New Rollingh Thunder World Record

Wade Gillingham

Great stuff! :rock

Somebody should give this guy the MDB! What's about You, Steve?

Dear lord that is an amazing lift.

-Jedd-

Look at those thick soles. He could have pulled more in flats.

Very impressive.

That old figure of 267 had been kicking around for a few years. Seven pounds is a significant bump upwards.

Hbgzr

Well done - I was wondering when somebody was gonna step up to the plate. He definately has the forearms for the job!

---was it new handle--?

-looks new-

article said "contest"--if contest-as stated- who else competed---

other weights lifted---?by the other competitors--?

--who was judge---witness--

plates weighed --or calibrated--

kid from my wifes gym did nationals in 03--nothing seemed to be weighed--it was very disorganized---this is why i ask

and the handle seemed harder--nerves?-- than the ones at my wifes gym--we have 4 rolling thunder handles--i get a different max on each handle--

in advance sorry to hi-jack thread but article didn't address a few things--

-always curious when i see an event described in such grand praise--without any real details--

--to the athlete well done-- it seems to be a large quantity of iron hanging from that handle--will reserve judgement as to whether it is a record or not------

Edited by zcor

---was it new handle--?

-looks new-

kid from my wifes gym did nationals in 03--nothing seemed to be weighed--it was very disorganized--a cluster F%$#----this is why i ask

I think we on the GB are setting the standards in grip with the mandatory weight calibration for WR's in pinch and vbar. Competitions in which WR's can be set must be advertised months in advance etc. Future iron game historians should hold our records in high regard.

Great stuff! :rock

Somebody should give this guy the MDB! What's about You, Steve?

Interesting. I spoke to Laine two days ago. I also had an invite from Randall to attend Pullums this coming Saturday.

According to an earlier bulletin from IM there was going to be a competition (part of the conditions under which you must break the record) this coming weekend. It was that to which I was invited. Once I spoke to Laine he said that 4 other guys were coming and as I had made some arrangements for next weekend I was happy he could have a go.

No mention of who he competed against is made in the text. The weights are Eliko and are calibrated on Pullyms equipment. It is possible that the guy who does the text for IM (is not Randall) has jumped the gun.

Further: Laine asked by email and again during out chat for a go at the Millennium and two weeks from now will be coming to Gloucester for an attempt. It is worth mentioning that he is about to have surgery on his back and is doing some challenges now before he needs to stop all training and lifting post surgery. I will NOT be giving away copies of any dumbbells to anyone.

I've rechecked and the date was Tuesday as stated. However, I blathered on about this weekend to Laine and he never corrected me (d'uh!).

Congrats;i am really impressed-everything more than 220 is world class-275 is awesome!!!!the next MDB lifter is waiting!!!!!!!

---was it new handle--?

-looks new-

kid from my wifes gym did nationals in 03--nothing seemed to be weighed--it was very disorganized--a cluster F%$#----this is why i ask

I think we on the GB are setting the standards in grip with the mandatory weight calibration for WR's in pinch and vbar. Competitions in which WR's can be set must be advertised months in advance etc. Future iron game historians should hold our records in high regard.

if i had known it was so easy to set up a world record breaking "contest" i would have long ago--

--i know 3 kids that can hit 250+ anyday---without practice-depends on the handle though--the variation between the 4 seperate handles--available-- has always bothered me---

made me wonder how this record can ever be measured-

-have promoted powerlifting/bodybuilding/strongman contests over the years--co promoted tough man-other less "sporting"events---i may indeed set up a rolling 'thick bar' contest--have a couple of thousand in prize money and settle this--

QUESTION to all:

----is the fatbastard 2.5 inch handle a more reliable device----?

or do you think i should stay with the 2 3/8" iron mind handle

Very nice!!!

But didn't magnus did more on RT? 129.5KG on his DVD?

Excellent lift! I remember reading Laine's writeup for the #3 cert quite a while ago. He seemed like a crazy strong guy who just sits in the background and might come up to the stage just to lift some huge iron and then walk out without saying a word. And I respect the hell out of that. :rock

Edit: Looked Laine up and he certified on the #3 in 2000.

:bow its a impressive lift ofcourse :bow

But didn't magnus did more on RT? 129.5KG on his DVD?

he said that he must make it official in a contest... so lets hope another wr :tongue

My attitude is that it is Randy's invention. If he wants to have a "single event grip contest" consisting of nothing but the Rolling Thunder, and recognize it as a World Record, that is fine by me.

I don't know if his attitude is "a 25 pound plate is a 25 pound plate", or he is of the Calibrating Persuasion. It seems like he would want to set a fairly high standard in that department, but I don't know. I am sure someone will eventually politely ask him and he will respond. Perhaps he will have a "brand new" handle rule for World Records, that would not surprise me at all. Even then, I doubt if any two handles are identical.

I like the Rolling Thunder and would like to see it in more grip contests. However, it seems that we are drifting away from it more and more. I think the reason it appears less and less in contests is not because of calibration and comparable handle issues, I think it is because grip guys are very democratic and don't like larger handed fellows to have an advantage, and let's face it, large hands are an advantage in this event.

Any way you slice it, Laine is to be commended, as that record stood for a while.

Hubgeezer

Awesome lift.

Very impressive indeed.