Vids

viper

some vids from yesterdays sesh!

pinching 2 20kg plates (no chalk) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoU3Oau-XQ0

power plate curling 20kg ( i messed up 1st attempts!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-58njO6GNE

an heres a 405lb double overhand dead (no hook) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnFU3t6-9MM

ive hardly ever done plate curls, an only power plate curls once before, so i was all over the place, but it honestly wasnt that hard strength wise, im sure ill be able to strict curl one someday, maybe sooner than later who knows - ill have to try it somewhen

Viper

some vids from yesterdays sesh!

pinching 2 20kg plates (no chalk) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoU3Oau-XQ0

power plate curling 20kg ( i messed up 1st attempts!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-58njO6GNE

an heres a 405lb double overhand dead (no hook) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnFU3t6-9MM

ive hardly ever done plate curls, an only power plate curls once before, so i was all over the place, but it honestly wasnt that hard strength wise, im sure ill be able to strict curl one someday, maybe sooner than later who knows - ill have to try it somewhen

Viper

nice pinch!

power curls and the deadlift are good too. Nice work.

There is no need for chalk with those plates. They both appear to have a thin rubber coating (the blue one does for sure) and slight rims (both). We have a set similar plates at Gymnation. Use metal plates only and smooth side out.

Edited by mobsterone
  • Like 1

There is no need for chalk with those plates. They both appear to have a thin rubber coating (the blue one does for sure) and slight rims (both). We have a set similar plates at Gymnation. Use metal plates only and smooth side out.

i wouldnt say the blue had any rim, it was basically flat on each side, an the black did have a rim, but i put it in on the inside, the other side was flat - i did it for 2 reps either hand

ill use whatever plates i want to do whatever i want mobster

That's as maybe, indeed for sure you can do whatever you wish. You seem upset at the criticism but you knew it was coming but if wish to have a lift recognised as being worthy in any way means or form then you will post lifts where you haven't cheated yourself.

It was for the longest time considered a feat of strength - never mind grip strength, to be able to one hand pinch and pick up a pair of 35lb plates. Some became capable of doing a pair in each hand. Later a few made it to a pair of 45's (or 2 20-kilo discs). There are videos on this site of one of the Gillingham boys passing a pair around his body. At ALL times the discs used in pinching are smooth - even if on one side only. The smooth sides are always outwards so that there is no rim. It's the same when people talk about picking up smooth sided small plates like 5 x 10, or 5 x 5-kilo plates or blobs. At no time is a rim involved nor are the plates covered in rubber.

Then we have seen multiple posts on the use of chalk helping most lifts and you made a point of bringing up that you had not used any in the post. Am I wrong to assume that this was so the feat would be more worthy in any way?

What you will not have seen is the use of thinly coated in rubber plates with, as I stated, a small rim (about 1/8th of an inch if memory of the discs in my local gym serves me) which is clearly visible on the video. Everyone knows about rubbers adhesive / gripping properties. Chalk and rubber is, of course, even easier.

So let me see if I have this right. You posted a lift just for the sake of it not asking for any kind of kudos whatsoever or you intended that we would be impressed by said lift in spite of the fact that the plates are coated in rubber, have a small rim and you barely hold onto them? The topic had 65 views and only 1 reply earlier? What does that say?

So carry on posting videos of lifts which will not be seen as anything like a feat of strength or save the time and effort and apply it to your training. In another year you may well become capable of doing it in a recognised way and then you will properly deserve any such recognition which comes your way. You KNOW that is the better way.

That's as maybe, indeed for sure you can do whatever you wish. You seem upset at the criticism but you knew it was coming but if wish to have a lift recognised as being worthy in any way means or form then you will post lifts where you haven't cheated yourself.

