Crushing A Can

Guest Albert

I'm very new to gripboard, and I have a simple question. I've already searched for the answer and couldn't find anythng, so bear with me. Can anyone pop a soda or beer can with one hand? This is one of my goals and I'd love to get some advice in this area.

Thanks. I'll have to order that book and see what's up. I tried to pop a beer the other day and failed miserably. Seems to be all in the thumb. (big suprise)

I haven't heard of anyone doing it one-handed. Joe Kinney did some demonstrations in his video, all two-handed. Mostly the "strangle-hold" grip, but he also popped one by simply pushing both thumbs through the side of the can. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I myself am nowhere near bursting a can, but it is amazing. If you find anybody that can do it with one hand please post the source, I would love to see it.

Tom, you can pop a can just about anyone can. Put a pair of tight leather gloves on, if not you might cut yourself. Then put the can in your hands, one hand on top and the other on the bottom with the top of the can pointing out and away from you. A little tip now put your fingers inside the palms of the opposite hands. Now press and squeeze at the same time. As you are doing this after each squeeze rotate the can. You will see a little line forming around the can. Try to apply all the force into this line going around the can by forcing your middle finger into the line. For more strength/pressure while doing this place the back of the hand on the bottom of the can on your knee then press down. Should pop very easy this way. Use diet 7-up cooled and well shaken, not stirred (sorry, a little joke from a Bond 007 movie).

To get height out of a pop just point the can up vertically then squeeze. When they pop your friends can run under them a catch them for cash and prizes. :whistel Please wear gloves!

As for someone popping a can one handed it will happen.

Thanks Big Steve, sounds good, I'll give it a try. You made it look easy in your video. I also believe someone out there will do it with one hand if there isn't someone already.

Use diet 7-up cooled and well shaken

Hi Steve:

Is the goal to have the contents of the can under the most pressure (which would seem to be achieved by hot contents and well shaken), or the least pressure (which would seem to be achieved by cool contents and not shaken)?

Or doesn't it really matter with regards to the difficulty of crushing the can?

Do you use diet to simplify cleanup without all the sugar water everywhere?

thanks

I've done warm and cold soda cans and I think that the warm cans (max. pressure) are much easier. The reason to use diet 7-up is that 1) you won't get all sticky from sugar and 2) you won't stain anything with the dye they put in colas.

Well I'll be tickled pink. Got a room temperature diet 7-up, shook a little, then pop, pop, pop (sounds of top of can bumping out), then splash! The can looks like someone made a relatively neat scissor line around the middle.

Didn't have a loud gunshot sound as in the Kinney video, but then again, I was crushing in this seemingly much easier way. More of just a splash.

thanks for the tips!

yeah youd have to do it with some cheapo drink, cant be wasting good guiness or carling :ohmy

One of the guys at work brought in a soda can that he crushed - said it took him about 10 minutes, and when it went off it sounded like a gunshot. It burst on top - split at the seam.

I've gotten fairly good at crushing cans, and have done several dozen, but other than once, mine all burst at on the sidewall, and don't make much noise. I've done pepsi, coke, beer, hot, cold, shaken, not. Had my hands choked way down on the can so that the entire bottom bowed out before the sidewall split, and tried choking way up. Several times I didn't even use my fingers, and just pushed my palms against the can. Much more work, and took longer, but still a sidewall split.

Only once did I not get a sidewall tear. The top blew - looks like the tab opened due to a weakness, then the top split slightly after the tab opened. Much bigger noise. This looks similar to my coworkers can, but his split at the seam and the tab is still intact.

Once, in between rotating the can after a big squeeze, I noticed a fine stream of soda exiting the can and stopped and detected a small split in the side of the can. I was able to duplicate this. I'm guessing that I'm normally creating a very tiny slit, then the next crush just tears the can apart, rather than having it explode apart due to presure buildup and big squeeze.

Any ideas on how to get the "big bang?"

thanks

Big Steve can you choke a can and make it explode? I was just interested to see if anyone had duplicated Kinney yet. Thanks

This may sound weird to a nation of lager drinkers, but if there are any ale drinkers out there: Does a widget make it harder to burst? Cos all I'm doing at the moment is isometrics. (i.e. failing to burst them!)