F-911 Bolt.

Autolupus

The F-911 bolt went down today, DO. :D:D

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6459

Bending exotica, definitely a bend I'll remember! ;)

Got a poor quality clip of the bend:F-911 bend clip.

Well done. I haven't tried it but Clay said it's as hard as a 6" red. Post here http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=12121&hl= :rock

Since those reds back then were only in the 400 lbs range at 7 inches I'd say that's about right. Man I really thought it would break the first time I bent one and the springiness makes a G8 look easy. I can't immagine a 1/4 inch piece of steel being any harder than this thing.

Expensive though but one heck of a bend to be proud of.

Great job.

Tim

Great Job Mike they are tough bolts for sure you made short work of it!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Just watched it,nice job Mike :rock ,you actually mad that look kinda easy.

Thanks all! :D Yeah, definitely a springy one, had to fight it to get it under 2"! ;)

Great work on that bolt. I've tried one of those in the past that Brendan sent me... man it was tough!

form is looking good by the way! :rock

Mike

Those are tough bolts well tougher than the L9s and g8s even alot of reds congrats thats a nice springy bend.

The BIG F911s are even tougher :whistel

MikeThose are tough bolts well tougher than the L9s and g8s even alot of reds congrats thats a nice springy bend.The BIG F911s are even tougher :whistel
I wondered if you'd ever tried the 5/16 version. That would be a crazy bend. Plus EXPENSIVE.Tim[ Edited by Tim T

QUOTE(gazza @ Nov 11 2007, 10:24 AM) post_snapback.gifMikeThose are tough bolts well tougher than the L9s and g8s even alot of reds congrats thats a nice springy bend.The BIG F911s are even tougher :whistel I wondered if you'd ever tried the 5/16 version. That would be a crazy bend. Plus EXPENSIVE.Tim[

Tim

Brendan sent me 2 they are a FUN and HARD bend thats all i will say at this time?

I thought it seemed like you'd been laying low. I wondered what you'd come up with next. I bet with a 5/16 by 7 incher, you'd have to crush is down to an inch just to get it to spring back under 2. Really incredible steel they make these things with. I don't know of any tougher steel that will bend and not break.

Crazy stuff.

FYI, I contacted the company a while back, and I don't think the L9 bolts are made in lengths that can be bent anymore. I think the 1/4 inch stops at 3 inches or so and the 5/16 isn't much longer. Sure like to have had some.

Tim

Congrats on that thing man. I saw this thread just now for the first time. I have just tired a f911 today for the firs time. I got it stuck at 90 degrees. I did not think I was going to be able to kink it. I think it was my 4th try that it even bent at all. I really thought it wouldn't be that much thougher because I can do g8's pretty easily now.

My god that thing is springy, I think you can move it a good 10 degrees and it will come right back, it makes a g8 look like hrs. I got a blood blister now from trying to crush it. I have serious respect for this bend.

Gazza we were speculating about a 5/16" f911. I figured it had to be easier than a cut down stainless 3/8" and that you could get one. You've gotta get a video of that, those things are brutal 5/16" is unreal.

Tim,

Unreal aren't they? Still one of my all-time favorite bends. So springy I thought mine would break but it didn't. REALLY helps to keep this bolt moving all you can. Let it rest for just a slight bit and it will be mucho hombre to get moving again.

Where are you guys buying your F911s? I got mine from a bolts4u subsiderary but I can't find the exact same link.

Tim

Yes they are crazy. It will be a little while I think before I can finish that. I read an old thread Clay Edgin wrote saying that they were about as hard as a 6.25 red nail. Where do you think they fall? I still can't get a bastard or a red at 7" but I gotta be close when I can get this thing no?

I'm not sure where Braden got them. He said bolt depot or something but I can't find a listing on there. I will have to check back with him again. I have wrote an email to arp fasteners asking if they have non application specific bolts or unfinished rod. They have some super alloys for con rod bolts.

Take a look at this chart

http://www.centuryperformance.com/fastenermaterials.asp

Grade 5 yeild is 90k psi and grade 8 is 120k psi so juding by that it is about 33% stronger and the f911 is 8640 and they have 8740 listed at 160k psi so that is about a 33% jump again.

Imagine something like an L19 alloy at 230k psi and 40% stonger than an f911 or 90% stronger than a grade 8.

Or the AERMET 100 at 260k psi being 60% stronger than a f911 and 120% more than a grade 8.

That has to be getting close to Edgin strength in a 1/4" bolt. I would love to get some of that to send to get calibrated. There is also a AERMET 300 alloy that has over 300k psi tensile strength but I don't know if the yeild is stronger than the 100 alloy.

I know it is cheaper and more practical to bend thicker steel to increase resistance but I just think the super steel alloys would be very impressive to bend. I am hoping the arp people will be curious at the audacity of normal people to think they can bend these super strong steel alloys used in 7000hp top fuel con rod bolts.

Congrats on that thing man. I saw this thread just now for the first time. I have just tired a f911 today for the firs time. I got it stuck at 90 degrees. I did not think I was going to be able to kink it. I think it was my 4th try that it even bent at all. I really thought it wouldn't be that much thougher because I can do g8's pretty easily now.

My god that thing is springy, I think you can move it a good 10 degrees and it will come right back, it makes a g8 look like hrs. I got a blood blister now from trying to crush it. I have serious respect for this bend.

Gazza we were speculating about a 5/16" f911. I figured it had to be easier than a cut down stainless 3/8" and that you could get one. You've gotta get a video of that, those things are brutal 5/16" is unreal.

Cheers man! :D:D

Tim and Tim....

http://www.allensfasteners.com/bolt_index.asp

This is a great source for cheap bolts....

1/4-28 6" Grade 5s are 6 cents a piece... !?!?!?

5/16 Grade 5's ~ 30 cents

1/4-28 6" Grade 8's are 55 cents....

5/16 Grade 8s 60 cents....

1/4-28 F911 6" are $2.17

I agree with you guys... that bolt has some serious spring. Felt like I had moved it a good 15 degrees from the start and I only made

a tiny kink.

Braden

What's the difference between 1/4-20 (F911) GRADE 9 HEX BOLT and 1/4-28 (F911) GRADE 9 HEX BOLT.

Is it the pitch on the thread? :unsure

I did get a video of it.

Are you just teasing us or are you gonna upload it sometime? From the teaser vids you had going before and the 6" g8 vid I get the impression you are maybe gonna make a dvd to sell or something? I mean it is certainly reasonable given that pat and dennis are doing so and making money. Just don't become a stranger on here like them if you become a big shot eh?

Btw I can imagine the wifey would be impressed if your hobby and insanity actually began to MAKE money for you guys.

Oh ya and if by some long shot arp does get back to me and I can get some of those crazy super alloys would you like to give 5/16" a try? Your the only person I think might have a shot in hell at it?

Edited by timiacobucci