It was for the longest time considered a feat of strength - never mind grip strength, to be able to one hand pinch and pick up a pair of 35lb plates. Some became capable of doing a pair in each hand. Later a few made it to a pair of 45's (or 2 20-kilo discs). There are videos on this site of one of the Gillingham boys passing a pair around his body. At ALL times the discs used in pinching are smooth - even if on one side only. The smooth sides are always outwards so that there is no rim. It's the same when people talk about picking up smooth sided small plates like 5 x 10, or 5 x 5-kilo plates or blobs. At no time is a rim involved nor are the plates covered in rubber.

Then we have seen multiple posts on the use of chalk helping most lifts and you made a point of bringing up that you had not used any in the post. Am I wrong to assume that this was so the feat would be more worthy in any way?

What you will not have seen is the use of thinly coated in rubber plates with, as I stated, a small rim (about 1/8th of an inch if memory of the discs in my local gym serves me) which is clearly visible on the video. Everyone knows about rubbers adhesive / gripping properties. Chalk and rubber is, of course, even easier.

So let me see if I have this right. You posted a lift just for the sake of it not asking for any kind of kudos whatsoever or you intended that we would be impressed by said lift in spite of the fact that the plates are coated in rubber, have a small rim and you barely hold onto them? The topic had 65 views and only 1 reply earlier? What does that say?

So carry on posting videos of lifts which will not be seen as anything like a feat of strength or save the time and effort and apply it to your training. In another year you may well become capable of doing it in a recognised way and then you will properly deserve any such recognition which comes your way. You KNOW that is the better way.

firstly you tell me what to do, then you tell me what im thinking...no i didnt know this was coming, an yes i posted these vids not asking for any kudos for anything, hence why you will not find anything of me saying 'could you give me some kudos for doing these?' i posted them because i have read pinching 2 20kg plates / doing any kind of plate curl with one is a big deal, and i thought the gripsters on here might like to see them

ive watched the vid again, an i see what your complaining about, the little effort on the top of it..i dont understand why your complaining about it though? are you saying i was diging my finger tips into it somehow? if so it would be too high up to do that, plus my fingers are flat, i dont even think thats possible anyway, i didnt even notice it while doing this, it must have been very small

i did not barely hold on to them, i only droped them cuss they hit my thigh, plus this was the second rep, the first i fully deadlifted to my side an held it for a few seconds

i do consider most grip related things to be harder without the use of chalk, as this is usually the case - i did not do this without chalk because its a better feat, i wasnt even planing to do it, i just seen the two of em as i was on my way to the weights an wondered if i could pinch em, an did without chalk so i i didnt need it

p.s i got air with two metal 45's ages ago without doing any plate pinching before hand (smooth sides out and chalkless)

Viper, i have to say that Mob is right. I would not consider that lift pinching 2 20kg plates for the reasons he stated (not saying it is not a good lift, though). That being said, the curl and the deadlift are very respectable lifts. Next time, use metal plates smooth sides out. If you can pinch them, which i suspect you can with some training, a lot of us here on the GB would be very impressed.

• Like 1

Post that video instead then - it is far more worthy. Do not post a video using rubber coated and rimmed plates. Re the Kudos - it was in the form of a question as well as my own assumption (hence the use of the words why, assume and various question marks) - else why post it?

Post that video instead then - it is far more worthy. Do not post a video using rubber coated and rimmed plates. Re the Kudos - it was in the form of a question as well as my own assumption (hence the use of the words why, assume and various question marks) - else why post it?

if i want to post a video i will post it

i didnt go around looking for the perfect plate so you wouldn't moan about it, i just got the two nearest 20kg's, pinched them together, an lifted them up

but i can honestly say theres nothing wrong with that video, the plates are both flat, i dont care about some tiny little rim effort, cuss im pretty sure it made no difference, its too small, i didnt use it for anything - this is a pinch of 2 20 kilo plates, thats what its supposed to be, an thats what is is

as far as using metal plates, i dont see that as a good idea, as you could easily chip and damage them when your grip goes - i actually threw one of them down taking it off the bar after squatting once an it broke into about 10 bits..lucky for me nobody was there so i just shoved the bits it in the corner! :whistel

i would much rather use rubber plates that will not damage, so i can feel free to train to failure, an do cleans, or high pulls if i feel the need blah blah blah - if doing it with rubber plates is much easier, has anyone done 3 x 20kg with this kind of plate?

