

The writing on the handles does not effect the performance of the gripper in any way.

The knurling is super slippery compared to the #2.5. It makes it pretty hard to close without using a $#!t load of chalk.

My biggest complaint about the ABT gripper is the centre band on the handles is REALLY sharp.

I had to put flashing tape on the bands (as you can see on a couple of the photos) because I was getting DEEP cuts on my middle fingers (and I have pretty thick skin on my hands from working on a building site).

Overall : A decent gripper for the price, although I much prefer my #2.5 and RB210. But if you're really short on cash or live outside America (cheap shipping) it's might be worth trying. Or if you just like collecting grippers it looks pretty good hanging on the wall. But I can't say that I'd really recommend it. I used it regularly for 2 months (until I got my RB210) and it's still in good shape, so the quality is quite good. I definatly understand why the guy on their website can't close it in the picture, it's a tough gripper (but it does seem like it could be one of those grippers that varies a lot, gripper to gripper).

Summary : ABT CoC

Difficulty : 2.5 2.5

Spread : 2.85" 2.85"

Spring Dia. : .278 .275

Handle Dia. : .79" .755"

Mount : 3/16" Flush

Edited by Jedd Johnson

Pictures don't seem to be working :cry , if you want to see them either look in my gallery or go to the "other" board, where I have also posted my review.

<Moderator edit: Click on the numbers to see the images>

• 1 month later...