I Wanna Cry!

Bill Piche

http://www.cyberpump.com/images/brokensilvereilte.jpg

I just blew up my unique Silver Elite.

Was forcing it shut and it blew up.

I looked in dismay.

I now need a new goal.

I wanna cry! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHA!

Fellow Silver Elite owners beware. It's likely with enough closes yours will BLOW up as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Tom Black

• terminator

• Bearcat 74

I said it before...Chrome plating does give spring wire a shorter

life span... :cry

May it "Rest In Peace" :inno

Oh yea,..My condolences....sniff

Truely a sad day, I will always remember it, it was my 1st BBE..... :cry:cry:cry

Wow, that's a Silver Elite defeat! Keep breaking your toys and Mommy ain't goin let you buy no mo' ! :yikes Keep up the good work!

http://www.cyberpump.com/images/brokensilvereilte.jpg

I just blew up my unique Silver Elite.

Was forcing it shut and it blew up.

I looked in dismay.

I now need a new goal. 

I wanna cry! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHA!

Fellow Silver Elite owners beware.  It's likely with enough closes yours will BLOW up as well.

Holy crap. I know mine probably has as many or more closes than yours. Is it going to become the next victim?

Were there any signs or strange noises before it happened? There seems to be some roughness on the adjacent coil.

This should keep people from grabbing the coil for assistance......

Will this cut down on the number of RB crushers ordered with chrome springs?

Bill, That sucks.

Sorry about your loss.

You will be in my prayers.

:(

No indication whatsoever. I was in shock.

It lay their in pieces on the floor.

The thought did come to mind that at least I did not get hurt.

It also came to mind -- cool....enough force to blow it up. BWAH!

Truely a sad day, I will always remember it, it was my 1st BBE..... :cry:cry:cry

In fact, Heath's hand was the only one that kissed the handles together in it's lifetime before it's untimely death. I plan on keeping it of course as a symbol. :cry

Are you gonna put it in a box and burry it in the back yard ?

Is it a fact that chrome springs break more easily? Any other stories of springs breaking? I have a 300 IP RB gripper and a 330 IP on its way with chrome springs, maybe no need for seasoning those grippers?

Is it a fact that chrome springs break more easily? Any other stories of springs breaking? I have a 300 IP RB gripper and a 330 IP on its way with chrome springs, maybe no need for seasoning those grippers?

I have heard that from Randy Strossen, Warren Tetting, and Bob Bollenbach, a few guys who know a bit about grippers.

Will it make me stop using my chrome ones? I just don't know yet.

Makes me wonder about spring drag. Notice the point of breakage, just a little past the point that the post of the spring contacts the main coil. On the inner coils I don’t think there is as much drag because the coils are parallel to each other, but the skew of the gripper may cause drag at that point, hard to say. Which side broke? I’d be willing to bet it was the dogleg side. I’m going to oil all my grippers that I commonly use as soon as possible!

Sorry for your loss, I have its brother twin brother here and he mourns as well. :(

Tom,

I use WD40 because it penetrates the porous surface of the wire

and helps it to expand when you bend the spring.

I`m talking about unplated grippers though

Personally I have always wondered about mine. It just doesn't feel the same as the IM grippers and I've always felt like I was pushing it beyond it's limits. I have never felt comfortable working out with it much and always feel like it is likely to blow up. Maybe I'll just throw it away now. :laugh

Wannagrip,

Your childish reaction to the loss of your gripper is embarrassing. It's time to get on with your life. Afterall, there are more important things in life than grippers. For instance,.... well, give me a minute....

On second thought… we shouldn’t be so quick to blame the just the chrome, I think the amount of spring deflection on these wide grippers is very detrimental to spring fatigue. As PDA pointed out, grippers are beyond spec. in terms of range of motion in degrees of spring movement. I have an old #1 that measures 8.2cm handle width (same as my old #3 and my Silver Elite) and I get the same feeling as Wade does about pushing them beyond their limits (on the #1 and negatives with the others), the range of motion just feels like too much.

I have been fearful lately with my #4. I keep my free hand over my eyes while I mash it shut with the other hand.

Of course, I have never seen myself shut it in this blind state, but I know you'll take my word for it.

And for some reason this thought plopped down and made itself at home in my brain: If certain people in Utah close a gripper, will multiple wives as witnesses lend more

credence to the certification?

I would allow it. Big of me. ;)

Maybe we should say the wide handled-chrome plated grippers

have 2 probable causes for breakage.

Torsion springs being bent beyond their range of stress tolerance

Hydrogen embrittlement from the chromeplating process

ATTENTION: One chomed BBE for sale! :tongue Spring EXPLOSION possible! Buyer assumes all risks! :mellow

Well, at least you and Kevin Fulton have something to talk about! :laugh

Joe,

I asked this question a while back. I live in Salt Lake City and I wondered who I could use as my witness when I certified. Is there a polygamist camp somewhere here that has Strossen's approval for this?

:cry:cry

I am still broken up about this.

:cry:cry:cry

My poor gripper.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! ;)

I do believe you are going to see some other ones like mine POP one of these days.

I still wonder how both pieces ended up on the floor. It happened so fast.