So I don't look a complete ass I'd like to hear what others think of your 'just posting a video'.

This is what you said: i didnt go around looking for the perfect plate so you wouldn't moan about it, i just got the two nearest 20kg's, pinched them together, an lifted them up but you forgot to add 'I then set up the video, filmed it, uploaded it to you tube, then linked to it on a grip forum but I wasn't expecting anything'. Give me a break.

So I don't look a complete ass I'd like to hear what others think of your 'just posting a video'.

This is what you said: i didnt go around looking for the perfect plate so you wouldn't moan about it, i just got the two nearest 20kg's, pinched them together, an lifted them up but you forgot to add 'I then set up the video, filmed it, uploaded it to you tube, then linked to it on a grip forum but I wasn't expecting anything'. Give me a break.

a break from what? this is pretty rediculous mobster..your crying about some little rim that i didnt use at all, an thats hardly even there, an it seems your trying to make out im looking for a load of congrads like im a bad guy, just because i posted a vid >even though i never said anything of the sort<

if it's easier with rubber plates (your probably right cuss the surface provides better grip, but im not 100% sure as its also wider), all you need to do is tell me, ive only ever done any kind of plate pinch about 5 times, an it dont say anything about the plates having to be metal in the records section - how am i supposed to know whats easier an whats harder? its just 20 kilo's to me

Not gonna take sides or anything, BUT.... I wouldn't consider this a 2-20kg plate pinch.

"Why?", some may ask, well the answer is obvious and it's been stated in here: they are rubber plates, PLUS they have a rim. I'm sure both factors, combined, sure make the lift easier.

About 1-2 weeks ago, gripguru (Pablo) posted a video of him doing it. About 1 week ago, Kevin Bussi also had a video of him doing it. Everyone said "congratulations!", why? Because it looked "legit". By legit, I mean that even if there is no rule, and you can pinch however the heck you wish, here in the gripboard the standard is to pinch metal plates, smooth side out.

But if you like lifting those plates and it does good for you - keep doing it! Just don't claim it to be a "2 20kg plate pinch" because under the regular standards, it isn't one.

That said, it's still something I'm probably far from doing. So, congratulations and keep up the good work - hope someday you pinch 2 20kg for real!! :rock

Not gonna take sides or anything, BUT.... I wouldn't consider this a 2-20kg plate pinch.

"Why?", some may ask, well the answer is obvious and it's been stated in here: they are rubber plates, PLUS they have a rim. I'm sure both factors, combined, sure make the lift easier.

About 1-2 weeks ago, gripguru (Pablo) posted a video of him doing it. About 1 week ago, Kevin Bussi also had a video of him doing it. Everyone said "congratulations!", why? Because it looked "legit". By legit, I mean that even if there is no rule, and you can pinch however the heck you wish, here in the gripboard the standard is to pinch metal plates, smooth side out.

But if you like lifting those plates and it does good for you - keep doing it! Just don't claim it to be a "2 20kg plate pinch" because under the regular standards, it isn't one.

That said, it's still something I'm probably far from doing. So, congratulations and keep up the good work - hope someday you pinch 2 20kg for real!! :rock

like i said, i got air with 2 metal 45's first time trying without doing any pinch a while back

i honest dont think that tiny rim could possibly make any difference (please explain how it could?), but fair enough if thats the rules, though i wish to continue using rubber plates, i dont want to damage plates

at the end of the day, all im saying that is, is pinching two 20 kilo plates together an lifting them up - this is the truth, i didnt say they were metal

Odd that the lifts were done using rubber plates except for the deadlift that used steel plates. The rimmed rubber plates made it easy and not comparable with lifts made using steel plates smooth side out. The curl was nothing more than a heave and swing. The deadlift looked ok though. If you post claims and vids here you muct expect criticism good and bad. Mobs has had more than his share of crticism and he has defended himself in a proper way.

