Horrible Bending Session!

Tim71

Man this stinks! Exactly 1 week ago I had a great bending session where I finally bent a grade 5. Well 3 of them actually. Also bent numerous 60d nails and took several really hard shots at a G8. Felt good all the way. I guess I kinda overdid it because 2 days later my hands had the old familiar ache which just got better early today. Well I though for sure I'd do a grade 8 tonight so I tried warming up and even pole-barn nails was painful. I proceeded anyway up the later and I got one of the super-shiny 60d nails that are really tough but it was all I could do. The pain got to be too much.

Question, do you guys ever need more than a week to recoup from a really, really hard bending session? I hate to lose any progress but I don't want to overdo it either. What's the longest you guys ever have to abstain from bending and rest? Stinks too because I bought lots of new stuff to bend and I just know I would've gotten the G8 last week if I hadn't been tired.

Tim

I hate to lose any progress but I don't want to overdo it either.
You need to rest longer from hard bending session than just a normal session. You make strength gains while resting not while working out.

Rest up and then hit the Grade 8! :rock

Question, do you guys ever need more than a week to recoup from a really, really hard bending session? I hate to lose any progress but I don't want to overdo it either.

Tim

I totally agree with GetAGrip. Don't think of resting as losing progress. I've had to take more than a week off to recover from bending. One time, I was still losing sleep 3 days after bending because the bones in my hand ached so bad. That was partially due to my crap form at the time, but live and learn; then rest and get stronger. There's no question you'll get the G8 soon, and you'll be glad you didn't injure yourself.

Congrats on the grade 5! As far as the rest goes, just listen to your body. Thats the best thing you can do. sometimes you need more recovery time, others less. Good luck.

- Aaron

You shouldn't (usually) need more than a week of rest. Make sure you are warming up enough even as you are getting stronger. With bending sometimes you will just have a crappy workout, its just the way it is. If that happens you can try some volume on really easy stuff, some levering or just rest up to get after it next time.

I bail on any workout that isn't working. If you aren't really in to the workout (something on your mind, distractions, etc) or you are injured then just give yourself some extra time. It's better to lose one or two sessions to heal then lose 2 or 3 months because you pushed yourself and can't do anything at all. It took me awhile to learn that with bending.

I know what you mean by the aching bones in the hand. I had that alot at first when my form was less than stellar. I've not had a problem with this until this last workout. It was a brutal workout though. I think I got kinda greedy and wanted more and more.

I thought I wasn't ready for another hard workout and I should've went with my feelings. I have a problem with getting frustrated. And I'm not real patient, especially when I just went to the farm store and stocked up on all these nice new bolts.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. As usual this board is a wealth of info.

We'll rest up for real and maybe work out the legs or something in the mean time.

Tim