Odd that the lifts were done using rubber plates except for the deadlift that used steel plates. The rimmed rubber plates made it easy and not comparable with lifts made using steel plates smooth side out. The curl was nothing more than a heave and swing. The deadlift looked ok though. If you post claims and vids here you muct expect criticism good and bad. Mobs has had more than his share of crticism and he has defended himself in a proper way.

there was 2 steel plates out of the 8 on the deadlift, the rest were rubber

i thought the 2nd attempt on the right was a pretty decent power curl, other than that, yeh, fair enough, a monkey would have put me to shame

like i said, i got air with 2 metal 45's first time trying without doing any pinch a while back

So you could DL 2 metal 45's with no pinch training but now that you train pinch you can only do rubber coated 20kilos?

So you could DL 2 metal 45's with no pinch training but now that you train pinch you can only do rubber coated 20kilos?

not no pinch training, just no plate pinching, i train pinch in work a lot (with carpets)

when i tried it with the metal plates (6 months ago at a guess), with my right hand i managed to get them a few inch from the floor until one of the plate crushed inside the other an they fell down, an i couldnt move them at all with my left

this time i did those rubber ones for 1 fully deadlift right hand, plus one high but not locked, then 1 fully deadlift left hand with a couple seconds holding it, then the 2nd effort was that vid moments later (i dont know if this is the best i could do, as i didnt try anything else)

ive been doing most things in work with my left hand to get it stronger (i am right handed so it was weaker), managed to close #3 with the left now, an as you can see from this, my pinch is now stronger with my left

I'm never gonna knock Vipers obvious enthusasm (sp) but to deny the 'small rim' making a difference is to deny knurling and the like not making any difference to the grip on a barbell. I could explain in some detail (anyone that knows me to talk to knows I can talk the hind legs of a donkey) how a 1/8th rubberized rim helps the grip in a patently obvious way but I suspect I'd be singing to the choir - it's that obvious.

As for the lack of knowledge - that's just tosh. I am more than aware of posts made 18 months ago on Muscletalk.co.uk when you started showing an interest in grip strength (the apples and potatoe crushing posts and later videos), I'm aware of what must be at least 4 months and probably a lot longer posting on here and of the many video clips of grip feats you've put on Youtube. So to have shown that means you are aware of some of the history and certainly that they are considered feats of grip strength. Here's one which has been on here for ages and was mentioned today: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=3059

That means you will be well aware that EVERY single time pinching of any kind has been mentioned but especially of plate pinching not a single person has ever made a video, never mind a claim, of them using rubber discs - with a rim (if small).

Finally, as someone else has mentioned, if you can just pick up and appear (allowing for the knock against the thigh you mentioned) to just hold onto a pair of rubber coated and lightly rimmed discs I'll have to take the idea of smooth sided metal discs - regardless of thickness - with a pinch of salt (pun on pinch not intended).

In a few more months you'll have hammered your pinch and will be back here showing me up something chronic - it's worth the wait.

Edited by mobsterone

I'm never gonna knock Vipers obvious enthusasm (sp) but to deny the 'small rim' making a difference is to deny knurling and the like not making any difference to the grip on a barbell. I could explain in some detail (anyone that knows me to talk to knows I can talk the hind legs of a donkey) how a 1/8th rubberized rim helps the grip in a patently obvious way but I suspect I'd be singing to the choir - it's that obvious.

As for the lack of knowledge - that's just tosh. I am more than aware of posts made 18 months ago on Muscletalk.co.uk when you started showing an interest in grip strength (the apples and potatoe crushing posts and later videos), I'm aware of what must be at least 4 months and probably a lot longer posting on here and of the many video clips of grip feats you've put on Youtube. So to have shown that means you are aware of some of the history and certainly that they are considered feats of grip strength. Here's one which has been on here for ages and was mentioned today: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=3059

That means you will be well aware that EVERY single time pinching of any kind has been mentioned but especially of plate pinching not a single person has ever made a video, never mind a claim, of them using rubber discs - with a rim (if small).

Finally, as someone else has mentioned, if you can just pick up and appear (allowing for the knock against the thigh you mentioned) to just hold onto a pair of rubber coated and lightly rimmed discs I'll have to take the idea of smooth sided metal discs - regardless of thickness - with a pinch of salt (pun on pinch not intended).

In a few more months you'll have hammered your pinch and will be back here showing me up something chronic - it's worth the wait.

you must surely be confused on the 18 months there mobster! i started training with weights in september of last year, an started grip training with tennis balls a month later (led to the apple an spud stuff), im pretty sure ive been grip training for about 12 months

oh no no, im not saying i dont have grip knowledge (obviously nothing compared to the likes of yourself though), just not much on pinch, and ive only seen a couple of videos of plate pinching - this comp dont let me view the gripboard vids! ive seen wades stuff once (throwing the 45's around his body like 20 times or something), an then some stuff from sexton (6 10's an i think 3 35's)

haha ill certainly try! ill try do that passing them around thing with those 20's, an im thinking of going for 3 15 kilos (the yellow ones on the floor in that vid), an two 25 kilos

I agree with Mob. We have a few rubber coated plates with light rims in one of the gyms here on campus, and they are night and day easier to hoist (yes I can pinch 2 45s -check out my gallery). With that said, a friend of mine has been a carpet layer about 6 years now, and the first time that I handed him my #2 he missed it by less than a quarter inch with no chalk. True it requires strong hands, so I won't doubt that you can pinch the weight, we just want it with the steel plates.

Just curious why the vids are posted here, and not in the gallery?

A lip on the plates, even a small one, makes a big difference (especially on a rubber plate). I can't close a #3 yet and my pinch is even worse because of evultion fractures in my thumbs from BJJ (that's when the tendons are ripped off the bone). Yet I can still pinch two 20kg rubber coated plates. I can't even get close at all on smooth metal plates. I'm not saying this because I don't think you can pinch two 20kg metal plates, I'm just trying to illustrate the difference between the two things.

I think people get too used to the gripmasters and freaks on this board and forget that pinching two 20kg rubber plates still takes a fair amount of grip strength and posting a video of it is no different from people who post videos of a #1 or #2 close. It is still an achievment far above the abilities of the average fit and healthy male.

In my opinion, those were legitament lifts.

The reason for it is that the round lip plates has less surface area, and causes the plates to fan out - hence - making the lifts harder.

You can say that the rubber creates greater friction, and I agreed, but we cannot simply push this feat aside.

A lip on the plates, even a small one, makes a big difference (especially on a rubber plate). I can't close a #3 yet and my pinch is even worse because of evultion fractures in my thumbs from BJJ (that's when the tendons are ripped off the bone). Yet I can still pinch two 20kg rubber coated plates. I can't even get close at all on smooth metal plates. I'm not saying this because I don't think you can pinch two 20kg metal plates, I'm just trying to illustrate the difference between the two things.

I think people get too used to the gripmasters and freaks on this board and forget that pinching two 20kg rubber plates still takes a fair amount of grip strength and posting a video of it is no different from people who post videos of a #1 or #2 close. It is still an achievment far above the abilities of the average fit and healthy male.

your saying its only as hard as a #1 or a #2? if thats the case my pinch is pathetic compared to my crush an hold strength, as i can get #2 for about 40 reps, an #1 for many more...ill have to work on this

In my opinion, those were legitament lifts.

The reason for it is that the round lip plates has less surface area, and causes the plates to fan out - hence - making the lifts harder.

You can say that the rubber creates greater friction, and I agreed, but we cannot simply push this feat aside.

cheers

yeh they were trying to do that, just picked up two nearest plates

i am being put on the list anyway, seems the metal plate rule thing is not an official rule